Does anyone know of any organizations that can hold Funeral services that are non-denomonational, and not affiliated with a particular religious organization? I do not want to have a Christian funeral in a Christian church, becasue I have severed my ties with that particular organized religious order many years ago. Here in the Bible Belt of the USA it seems this is the only way funerals are perfomed unless you are of one of the other big religious orders, such as Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. Is there anything out there for a spiritualist who is not a member of a religious order? Hopefully I will not have to make a decision on this for many many years to come, but one never knows how long one has in this life, and I'd like to make preparations ahead of time, and state in my will what my choice of funeral service will be and arrange with whatever organization can perform it. I would also like to be cremated. I see no reason to take up real estate with my cold lifeless, soulless corpse. And I don't need relatives and frinds visiting my grave when I'm not really there to visit anyway.

Any suggestions or leads are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lars

Hi

I have a similar problem. I do not want a salvation message preached at my furnel. I think it is rude to try to convert the people who came to pay their last respects.I just hate the I am right and you are wrong attitude,of many preachers.If my husband dies first we will have only grave side services that I will orchestrate.

On the other hand funnel are to comfort the living. My husband being a Christian will have a big church service.I guess if this helps him with the loss it is fine. I wont be here to know the difference.

Big funnels won't help or hurt me.I know my tomb stone will read Faith is not knowledge.I would advise you to make the arrangements that would be a comfort to you. Don't buy into this is traditionally do what you want.Furnels are designed to Ring as much money out you as possible.

I have a serious heart problem that I need surgery for so I have been looking into this sor some time.

Good Luck

jba

If you aren't being buried, your funeral services could be arranged no differently than a family reunion or small party (depending on how many people you expect to attend), so any friend or family member you would trust to plan such an event could be put in charge.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently going to school to become a funeral director. Funeral services are not limited. If you want something done a certain way all you have to do is ask. They may give you some BS bout not being able to do it. It maybe that they can't do it, just they have never done it before and are scared of the unknown. Me being a pagan, I dont want a preacher telling everybody that loved me that I am going to hell because I wasnt a christian....(I know not all of them will but I have been to a funeral where the preacher said that). Many people now are using what is known as a celebrant. They are just people that talk about the deceased's life. Nothing really spiritual about it. I guess the main point of my rambling is to ask the funeral director to do it. Just remember though, older directors are set in their ways and that they are afraid of change. They like traditions. Anything (within reason) can be done at a funeral. Just ask. I know I want to run a funeral home that will comply to any religious needs of the people. Whatever they may be.

Amanda

Does anyone know of any organizations that can hold Funeral services that are non-denomonational, and not affiliated with a particular religious organization? I do not want to have a Christian funeral in a Christian church, becasue I have severed my ties with that particular organized religious order many years ago. Here in the Bible Belt of the USA it seems this is the only way funerals are perfomed unless you are of one of the other big religious orders, such as Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist, etc. Is there anything out there for a spiritualist who is not a member of a religious order? Hopefully I will not have to make a decision on this for many many years to come, but one never knows how long one has in this life, and I'd like to make preparations ahead of time, and state in my will what my choice of funeral service will be and arrange with whatever organization can perform it. I would also like to be cremated. I see no reason to take up real estate with my cold lifeless, soulless corpse. And I don't need relatives and frinds visiting my grave when I'm not really there to visit anyway.

Any suggestions or leads are appreciated.

Thanks,

Lars

Since you and I live in the DFW area, I will be more than happy to serve as your celebrant...seriously

(We are also descended from Norsemen on my father's side of the family)

Edited by Yael - HaMorit

I found that you can give your body to science, they will show up and take it away. No cost, no service, no problems ! They will send your ashes (after they get done with you that is) to anyone you say or to a family member OR they will place your ashes in their own grave yard they maintain. One such company is "IIAM" International Institute for the Advancement of Medicine

This is what I told my kids and neighbors that I want when I head off to the happy hunting grounds !

Just a idea !

Many minsters do a basic service, there are the Universalists that will do a very non anything service, or one according to your more specific beliefs.

Or you merely have friends and family members go up and lie about how much they loved you and so on. ** joking about the lie of course.

even tho i am buddhist,i prepared one for a women whose beliefs were amish.her family was not sure what that meant,and she really couldn't say before she died.

amy long has a book"weddings,funerals,and rites of passage"which covers a few different ceremonies.i don't know that her new book is out yet.there is a ceremony listed in the afore mentioned for"spiritualist"that can be modifed as needed.or you can do as suggested,and just have a party.that's what i've instructed my sister to do.one other thought is the spiritual humanist organization.there should be a group in dallas/ft.worth.

Hello from the D/FW bible belt!

A couple years ago we worked with an alternative funeral company we learned about thru a hospice of the family member that had died. They got us a permit to hold the memorial service on the shore of Lake Arlington. Try this google search. If you work with a company like that and pre-pay it, I doubt the family would go against it.

I think I would like to be remembered in a planetarium.

Us D/FW peeps should start a congregation, eh?

• Amulet locked this topic