State Laws

BJM

I was unable to leave a comment on one of the previous forums regarding state laws and links to codes for those states, so I just had to create this forum to say THANK YOU for having that information available. Ever since I was ordained in February, I have been trying to locate information regarding California's state laws and codes, but kept coming up empty handed. The information provided to us here, gave me exactly what I had been looking for all along! :thumbu:

Thank you again everyone who helps provide information for those of us who need it! It is GREATLY appreciated! :clap2:

Sincerely,

Brandi

• 2 weeks later...
I was unable to leave a comment on one of the previous forums regarding state laws and links to codes for those states, so I just had to create this forum to say THANK YOU for having that information available. Ever since I was ordained in February, I have been trying to locate information regarding California's state laws and codes, but kept coming up empty handed. The information provided to us here, gave me exactly what I had been looking for all along! :thumbu:

Thank you again everyone who helps provide information for those of us who need it! It is GREATLY appreciated! :clap2:

Sincerely,

Brandi

Unfortunatelly, I'm not familiar with the other forum and codes referenced ...

Just a note of warning to others, in researching wedding solemnization regulations in the State of Oregon, I found almost all relevant websites had outdated, inaccurate and misleading information (for Oregon). The only place I found with accurate information was going to the State's Secretary of State's website and thereon doing a search for the relevant regulations.

Blessings.

Edited by RevJimSr

• Administrator
Just a note of warning to others, in researching wedding solemnization regulations in the State of Oregon, I found almost all relevant websites had outdated, inaccurate and misleading information (for Oregon).

Which is why our forum here only points to the various states official annotated or statutory codified laws.

But you are right. There is nothing worse than being referred to an outdated site.

Which is why our forum here only points to the various states official annotated or statutory codified laws.

But you are right. There is nothing worse than being referred to an outdated site.

I guess I'm a little slow ... in combing through this forum, I've not yet found a pointer herein to an officialk site ... are you simply saying that the forum speaks only of the need for individuals to refer to official sites???

One of the reasons I brought this up is that the several unofficial sites I've visited refer only to outdated Oregon statutes and regulations that did not recognize ULC ordinations or licensure. Current Oregon regulations do now recognize ULC ministers as having authority to solemnize marriages, provided ULC so authorizes them to perform marriages.

• Administrator

I'm saying that on this forums (Legal Questions) main page you will find a pinned topic called Frequently Asked Marriage Laws - US States which contains links to the most official site offered by that state. Here at ULC Online try very hard not to lead someone down the wrong path even unintentionally and try to keep those links updated regularly. We only refer persons to those official sites.

I'm saying that on this forums (Legal Questions) main page you will find a pinned topic called Frequently Asked Marriage Laws - US States which contains links to the most official site offered by that state. Here at ULC Online try very hard not to lead someone down the wrong path even unintentionally and try to keep those links updated regularly. We only refer persons to those official sites.

Thanks for the clarification.

What I found is that the “Link to the various states official laws” that leads to the Cornell University site that eventually leads only to the state’s statutes on marriage and domestic partnerships.

Your link “ULCnet page of all states” DOES take you to a CURRENT summary of the rules for who may solemnize marriages in Oregon.

Interestingly enough, a site claiming to be the official “ULC headquarters site” http://www.ulchq.com/statelaws.htm contains wholly incorrect information. The info it provides about filing credentials with the County Clerk was stricken from the statutes in 2001.

I appreciate the forums efforts to provide current and accurate information.

Thank you

Namaste’

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs to know about SC I went to the anderson county court house yesterday and the only thing necessary was to be "A minister of the gospel". This is to be interpreted as whatever your religion is. They did not even want to see any paperwork. Such as my ordination papers. all you do is officiate!