Ulc Degree Granting Status

Viet Nguyen

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno if this will help but...

Recently in searching through various seminary and religious schools I started looking at official accreditation for many of these schools. Apparently the Department of Education does not accredit schools of a religious/spiritual nature...at all.

There are private accrediting agencies/organizations out there, I know of the (read: have recently learned about) WWAC (World Wide Accreditation Commission) for christian schools but I don't know about other religions.

As far as I know since the DoE doesn't accredit these schools (I have no idea why) most states take the various religious degrees at face value, but don't quote me on that as I may be way off base.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator
Why an Honorary Doctor of Divinity requires a payment of $20?

You receive the DD upon ordination. If you want the actual certificate to hang on the wall you can pay the extra for it. You don't have to get it. The $20 helps defray the cost of production materials and staff.

You receive the DD upon ordination. If you want the actual certificate to hang on the wall you can pay the extra for it. You don't have to get it. The $20 helps defray the cost of production materials and staff.

Ummm not since atleast 2002 and not from the HQ....

Forgive my ignorance, but whats an honouary degree ? lol

this might help.in england(as i understand it)and some other countries in europe,a doctor of divinty is the highest degree you can earn when studying for the ministry,or religion.in the us,a dd is honorary no matter where you get it.

some colleges and universeities confer a doctor of humain letters to certin vips and big money donors.this is also an honorary degree.

So an Honourary Degree is just the same as a normal degree, but with no pre-requisite qualifications ?

And thus it's something that can be added to a CV ?

Yes and no. Yes for any honarary degree offered through a "traditional" school. An honorary degree from the ULC not so much, except perhaps to apply for a religious oriented position. Others could provide other insight.

Going back to the original question of this thread, I found the original court document stating ULC has the rights to grant Honorary D.D.

http://www.ourlady.biz/images/ULCvUnitedStatesOfAmerica.pdf

Wow! By reading this, I learned so much more about the activities of ULC-Modesto and I am proud to be involved with the organization to promote understanding among religious beliefs. It appears that the Hensleys were honest people trying to do an honest work. Everyone should read this court document and understand the impact it has on our daily practice to "do that which is right." Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Yael

• 4 weeks later...

Just to give my opinion th title Doctor as in for a degree may be contested if the degree is from our Church and could be illegal in some areas to use if you state Rev.Dr. in your title on its own. Mostly outside the US from my research. But if you get the SPECIAL CHURCH TITLE Reverend Doctor since its a relious title sactioned ,akin to priest or rabbi, it would be allowed to be used before your name. Most countries can't dictate titles inside a church hierarchy it seems outside of very fundmentalist ones.