What Are You Doing With Your Ordination?

I have been through so much in my life, God has been my only true comfort. When all things in my life threaten to break my heart forever or i lose faith in humanity, God has been with me thru all of it. I have always felt special to him, like he had something different planned for me. My plan was not his plan lol, so i prayed. I put all my fears and dreams in his hands and asked him to please not give up on me. I am young,29, and i still have so much to learn. I asked him if it was his will that i share his word with others, then i started having dreams of doing it. Then i knew he was giving me his answer. I do this with an open heart, and i will do my very best not to let him down. I want to open a church.

On Nov. 6th Maine passed same sex marriages. My mother and her partner have been waiting for this day since they met nearly 10 years ago. I've applied to become ordained so that I may support my mother in the ultimate way possible, to officiate her wedding.

That is a very touching gesture, Jay. If the ceremony has already passed, congratulations to the lucky couple! If not, I wish you, your mother and her partner the very best of luck.

I myself became ordained for a number of reasons; but most notably to officiate the joining of two of my closest friends. A best friend of many, many years and his lovely fiance, whom I have come to know almost as closely as a sister. They are the couple that introduced me to my own shining light, my wife, the love of my life.

I have always considered myself a spiritual person, and even spent time working in two very different clergies in my younger years. Growing up, I was told by friends, loved ones and even those not familiar to me that I was blessed with wisdom and understanding well beyond my years. That mindset often cultivated situations in which my outlook was sought for guidance.

As I grew up though, I wanted to gain exposure to the many religious offerings the world had to offer. Not only was I fascinated by the multitude of differing practices, but that fascination and open-mindedness ultimately drove me to my current understanding and the influence I have received by the many overlapping ideals.

I found The Universal Life Church and found that its beliefs and understandings were that of my own. That the acceptance of others and the indelible expansion of goodwill are the ideals around which all religious beliefs should center.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got ordained in 2012 because i wanted to do better make something of my self and maybe someday is my hope to preach in a church . I also realized all my friends. Has ulc ordaination after i got mine it makes me feel great to be a ordain minister i also do prayers

Peace

Lordie

• 1 month later...

The ordination serves no real purpose to me, I just thought it was amusing to be an ordained atheist. =)

I like that you are honest.

The ordination serves no real purpose to me, I just thought it was amusing to be an ordained atheist. =)

I like that you are honest.

okay how do I get out of here?

Hmm, well after being ordained I went to the Comptroll's office and received a business tax permit. (Business name obtained, woot woot!)

I am wating for my spouse to receive her BA in Microbiology next year and we plan to move to the country. There I plan to sale caskets, preform weddings and if can open a country Inn for newlyweds. blink.gif

Nice.

If I can make a difference, a small difference, then that is my purpose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The reason i had gotten my ordination, being a Witch, and priest of the old faith of the wise my coven as well the coven's i had trained with are not incorporated in any state nor are they under and legal protection per say within the government as they didnt and do not feel it needed to do so.

As such i wanted to beable to legally do the things needed for my tribe personally as well help out any others that may want or need it.

in a manner that is concurrent with my faith and practice as a witch and priest of the faith of the wise.

Hail and well met,

Blessed be,

Merry part, till merry meet again,

Flax flagg fodder and frigg.

Rev, hughes.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I was ordained in 2010. I didn't do anything with it or really even let anyone know. This past year I have performed two weddings. My question is this. How do you respond to people, even other ministers, when given the "your a internet minister with no official training". I am Christian and for the past year or so I have been studying the bible and doing a lot of reading. I cant quite bible verse's like someone that has had seminary training but I feel I know a lot more than the average joe when it comes to the bible.

I was ordained in 2010. I didn't do anything with it or really even let anyone know. This past year I have performed two weddings. My question is this. How do you respond to people, even other ministers, when given the "your a internet minister with no official training". I am Christian and for the past year or so I have been studying the bible and doing a lot of reading. I cant quite bible verse's like someone that has had seminary training but I feel I know a lot more than the average joe when it comes to the bible.

i don't see a need to explain anything to anyone.do what your beliefs tell you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd reply that my 57 years on this earth is all the training required by my Creator. (I'd also be tempted to remind the Christian ministers that Jesus Christ was a Jewish lay-teacher.)

• 3 months later...

I got ordained because I have been self-employed as a Spiritual Care Provider but I had no major certificates or degrees as I am self-taught (although I did take an online course training in spiritual care and have a certificate for that training) and felt being ordained will help make what I do look more serious, as my husband would say, one needs a piece of paper to be taken seriously in the job world...But now I want to become employed as one as well, but I am discovering that to become employed in any kind of Spiritual Care Provider work offline, I need to be a Chaplain or have a Masters degree in the field of religion. So next month, I will begin my training here to get my Chaplaincy certificate, my Masters of Ministry and then my Doctorate of Ministry degrees. This is definitely my vocation and passion.

I have never liked a traditional classroom setting and found I do much better in studies by doing them online. This will be my 4th time taking an online course.

Edited by LorriePaige

I did it because I could, never took it really seriously until the last few years, but never quite knew if I was the "right" person to become a minister... I have never really been very religious, I believe in God, but, being a Roman Catholic, those long masses put me off on the whole church thing. I then became a "chapel guide" after Basic Training to mentor and offer spiritual advice to those Basic Trainees that started after me. I went to a Catholic mass once, and did the non-denom after that. I really enjoyed the non-denom stuff, it gets the point across like RC, but not in the same "strict" way... I made some mistakes, I swear, I curse... and now I find myself wanting to be a youth pastor (applied for a job here in SC doing this same thing)... but I have no "experience" and I'm not sure if I should even have the right to be a minister

I did it because I could, never took it really seriously until the last few years, but never quite knew if I was the "right" person to become a minister... I have never really been very religious, I believe in God, but, being a Roman Catholic, those long masses put me off on the whole church thing. I then became a "chapel guide" after Basic Training to mentor and offer spiritual advice to those Basic Trainees that started after me. I went to a Catholic mass once, and did the non-denom after that. I really enjoyed the non-denom stuff, it gets the point across like RC, but not in the same "strict" way... I made some mistakes, I swear, I curse... and now I find myself wanting to be a youth pastor (applied for a job here in SC doing this same thing)... but I have no "experience" and I'm not sure if I should even have the right to be a minister

Do you mean basic for the military? If so, which branch and where did you go to basic? And I'm also a SC native

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I WAS ....DARN CAPS...I WAS ..DANG IT..i was ordained by ULC in 2010..i'm disabled as i have a sleep disorder and extreme anxieties and am unemployable for those reasons(long story). Over the years due to my unemployment ,i had  a lot of time to study the old and new testaments using various books other than just the bible,as well as using free studies and material that are offered over the net as well as literature like the complete works of Josephus,the larger than life Historical character..(I think Josephus was also a Country & Western singer which added to his fame....)I studied  some free BIble Courses that were offered on the Internet ,as well as the fact my best friend was  an ordained Minister  with the Assembly of God Church..So i had some help with my studies..But i didn't have the money to do what had to be done in order to achieve my dream..i had to have tools of the ministry..i couldn't afford the stuff that was being offered by the fundamental  mainstream doctrinal churches of our day..The Universal Life Church was the only Church that recognized me as  a minister,without my having to pass expensive tests or attend an expensive seminary school or having to dedicate my loyalty faith and behavior to a Church that works via a religious system..The ULC has allowed me  ,inexpensively ,(well within my monthly budget) to be Ordained and to have the tools of study and the tools of legitimate recognition that are necessary ,which makes me feel  secure about my calling and what i'm doing..nobody can call me a wannabe minister..i now have the credentials to back up the fact that i'm as legitimate as any minister,whether he be a small local preacher or a famous well known rich guy like ..well...no names..But you get my drift.I appreciate the ULC whole heartedly and have immense respect for it's belief in people and their rights to be ordained and preach what they believe to be right..If everyone here can truly agree to disagree in calm and  with respect for one another,then you know ULC is doing it's job..and so far...The ULC is awesome and a god send.Thank you ULC. 

• 3 months later...

One of my fav saying is God is On Time All the Time.. I originally got my ordination to assist a friend doing weddings. I love theology and philosophy and in the last few years the Spirit led me to creating a website using the Word  "of all faiths" with posts on how to Live and apply the Word to our daily lives. I have received positive response and now am working on getting my site allaboutchoicesjc,com out there more for others to read and share. I am happy to see this forum and hope to create new friends thru this. I am in process of completing the Comparative Religions course now and will definitely be using it on my site...as Life is All About Choices and it is our thoughts, words, and actions that create what comes next in our lives journey. Peace. Renee'

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic