What Are You Doing With Your Ordination?

It was a calling is all I can say, for me that is. I've been to a "church" or two in my day and found that the ones I did go to were nothing more than a club...In other words, if you was not dressed right or put money in the collection plate, you really could not be "in the club" without members talking down about you you behind your back. As a child I was basically bribed to go to Sunday school each week with photos taken of me and my dog, at the time, and told "If you come back next week we'll have a picture for you". I won't mention the candy given on the bus. Some people won't attend a church for the same reasons basically, so I am using my ordination to spread the word of God for the regular people, the average folks. I have no dress code other than wear what makes you feel good and as far as a donation plate...There is none...I work for a living and pay my bills, including the bills of the church I have. I find that the average person would like to donate but not in front of, or beside, someone. So my hat's off to the ULC for doing what they do in allowing us to persue our dreams of the perfect "church".

I am blessed in life these days and I hope those who read this are blessed as well.

I agree, it's so hard to attend a church that makes you feel not good enough, been to many of those and never fit in, followed my heart to the one place that lets you be you. The ULC Thanks for you post.. I have a daughter in your area hope she finds your church. :thumbu:

Edited by livelovelaugh
I am a military spouse,,,so my life is in and around military bases. We have no pagan chaplains ,but we have many pagans in the military. I want to use my oridnation to work with Military Pagans who have no where else to turn.

Rev.Barb

I am a military spouse also and I completely agree, very few pagan ministers. Everyone at my husbands work knows I am a minister because they get the mail there and see what I have ordered. I am seeing a pick up in interest due to that.

All the luck to you!!

• 3 weeks later...

So far, I’ve ben involved with the creation and etc. of a small, home-based Deist church in the Southern California area. I’ve managed mostly structural tasks: chartering w/ULC, getting a DBA & EIN; my wife and myself have bought business cards, with our names on them, and soon, I’ll be putting together a series of Meetups in a nearby park for outdoor, informal fellowship.

What I mostly want to do is reach out to other Deists that still need a more traditional “church” structure. I’m planning to to outreach in the Los Angeles prison system, and to teenager self-help organizations…. Both to counsel these and to educate about self-empowerment. We’ll also celebrate the passage of the seasons, and rites of growing and and self-development.

Only one thing have I not figured out yet: I want to join with other ULC ministers in the L.A. area and help the needy with programs for “good deeds.” Many non Christian ministers would like to “do good,” but feel that no one would take them seriously. Does anyone know how to put this one together?

Back in the early 1970’s, there was a “Deist seminary” in Central Wisconsin and they came to our school during “Career Day.” They did educational outreach, mostly to teens, and their members gathered up food, clothes and toiletries for the needy in Milwaukee, Brookfield, and Madison. That was when I discovered the principles of my own faith. Nothing has ever been the same since.

My partner originally became ordained and then after some talking, I joined in his mission. I am a psychologist and loved the idea of being able to use my faith and knowledge in working with people. My partner and I currently have started a church in our home, we visit inmates at a prison in Missouri, we have started a letter writing to these prisoners, we have weekly meetings and sermons as well as a small, but growing youth program.

Hello, I was interested in your letter writing program to inmates. I would love to become involved with that, so please feel free to contact me so I can get some info. and get started. I believe this to be a very important thing to do--to bring hope to otherwise lost or hopeless souls. Thanks!

I did it because I thought it was interesting. The more and more I thought about it, the more I realized it was a calling that was deeply personal. I guess you could say that I was 'joking around' or 'curious' about the whole process. But, I have transcended all of this. I have a new found purpose and it lights a flame inside of me.

I don't pretend to be all knowing, all percieving of God's works. I do, however, see myself as a new type of vessel to unite others who love one another. I've been to lots and lots of weddings. One thing I've always noticed was how people say to the bride and groom, "this is your day." However, most ministers seem to take an awful lot of time to preach to the people gathered together. Perhaps that is their calling.

But in my ministry, I want to make the focus of any wedding, funeral or baptism to be on the relationship of those involved. Instead of simply officiating an event, I want to be able to take a personal part in it and make it a piece of me by ensuring that the event is beautifully reflective of those who have sought my guidance. I recognize that most ministers, JOPs, priests, etc rarely have a personal stake in the marriage they are performing. I want to be different. I want the words, the sounds, the sights and the meaning to be personal and touching rather than be canned and ritualistic.

I believe our lives are covenents among and between all with whom we are surrounded. I haven't done any weddings yet. But, I did design one with a couple and worked hard to really make it all about them. Even the staging was designed to highlight these beautiful people and the love they share for one another. Unfortunately, some financial and family issues arose and they will be getting married in another state. So, I'll keep my eyes and heart open to other opportunities to serve in a way that other 'traditional' ministers fail.

God's blessings!

Rev. J

• 1 month later...

Hello from Southern Maine!

I was ordained in 2001. I practice Reiki and often go into hospitals and it was suggested to me that I become ordained.

I also am part of a prayer group at my church and that sometimes takes me into hospitals to pray.

I started a Reiki ministry in 2002 with three friends.

Is there anyone else from Maine out there? :quest:

Ordination for me was a culmination of a heart's desire. I have always been a religious seeker trying to get closer to the Divine. I had wanted to be a nun when I was little and then I found Wicca and it was like everything clicked in place. I teach and counsel my students and I am planning to start a church if the Divine decides it is time for me to.

• 2 weeks later...

G_d called me back to the fold in order to help all of the people around me who are disillusioned

I want to be able to counsel them and help them grow closer to spiritual living

As yet I am not really consciously doing anything with my ordination

I am enrolled in a study program and serve where i am needed to the best of my ability

Ever since I was called I have felt a spiritual awakening such as I have rarely felt before

• 1 month later...

I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

Why doesn't my profile list the ordination date?

I have not been active as I had envisioned-I 1st got my ordination while locked up-didn't realize the scope of ULC. But it is a great forum and site to build a ministry upon because of the diversity and recognition of all Spiritual quests. Whether one's ministry is about a physical church, online ministry, or philosophical debate, the tools are here to carry forth: What a great idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

If they would just add a script font or two!!!---

Like you, in many ways I joined ULC on a lark-I had been previously licensed and ordained however (UMC). I was in prison and several of the people I associated with got their ordination through ULC, and I joined the bandwagon. This was the 1st forum I posted in, and was active here for a while...I don't even know why I left really, except for some bickering that I grew tired of. I joined other social internet groups, but here at least people will tell you what they really think and I respect that.

As for my ordination, I was hamstrung for a while because people in my situation were forbidden to be actively working in a church. Now the rules have changed, and I would like to establish an internet spiritual group-or become more active here. I think there is a place where you can do your own congregational forum here. Anyway, all that is in the works now. I until recently was blogging frequently on classmates.com spirtuality- pagans, non christians...thread, but it got pretty much the same old same old. There are some very dear people there though, and I will remain in touch with them and the thread to some extent anyway.

lightfoot

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm probably one of the newest Ordained, But my intention for being Ordained is to work with the Chaplains office in Hospitals. My life has been leading me to helping others mostly people who are struggeling with health issue's. I'will also be taking other courses to help accomplish what I need.

After a career in healthcare, I too would love to work in a hospital, but as a wiccan that is not only not possible, it is ill advised. This is the reason for being ordained.Nope,I am the newest ordained-as of today.

Rev Colleen Mills

Mulvane, Kansas

After a career in healthcare, I too would love to work in a hospital, but as a wiccan that is not only not possible, it is ill advised. This is the reason for being ordained.Nope,I am the newest ordained-as of today.

Rev Colleen Mills

Mulvane, Kansas

I was ordained on 3-12-10. Why would you say it is ill advised as a wiccan to work in hospitals?

"God", creator of all of everything, is very real. I've known this since before I spoke my first words. A strange disillusionment happened the older became. Men, here on this planet, seem to be very far from that which I knew as a child. I have always been a "minister".

I've only been "Ordained" for a week or two depending upon how you count it. I'm trying to project the meaning of being papered upon my lifestyle. I'm using the officiallity of the ordination to try to find more patients when dealing with others.

Also I guess I'm at a phase where I'm trying to learn the legalities of the thing.

I became ordained with one objective in mind. My nephew and future niece-in-law requested that I perform their marriage ceremony. Besides being touched by this honor, I decided it was time to take wedding participation one step farther... I have played many roles, but never that of a minister.

As to the future, I cannot say. At present, I am a staunch agnostic, although underneath I admit there is a strong tendency toward universalism. There could be a ministry of some sort eventually, or, perhaps, I could simply offer services as wedding officiate to those who desire someone without affiliation to established faiths.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic