What Are You Doing With Your Ordination?

If you are like most retired military, you have enough paper and SPOW to cover a sizable wall to medium size room.

Exactamundo. My entire office is a shrine! :59:

Thankfully, Aaron Brother's has something like a "buy one, get the next for two cents" deals on frames every January and August.

Basically, I became ordained by ULC to perform wedding ceremonies for my grandchildren. (one in Hawaii, one in Henderson, NV, one in Victorville, CA, and one in Long Beach, CA) same semi-religious ceremony for all. I also conducted funeral services for a son-in-law in Las Vegas and a mother-in-law in Long Beach. I used the ordination (though not required) to perform a 25th anniversary renewal of vows for two couples here in LA. I do not believe in the standard, cliched, time-worn, over religious., drawn out, ceremonies usually performed by ministers of various churches. My ceremony has been highly accepted by the bride and groom and those who attended the ceremonies. I will also use the ordination to marry same sex couples, if the laws will allow it.

• Like 1
I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

Well I'm probably one of the newest Ordained, But my intention for being Ordained is to work with the Chaplains office in Hospitals. My life has been leading me to helping others mostly people who are struggeling with health issue's. I'will also be taking other courses to help accomplish what I need. I would also like to do weddings,funerals, baptismals whatever is asked. Life is crazy, but know one should ever be alone...

I became ordained during the course of an American Atheist's Convention, mostly because I also liked the idea of being an atheist minister. "To be an atheist, and not agnostic, requires faith." Neitszche and all that. Several years later I was baptized and I'm a very mellow born-again Christian (lead by example, not proselytizing). I've since performed a few weddings for close friends, dedicated several children, a few other things.

I figure Christ taught us how to pray and didn't require that we go through anybody to speak to God, so any of us can help anyone else articulate their thoughts to God better if so desired. This is what I love about ULC--how all of us can unite in one idea, even if we have disparate faiths. Mostly I consider anything that I wouldn't do selfishly ministry--consoling someone at school, pushing a car broken down in an intersection, watching the neighbor's kids when an emergency arises, etc. This is how I spread faith.

God bless!

I have been ordained since 1998 and moved to Maine three years ago. Too many people here in Maine have fallen through the cracks. I have an outreach for food, clothing and provide a referral system for the needy. I am proud of what has been done over the last three years but more needs to be accomplished. My email address is : revja1-at-aol.com

I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

My partner originally became ordained and then after some talking, I joined in his mission. I am a psychologist and loved the idea of being able to use my faith and knowledge in working with people. My partner and I currently have started a church in our home, we visit inmates at a prison in Missouri, we have started a letter writing to these prisoners, we have weekly meetings and sermons as well as a small, but growing youth program.

I have studied quite a bit about Christian Unitarianism and have wanted to be come ordained as such but unfortunately there are no seminaries for it, only for the Unitarian-Universalist which is rather humanistic in its structure. I have the opportunity to attend an interfaith online seminary and am considering it but haven't made up my mind about that yet as (maybe I am just too particular) I really desire more Unitarian focused ordination. For now I have become ordained through the ULC as this does give me a bit more legal recognition which is rather required in the Las Vegas area but I am still looking for more formal training so that I may start a congregation in my area with all of the correct training, but for now intend to simply use this ordination as a stop-gap. I have been trying to find Christian Unitarian congregations in my area but this is apparently a very small subset of christianity and not many exist in the nation as whole.

So, what's your story??

When I took my ordination, back in the 80's, I'd already taken a practitioner certification in NLP, so I went around doing counseling, with my ordination instead of a counseling license. I had some good results from doing that, but it wasn't paying my way, and it wasn't leading to higher consciousness, so I returned to my mystical roots.

Ten years later I became initiated in Santo Daime, an Amazonian mystery religion, and am now acting as the 'priest' for my region, here in St. Louis, using my ULC credential until we get organized enough in the USA to have our own ordinations.

Edited by Rev. Barry
I work as a tattooist in a military town (Camp LeJeune, N.Carolina - U.S.M.C.) and I get to meet a lot of young guys. Most of which are bound for Iraq or Afghanistan. If it comes up, I try to ease their fear as best I can.

Tattooing for a local motorcycle club was where I first adopted my "Preacher" nick name when I was 16. Being raised by a Lutheran Minister Father I always seemed to be able to apply a Bible verse to whatever situation was going on, thus the monicker.

Much later in life and far, far down my path, my wife and I opened a Tattoo Studio on Maui and used our Spiritual Gifts of reading energies, auras and sensing things most others did not. As we had both, long before, realized the difference between "Spiritual and Religious" we gave the public a gift beyond that of merely a tattoo and a fancy tee-shirt to go with it. We helped so many people through difficult times in their lives we honestly couldn't keep track of them all, but we still pull out the "Thank you cards and letters" from time to time to reminice.

Due to an accident and our declined health we had to close our studio and we moved back to California to be around our kids/grandkids and I decided to fulfill the circle an become ordained, officially, to use our energy skills and spread the word of Peace and Healing through Spiritual Works. Currently I reach out to our community by events at the parks across the street from our home, occasional guest speaking at local churches and an outreach program to our senior housing development.

As someone else said above, when the need arises to write letters of an 'official' nature siging them (LEGALLY of course!) with "Rev. Dr." sure makes a difference. So I've expanded this into our outreach as well and the difference we've made in people's lives is astounding. Several neighbor folks have had a terrible time getting results on various situations and then one letter from their "minister" and .... well, Grace be to the Powers of the Multi-verse and Most High. When one truly believes in the remarkable power of the Cosmos and leaves lables out of it...it is truly amazing.

So between community outreach, youth programs, tool workshops to build things, handyman services, letter writing and basically just spreading the Word of Peace and Calm Spirit to our small, central valley community I/we stay busy!

Blessings be, Wassail!

:paladin:

At first my wife and I were watching a movie and one of the characters said that he got ordained online. We were curious and tried it. Well we ended up getting ordained. I have always been a spiritual man. I am a man who believes in a lot. I find many religions and teachings interesting. Teachings from Wiccan to the teachings of the Buddha. I am currently a Christian. I believe in Salvation and redemption through my Lord Jesus Christ the Savior. However I never disregard other teachings. I am a very open minded person and love a good discussion (key word discussion not argument) on theology. I sorta feel that they are all different paths to the same destination. I believe that everyone should live their life for the search of enlightenment through whichever means you may find it. I was ordained 08/31/2008 and have recently felt the calling to take it seriously. I am in the Marine Corps and have already been to Iraq. While there I have met a lot of young Marines who claimed to be lost. As soon as I got back I have noticed the rise in suicides of the young brothers in arms. I wish to help them in any way I can. I hope to learn as much as I can on every practice out there in the world. I am currently studying Wiccan so if anyone can enlighten me then I’m all for it.

God Bless and may peace be with you all

• 1 month later...

I have some friends that wanted a small/discreet/quite/private wedding. I thought about getting ordained a few years ago but decided not too. Then my friends talked about getting married and without saying anything, I went ahead with getting ordained. I felt like it was something I NEEDED to do. It's been nearly 2 1/2 yrs since and I have yet to marry anyone. My friends are still engaged. My husband is an Army Recruiter and some couples want to get married right before the recruit ships out. I had cards made and told my husband that I would officiate anyone who wanted it at no charge. I almost got to marry one couple and her Dad found out and had a fit that I was "just some recruiter's wife that was SUPPOSEDLY a preacher..." and he got his minister to marry them. He was against the marriage (she was 23+) until she told him that she had a minister lined up.

I'm in Tennessee. How do you handle that kind of reaction?? I study my Bible like 5-6 days a week, I spread the "word" daily without forcing it on anyone, BUT I don't have a "regular" church I go to per say. Because of not being a "member" of "so-n-so" church, I get questioned. Then I get questioned because I didn't go to what is now traditional training for a minister (years of school, seminary, etc.). How do I answer to that??? Anyway, I want to officiate marriages for people but it seems alot of ppl look down upon you if you don't say you belong to a church. The way I see it - God is at my home too. :shy:

When I took my ordination, back in the 80's, I'd already taken a practitioner certification in NLP, so I went around doing counseling, with my ordination instead of a counseling license. I had some good results from doing that, but it wasn't paying my way, and it wasn't leading to higher consciousness, so I returned to my mystical roots.

Ten years later I became initiated in Santo Daime, an Amazonian mystery religion, and am now acting as the 'priest' for my region, here in St. Louis, using my ULC credential until we get organized enough in the USA to have our own ordinations.

Out of curiosity, I went to your website then I looked up information about the drink that is used ritually in your rituals. I am glad that I did. As a healthcare professional, I need to know that the drink is mixed with an MAOI. If any of your members are admitted to a healthcare facility, I will know to be aware of special medicinal needs they may have since many foods and medications interact severely with MAOIs. I would be interested in working with you on formulating a an educational article for healthcare personnel about your beliefs. Would you be willing to help me?

At first my wife and I were watching a movie and one of the characters said that he got ordained online. We were curious and tried it. Well we ended up getting ordained. I have always been a spiritual man. I am a man who believes in a lot. I find many religions and teachings interesting. Teachings from Wiccan to the teachings of the Buddha. I am currently a Christian. I believe in Salvation and redemption through my Lord Jesus Christ the Savior. However I never disregard other teachings. I am a very open minded person and love a good discussion (key word discussion not argument) on theology. I sorta feel that they are all different paths to the same destination. I believe that everyone should live their life for the search of enlightenment through whichever means you may find it. I was ordained 08/31/2008 and have recently felt the calling to take it seriously. I am in the Marine Corps and have already been to Iraq. While there I have met a lot of young Marines who claimed to be lost. As soon as I got back I have noticed the rise in suicides of the young brothers in arms. I wish to help them in any way I can. I hope to learn as much as I can on every practice out there in the world. I am currently studying Wiccan so if anyone can enlighten me then I’m all for it.

God Bless and may peace be with you all

Take it seriously they need you Both my sons are Marines and I was a Marine Navy Corpsman - Semper Fi

I became ordained to answer what I percieved as a need for a person who could stand with people in their spiritual search without being part of an organized religion. Organized rligion preaches being non-judgmentalism and love for the sinner but then proceeds to punishing the "sinner". e.g. Roman Catholics are to love homosexuals and yet, if homosexuality is admitted and that person is in seminary, he cannot be ordained.

In my years as a Nurse I was able to help people and their families as they neared death. My Ministry is an added credential. I hope to be able to officiate at Funerals as well as Weddings and Baptisms. Thanks,

Rev. Ursula

Greetings, Ursula! I am a Professional Registered Nurse as well. Like you, I have often been in the position where the spiritual needs of the patient or their family far outwwighed the physical. Year ago I was ordained by an eclectic Ministerial Alliance in the Texas Bible Belt. The purpose was so that I could mee the needs of patients in my role as Parish/Congregational Nurse. I have since converted to Judaism but find my patients still have spiritual needs. Ordination through a nondenominational organization such as the ULC and UM only made sense. I have found my interaction with others through the ULC/UM has only opened my eyes and broadened my understanding. There are plenty of people out there who want someone to understand their personal religious beliefs without judgment...only compassion when they are at their greatest time of need. Through the ULC/UM, if I do not fit the bill for what they need, I am sure that I can find someone who is. Not everyone who comes to the hospital fall under the typical Texas/Bible Belt belief systems. Through the ULC/UM, I am truly able to "treat" the whole patient as a Registered Nurse. I hope to broaden the thinking of others as I continue my work.

I work as a tattooist in a military town (Camp LeJeune, N.Carolina - U.S.M.C.) and I get to meet a lot of young guys. Most of which are bound for Iraq or Afghanistan. If it comes up, I try to ease their fear as best I can.

You were in the Navy as a Corpsman? Just noted the Doc at the end of your profile name. I was a Marine Navy Corpsman...was at Camp Johnson there on Camp LeJeune for Field Medical Service School. You have a great opportunity to touch lives in a very unusual setting. What those young people need is our nonjudgmental support and a listening ear. I know that you are doing a great work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Usurper

For myself, I mainly do letters. Wisconsin requires a letter of sponsorship from an in state minister for an out of state minister when an out of state minister wants to do a wedding in state. We are just moving into the busy season. I have done about 15 letters so far this summer, and expect to do over 100 by fall. As of now, this is all out of my pocket, but I am considering getting set up to take some donations to off set the cost of stamps, envelopes, etc.

I am an out of state recently ordained minister. I'm in need of a sponsor letter for a wedding in WI. Can you help me with this?

Thank you,

Tony

It was a calling is all I can say, for me that is. I've been to a "church" or two in my day and found that the ones I did go to were nothing more than a club...In other words, if you was not dressed right or put money in the collection plate, you really could not be "in the club" without members talking down about you you behind your back. As a child I was basically bribed to go to Sunday school each week with photos taken of me and my dog, at the time, and told "If you come back next week we'll have a picture for you". I won't mention the candy given on the bus. Some people won't attend a church for the same reasons basically, so I am using my ordination to spread the word of God for the regular people, the average folks. I have no dress code other than wear what makes you feel good and as far as a donation plate...There is none...I work for a living and pay my bills, including the bills of the church I have. I find that the average person would like to donate but not in front of, or beside, someone. So my hat's off to the ULC for doing what they do in allowing us to persue our dreams of the perfect "church".

I am blessed in life these days and I hope those who read this are blessed as well.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic