What Are You Doing With Your Ordination?

• Administrator

I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

I've seen so many stories about how people are using their ordination. Some people have actual brick and mortar churches, some people have se tup web ministries, some people did it just to perform a wedding for a friend, and some people did it just because they like the idea of being a minister!

So, what's your story??

As for me, I freely admit that I did it, initially, as a joke. I had NO idea what the ULC was all about. I was ordained before I made my first post on the old Snitz forum.

There, I found a community of people that interested me, so I jumped in with the odd news story (funny stuff that I'd found on the internet.) Kevin noticed, and gave me my very own little section. "News flashes from Murph."

And from there, I took on a few more areas, and eventually, took over the whole thing!

Usurper

For myself, I mainly do letters. Wisconsin requires a letter of sponsorship from an in state minister for an out of state minister when an out of state minister wants to do a wedding in state. We are just moving into the busy season. I have done about 15 letters so far this summer, and expect to do over 100 by fall. As of now, this is all out of my pocket, but I am considering getting set up to take some donations to off set the cost of stamps, envelopes, etc.

I became ordained more as a safety net. Being an energy healer, it was suggested that I become a minister to "minister" healing touch to clients. It also gives them some of peace of mind that I'm ordained. Nobody has really asked me about it though.

I pretty much had the same reasons. Other than I did "minister" online frequently and it calmed some, and gives me a legal backing as well. I've never used it for marriages or other rituals. I had no interest to use it that way and probably never will.

About five or six years ago I bought the whole kit and kaboodle: the ordination, the doctorate (two of them, right?), the books and tapes on how to conduct various ceremonies, blank certificates, the 'clergy parking pass,' the business cards, etc... With the exception of a single copy of the business card, the whole lot remains in a box in my garage.

Since the purchase, I have mentioned to maybe a dozen people that I am legally ordained in all 50 states, etc.. I've never had an occasion to exercise the ordination, but I suppose if someone wanted me to marry or baptize them, I would. :inno:

I've been asked why I don't frame the 'degrees' and place them in a position of honor on one of my I Love Me Walls. Truth is, there isn't any room.

:mike:

Hmm, well after being ordained I went to the Comptroll's office and received a business tax permit. (Business name obtained, woot woot!)

I am wating for my spouse to receive her BA in Microbiology next year and we plan to move to the country. There I plan to sale caskets, preform weddings and if can open a country Inn for newlyweds. :blink:

About five or six years ago I bought the whole kit and kaboodle: the ordination, the doctorate (two of them, right?), the books and tapes on how to conduct various ceremonies, blank certificates, the 'clergy parking pass,' the business cards, etc... With the exception of a single copy of the business card, the whole lot remains in a box in my garage.

Since the purchase, I have mentioned to maybe a dozen people that I am legally ordained in all 50 states, etc.. I've never had an occasion to exercise the ordination, but I suppose if someone wanted me to marry or baptize them, I would. :inno:

I've been asked why I don't frame the 'degrees' and place them in a position of honor on one of my I Love Me Walls. Truth is, there isn't any room.

:mike:

Gee, it sounds as if you are not trying to make your place in those feilds.

It sounds as if your depressed and your expectations have run dry.

If you seek to promote your abilities, you must research the where abouts of the demand.

As far as all those degrees, business cards, etc.. If this makes you happy displaying it on your walls, you will find the room, but I am guessing you understand that those things are just materialistic and the paper it is written on is just basically a tree product.

I became ordained to answer what I percieved as a need for a person who could stand with people in their spiritual search without being part of an organized religion. Organized rligion preaches being non-judgmentalism and love for the sinner but then proceeds to punishing the "sinner". e.g. Roman Catholics are to love homosexuals and yet, if homosexuality is admitted and that person is in seminary, he cannot be ordained.

In my years as a Nurse I was able to help people and their families as they neared death. My Ministry is an added credential. I hope to be able to officiate at Funerals as well as Weddings and Baptisms. Thanks,

Rev. Ursula

I was ordained in 2007, and thought it was joke. As I looked into it more and more, I found out it was legal. I started a wedding ministry, which grew into an Interfaith church for the churchless (we will do any rite for anyone, bringing comfort is more important than doctrine) and now into a full fledged ministry with meetings and all. It has been quite a trip.

Usurper

For myself, I mainly do letters. Wisconsin requires a letter of sponsorship from an in state minister for an out of state minister when an out of state minister wants to do a wedding in state. We are just moving into the busy season. I have done about 15 letters so far this summer, and expect to do over 100 by fall. As of now, this is all out of my pocket, but I am considering getting set up to take some donations to off set the cost of stamps, envelopes, etc.

well I did mine because God' Told me i was to fallow my father into the ministery

I was 18 and went to work in a nurseing home for 26 years then became a minister

wish i could have an online ministery, if anyone can tell me how they did it?

i have done weddings , furnarels , chrisnegings, and would love to have a church

well I did mine because God' Told me i was to fallow my father into the ministery

I was 18 and went to work in a nurseing home for 26 years then became a minister

wish i could have an online ministery, if anyone can tell me how they did it?

i have done weddings , furnarels , chrisnegings, and would love to have a church

what kind of letters do you do ? sorry don't understand

At first it was for a joke - a friend of mine told me about the ULC and I did a search. I was ordained in October 2002 (about the same time I looked up the ULC through this site I believe - or the HQ site as I know I am on the ULC's official "roll call".) After a short time I came back to this site (June 2003) and joined the forum. I have since received the basic ministry package (before the CD-ROM was included). Last year I received a few books and the D.D. This year was more books.

I really like calling myself "Reverend" and have made up some business cards that have may "Reve." and "D.D." included - mainly to show off to people. I really don't use my Reverend too much though as the Government here is not really that big on the ULC or other "fringe" churches. However, if I am complaining about something, or do a "Letter to the Editor", I use my "Reverend" and "D.D."

At first, I never really thought of my credential as more than fun, but I am taking it more seriously now. I really enjoy being a Reverend.

I got ordained because I've been pursuing spiritual studies--completely indepedently of any school other than books and life--lol--and because I've been wishing for a while to start my own church. I didn't have much of a concept for what it would be like until about a little over a year ago...have started my own yahoo group for the eventual offline church I wish to start.

Love,

Brigit

I have been doing Spiritual studies since the 80s and felt that becoming ordained was something I should do. I lead a group of about 15-20 with a wide variety of beliefs. The group is very accepting of each others beliefs and is focused on developing their spirituality. For me its all about being of service for others. Blessings to all.

I had a friend who had done a bunch of weddings and thought that was a fine idea since it's a contract more than anything in our state and why should judges and clergy get all the fun of performing weddings.

He got me ordained and I casually mentioned to friends I was ordained and within a year or so some close friends asked if I'd be interested in doing a small ceremony. It turned out to be a lot of fun, they were more nervous than me, and will be celebrating their 10th anniversary this year.

Once I popped my minister cherry....it seems like word has gotten around and I've done seven....including a beautiful Wiccan ceremony in Oklahoma (I learned you have to be pre-approved there).

And coming from a childhood full of annoying bible thumpers and dogmatic where I was really turned off by organized religion. With the ULC I was able to shuck off some of that crap and actually pursue my own spiritual journey.

• Amulet locked, featured and unpinned this topic