South Carolina Marriage Laws

RevShaun

I find this a bit confusing "Ministers of the gospel who are authorized to administer oaths in this state may perform marriages", Technically I fall under minister of the gospel, so am I good to go as far as performing marriages, or would I need to register with the state?

at the top of this subject is a pinned section which lists the basics of the marrige laws in all 50 states.the only thing i found states that the minister must return the 2 copies of the marrige license(i guess the couple gets the original)to the issuing probate judge.i would suggest that you contact the specific county you will be preforming the ceremony in and see what is requried.

at the top of this subject is a pinned section which lists the basics of the marrige laws in all 50 states.the only thing i found states that the minister must return the 2 copies of the marrige license(i guess the couple gets the original)to the issuing probate judge.i would suggest that you contact the specific county you will be preforming the ceremony in and see what is requried.

My concern is more on the wording related to the minister of the gospel, that could very well limit ministers of certain religions, I was hoping I could find someone who has performed a ceremony in SC and has experience with this.

while not from south carolina,michigan has the same wording in it's laws.do they ever check what you preach(teach)?no.

some states are very specific about being registered or saying you must have a church or congregation in that state.some citys(new york,las vegas)have the same requirements.

don't get so hung up on words that you cause more problems for yourself.remember"gospel"just means"good news".it doesn't say which one.

while not from south carolina,michigan has the same wording in it's laws.do they ever check what you preach(teach)?no.

some states are very specific about being registered or saying you must have a church or congregation in that state.some citys(new york,las vegas)have the same requirements.

don't get so hung up on words that you cause more problems for yourself.remember"gospel"just means"good news".it doesn't say which one.

Thanks, I'm always extra cautious when it comes to legal wording.