Lifting You Higher

VonNoble

What music is sacred to you?

When has music caused you to feel reverence?

Is here a specific hymn or type of music that speaks to your soul?

How important is music to your spiritual practice?

And how does the use of music contrast with the need for silence in your spiritual routine?

Thanks,

Von

I actually have a lot of Christian Pop on my Zune. I listen to it first thing each morning at work to help make me feel directly connected to source each day. I try to avoid all the songs which are saturated with the sin, death guilt theme and try to listen to the ones that are praising the glory and compassion of God.

By far my favorite album is 'Unashamed" by Broken Vessels. I then listen to "Stronger" by Tammy Trent and then a song or two from the BOW Best of Worship album beofre I switch over to my favorite New Age album of Jamste: Love and Compassion and then I'm ready to face anything the world has ready for me to experience that day.

I've been looking for the old Hossanah Praise and Worship albums I enjoyed back in my Pentecostal days that I was signing when I had my epiphany.

Anything that causes me to reflect on my relationship with the Father.

Spirituals - "Old Time gospel.

"I like that old time rock and roll, that kinda music just soothes my soul..."

I don't listen to it (records, tapes, radio) much anymore but songs pop into my head at the right time.

And how does the use of music contrast with the need for silence in your spiritual routine?

Sometimes listening to the silence is more reflective and enlightening.

Thanks,

Von

Edited by RevRainbow

Music plays an important part in my life. I enjoy every kind of music: popular, classical, western, and eastern music.

In my religious tradition -- the Sanatana Veda Dharma -- the Vedas are chanted. The Bhagavad Gita means the "Song of God." Music is at the heart of the Vedic religions. Singing the Names of the Divine is a very common spiritual practice.

Nevertheless, I do not limit myself to just Indian religious music. I have always enjoyed the Christina Gregorian chants and Western choral music. "Amazing Grace" is my favorite Christian hymn.

My religious services are always combined with music. There are hymns to Divine Mother which have great meaning and beauty. When I am in a retreat, periods of silence are combined with chanting of hymns or the Names of the Beloved One. But when inner silence is reached, music is put aside. There is great spiritual joy in music, but in inner silence we find Ever-New-Joy.

Hermano Luis

Moriviví Hermitage

Thanks,

Von

I'm not religious in any way, but I always feel a heavy reverence when I hear Amazing Grace on bagpipes. Also, whenever I hear a traditional rendering of our National Anthem I get goose bumps.

Taking the issue a few layers downward, whenever I hear Children of the Sea I get a certain tingling of amazement, but for entirely different reasons.

Many different genres are "sacred" but mostly the softer more soul felt tunes. I had the pleasure of joining in a sacred ritual while I lived near Hoopa Indian Reservation and the twenty plus flutes and drums created an image of sacred gradeur I will never forget.

I have to agree with some of the others "Amazing Grace"...especially on bagpipes like the Chieftains, is well...WOW..what a tack to the heart! But also the Taps never ceases to calm my spirit, I felt strength at my father's funeral in January and I knew it came from him through the Taps.

Is (t)here a specific hymn or type of music that speaks to your soul?

Bluegrass believe it or not has many things in common with gospel music, but soul, R&B, even some rock like Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn and her majesty Stevie Nix all talk to my soul in many ways.

Again, I have to agree with other's, Gregorian chants and certain Irish flute tunes but I use Tibetian singing bowls during meditation. The vibration of these bowls against one's stomach, chest or back during meditation brings a whole new level to it.

My wife and I have experienced the unbelievable silence of the bamboo forest on Maui and at another time the awesome stillness, but nature's song of birds, wind and water near the same place. Two different experiences completely from the same place. But silence, after tuning OUT the world with the bowls "becomes" the silence of meditation afterawhile...awesome, the loudness of silence can blow you away sometimes!

Thanks,

Von

:paladin:

and by the way EXCELLENT topic my friend, awesome to have someone bring this up!

Edited by RevAl

Anything that strikes the right mood for a particular spiritual working. If meditating, I like slow drumbeats or light music. I also have Divine experiences through dance, and trance music and electronica seem to put me in the right minsdet for that, with the bass echoing my own heartbeat. I also practice hula, and get wonderful experiences with Hawaiian chanting.

I feel reverence from music whenever I use it as an aide to my spiritual working. There are a few Christian hymns that can nearly move me to tears though. "Amazing Grace" is one of them. There was another I heard in Catholic school about adoration of the cross that just gave me goosebumps with its imagery.

Hawaiian chanting moves me deeply. Mozart also speaks to me, specifically music from his operas.

Music is a very useful tool in putting me into a meditative mindset. I use the heavy bass of dance music to excite myself into a spiritual level through dancing.

I personally think that silence is an illusion. Our own bodies provide sound through the beating of our hearts. Nature also contains sound, both beautiful and frightening. I harness music because it works with my spiritual routine.

Hmmmm.....what about church organ music...like a pipe organ?

No one listed guitars, rap or rock music.....curious....might be early though - perhaps someone will.

A side question....is music really there to help one focus ....provide a break from the sermon-type moments...or is it really a vehicle in and of itself to "commune" with God? Or connect to inner peace more easily?

Just still thinkin' on this one.

Von

No one listed guitars, rap or rock music.....curious....might be early though - perhaps someone will.

A side question....is music really there to help one focus ....provide a break from the sermon-type moments...or is it really a vehicle in and of itself to "commune" with God? Or connect to inner peace more easily?

Von

Some folks believe that music is a dimension all to itself, so is an integral part of life. In string theory are the various strings vibrating to music?

Have you ever wondered where a note goes after it leaves the end of an instrument. Trying to follow the fading last audible note of my gong has always brought me great peace and joy.

Von, you struck a chord (pun intended). I have several albums of E. Power Biggs playing the grand organ. Bach really rocks, spiritually on those pipes. The grandeur of it all can sometimes stir deeply in the soul, but you need a good sound system!

Anything that reminds me of spiritual stuff. Also anything I put into use for ceremony. Lately I've been listening to "native" flute music after morning prayers. During shamanic ceremonies there's a lot of drumming and rattling going on.

Some examples that come to mind...

When I was a child, I remember really feeling the instrumental music often played after communion.

Once we are sightseeing at Santa Fe NM and there was this miraculous staircase exhibit in a chapel that had some angelic choral music playing. I considered it hokey at first. Nevertheless, it added to the reverent mood which was also helped by the chapel setting.

Wind chimes puts me in a reverent mood. Not the string of chimes the drummer plays, but the ones that hang in the wind.

Yesterday morning I was sitting on the back porch and a mockingbird was singing. It got to me in a prayerful/reverent mood, even coloring the mexican neighbor's happy oompah music in a sacred light.

"Now Thank We All Our God" is a personal favorite church hymn. Around Christmas, I love the feeling that comes from singing "Adeste Fideles". I also get shivers when I hear a fine voice singing "Ave Maria". I like some contemporary music, like anything by Nicole Nordeman (especially "Rolling River God"). Shpongle's music wakes up a more primal spirit in me. Powwow music is great at night when sitting at the fire pit.

For calling the spirits and drum-induced journey, it is very helpful. And meditative ambient music can change "doing my chores" into something more like a ritual. Is music essential? No. I see music to spirituality like a car to travel. You can get by without it.

I make room for both, and they enhance each other. I tend to be aware of changes more than continuums. The same goes with speaking. It is good to pause once in a while during a reading or sermon. If the people are nodding off, one thing to ask ourselves as ministers is "am I talking too continuously?"

I have often wondered why music can have such a profound affect on our emotions.

The music from The Ten Commandments when Moses (Charleton Heston) parts the Red Sea... electrifies my senses and inspires in me visions of glorious divinity.

The theme from "Somewhere in Time," the movie starring Chris Reeves and Jane Seymore. It fills me with a sense of dignity and grandure.

The theme from "Titanic"... and who can forget the theme from Romeo and Juliet?

• 2 weeks later...

As my ministry is more of a "one to one" stewardship, music doesn't really play into it in a congregational sense. However, I'll play gospel hymns from my mp3 player to the one I'm ministering too if I'm prompted by the Spirit to do so and it conveys the message that I'm trying to put across.

Various hymns do pop into my head while I'm working or reading the Bible. When I'm getting ready to meet someone in my capacity as an Ordained Minister I'll often play "Brightly Beams our Fathers Mercy). It helps me to focus on doing His work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dF06Irdps

while i don't consider my practice "spiritual",during meditation,i find it a drastication.but i also find waves coming off the ocean,or a running stream or river(which i'm closer to than the ocean)to be quite calming.

as far as music,i have a couple of cds that are all musical.one is called "zen meditations"by timothy franztich.it features chinese flutes,percussion,and"strings".the other one is called"inner peace,music for healing"by the 5th element.it is fantastic to listen to while working on the computer,but it didn't do much for me or my choice of words while doing my taxes recently.i found them both at target for $10.there are a few more i want to get,but have to wait.

when just relaxing i like everything from her highness stevie nicks,to italian love songs.i don't speak any latin,let alone understand it,but gregorian chants are great.

as far as songs that strike a chord with me,amazing grace as done by the bagpipe and drum corp makes me feel good.ave maria whether sung by a women,or a male tenor is very beautiful(and yes,i have heard it in english,but it loses in the translation).then there's axel rose,and the song he sang(something about paitence)and i can't remember who sings it,but there is a song about nothing lasts forever(including the november rain).rhapsedy in blue is something i used to play while warming up when i studied martial arts.(i got caught"dancing" around one time,didn't get caught again).

on my back porch there are 3 sets of wind chimes.during the summer i like sitting out there and just hearing them.if it wasn't for all the traffic,it would be fantastic.

Edited by mark 45

Von

In Awo, drums are used to heal, communicate, honor the orishas, meditate, dance (it's own form of healing/spirituality/meditation), trance. The body of the drum, made from the tree connects the earth/material to the sky/spiritual & the skin (head of drum) represents all beings.

In drum circles, some experience entrainment, getting lost in the rhythm to the point that we loose sense of time, space & are completely lost in the present moment, the experience of union.

I have a wide range of musical interests, everything from classical, Celtic and British Folk Music, Sea Shantys, rock n roll, heavy metal, pop, american folk, Renaissance music, and more that I probably have forgotten to include.

Some of the most spiritual music for me has been from a rock band called "Live" that blends spiritual messages with heavy Zen influences with thier music. They have a song called "Lakini's Juice" that has a line in it that goes:

"It was an evening I shared with the sun, To find out where we belong, In the earliest days, We were dancing in the shadows... "

It is one of my favorite lines in music. another song called "Dance With You" has these lines:

"Deep in some blissful dream, where the goddess finally sleeps, in the lap of her lover, subdued in all her rage, and I am aglow with the taste of the demons driven out, and happily replaced with the presence of real love, the only one who saves"

Another song, called "The Distance" :

"I've been to pretty buildings, all in search of you. I have lit all the candles, sat in all the pews. The desert had been done before, but I didn't even care. I got sand in both my shoes and scorpions in my hair. I saw that... Oh the Distance is not do-able. In these bodies of clay my brother. oh the distance it makes me uncomfortable. Guess it's natural to feel this way. Oh are we locked into these bodies? Oh lets hold out for something sweeter. Spread your wings and fly..."

Another artist I really take inspiration from is a Renassance Faire performer and folk singer named Garold Amadon aka Gibbon the Troubadour who performs a song called "Trial of the Flame (A warriors lament)" that goes like this:

"Take my hand, and follow me. Through the trial of the flame. Take my hand, and follow me. Through the trial of the flame. There well within the cold and dark embattlement. Black Raven calls my name. Ne're before have I explored this dark side of my mind. There amongst those misty ruins, lies this port of death and flame. So come take my hand we'll make a stand. Through this trial of the flame. Take my hand, and follow me. Through the trial of the flame. Thought I'd take this lone trek down the shoreline. What I seek awaits me there 'tis said. If you do not fear it friend you're 'bout as mad as can compare. Lost souls thier ghost and phantoms, they're awaitin' in the rain.

So take my hand, and walk with me. Through the trial of the flame. How does it happen now good lad Black Raven calls your name? On this dismal voyage through a world that reeks of death and pain. So clear the smoke and dust that so infests your mortal brain. Then take my hand, I'll lead you through the trial of the flame."

Of course there is always Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, and George Orff's Carmina Burana for dynamic inspiration.

There are many many other examples I could list, but these stand out in my mind just now.

In Frith,

Lars

Good questions!

I do consider music to be a part of my spirituality. Music can make me feel closer to my higher power, and in a group setting, music can enable sense memories. I actually like most music, but for feeling closer to the higher plane, I have a soft spot for the gospel music I grew up with. It will always bring back that sense of childlike wonder I felt sitting in church and the feeling of togetherness that singing hymns brought. I do think there is also a place for silence, and it can be as profound as music. I go where the spirit leads me on this one. Thanks for a thought provoking question. :thumbu:

• Amulet locked this topic