Religion Versus Science

Rev. Dr. Dean Ray

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even things that can't be defined have characteristics that can be defined. Life, for instance, can't be defined but has characteristics. Living things have digestion, elimination, growth, movement, etc.

Does God have characteristics? In classic Monotheism, God is All Knowing, All powerful and All God. Pantheism goes into a different direction with different characteristics. The purely philosophic God -- First Cause, etc. -- has different characteristics.

In the end, I doubt if any of it really matters at the end of the day.

• 1 year later...

Looks flat from what I can see with my eyes. Pictures don't count, they can be doctored.

Really? It looks pretty lumpy to me. Even the flattest places I've lived had some rolling hills. Also, there is a clear curvature visible when I look out from the beach....

Get close to the edge of the disc

When you approach a cliff, you can't see the shape of the drop-off until you're looking down at it. And the beach is not close to what I can see from it. I've been out there in boats. It's BIG. Like Yo Momma Joke big...

• 1 month later...

Now that we have had our giggles -- does anybody still think that science and religion are compatible?

There is nothing about the two that makes them fundamentally incompatible. But specific religions are incompatible with science and science is incompatible with specific types of religiosity.

There is nothing about the two that makes them fundamentally incompatible. But specific religions are incompatible with science and science is incompatible with specific types of religiosity.

Religions are often in dispute with science except where science proves religion is accurate. Anything that doesn't jibe, religion rejects. Science is all about factual findings or probable theory, and really couldn't care less about religion. IMHO.

Science as an idea doesn't care one way or the other, true. My religion doesn't reject science. I am sure there are others who don't as well. If science disproves something I believe, then I reevaluate my beliefs, and determine where the error occurred, and redesign accordingly. Admittedly, I haven't heard of many religions willing to do that.

Admittedly, I haven't heard of many religions willing to do that.

Religious beauracracies, like any bureaucracy, move slowly. http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/31/world/after-350-years-vatican-says-galileo-was-right-it-moves.html

The laity, who make up the bulk of any religion, are usually more pragmatic, less dogmatic, and therefore more open to change.

Edited by mererdog

• Amulet locked this topic