Employer Discrimination Wi

Curben

I have only been ordained this past year, and while I conduct some business it is not currently providing a income. I hold a job as a supervisor for a logistics company that works with a Global company and shares some space.

On two occasions I conducted Business as clergy before a shift and then went in to my shift still wearing my Collar (Friar Tuck Shirt from the ULC Store), I also continued well after work wearing the collar while conducting other non-clergy business and I enjoy the opportunities it affords (On the second occasions I had been stopped by a Man in a public restroom who asked me to pray with him).

The first occurrence aligned with a Christmas party and Supposedly, A representative(s) from the Global company had issues the second time. One of my managers had asked me to not wear the collar to functions again after the first occurrence, but had only stated to use better judgment in the future at no time was I told blankly it was not allowed and Dress Code for the Company lists several exclusions but none apply.

After the second occurrence I had received a "Written Disciplinary Warning" Stating it was inappropriate attire and further instances could result in termination. It should be noted that the local Dress code allows for T-shirts and Jeans for the shop floor and up to Dress Shirt/Slacks/Tie for the office personnel. Also while conducting the business of my employ was not preaching/counseling or any other duties beyond answer questions and referring anyone to consult me at the end of the day.

I am looking for any advice or suggestions and apologize if it got a bit long.

Firstly, welcome to the forum and the ULC!!!! :clap: :clap:

Your employer has every right to demand a certain "image" for its employees, within reason. This means business attire for office employees, and more casual attire for the shop floor. However, I think you are pushing it by wearing clergy attire at work, when your position there has nothing to do with being a member of the clergy.

I agree they overreacted, I quiet word should have been sufficient. I would strongly suggest bringing a change of shirt (at least) if you plan to wear a "dog collar" immediately before or after work.

• Administrator
I am looking for any advice or suggestions and apologize if it got a bit long.

I agree. You should apologize (to your employer, that is.) You should only conduct yourself as your employer sees fit when you are on his property, whether you are within your designated work hours or not.

As long as the company restricts ALL other religious symbols and religious attire. They can not restrict your religious collar if they also allow religious clothing from other religions.

But they can have a policy that will not allow religious clothing or embelms.

This is common, I have worked at places where you could not wear crosses or other items

It was poor judgement on your part to wear your collar to your employer. Your wear of it, could land your company in some hot water if someone of faith different then what is assocated with the wear of the collar decided to sue. Frivilous? yes. Is any good company going to take a chance on it? no!

The bottom line is that you are employed as a supervisor not a a member of the clergy. They expect you to dress as a supervisor and not a member of the clergy. More simply put, do not wear the "uniform" of one job to another job as it is disrespectful to both.