Using A Religious Name

Reverend Jesus H Christ

So, about to file my articles of incorporation as a nonprofit with the state of Michigan, with plans to apply for tax-exempt & charitable status.

That's all well and good, god knows there's plenty of help to be had there online...but I have a question that I've been able to find next to nothing on...

I know I can open a bank account, etc, in the name of my newly created church.

Thing is, Discordiansism is one of the many religions big on religious names (what, you thought John Paul was the son of Mr & Mrs "the Sixth?).

Is there any way to register my holy name as some sort of legal alias?

Or is there some solution to this dilemma that I'm overlooking?

- Reverend Smeg the Kilted

Episkopos, Flying Squirrels on Fire Cabal

Hail Eris!

So, about to file my articles of incorporation as a nonprofit with the state of Michigan, with plans to apply for tax-exempt & charitable status.

That's all well and good, god knows there's plenty of help to be had there online...but I have a question that I've been able to find next to nothing on...

I know I can open a bank account, etc, in the name of my newly created church.

Thing is, Discordiansism is one of the many religions big on religious names (what, you thought John Paul was the son of Mr & Mrs "the Sixth?).

Is there any way to register my holy name as some sort of legal alias?

Or is there some solution to this dilemma that I'm overlooking?

Hail Eris!

Can't help, but lovin that avatar..

Can't help, but lovin that avatar..

:thumbu:

Thanks! I'm proud of it.

See that's my main problem...name change info is easy to find, but I don't want to legally change my name, as this ministry will not be anything CLOSE to supporting me full-time, thus the need to continue to use my secular name in daily life.

If there's no solution to this, I mean, I can survive. I just thought that if there was a solution, this would be the ideal place to look for it.

Hail Eris!

----------------

The noise in my head is: Pigface - Bring Unto Me

Have you talked to your friendly local banker?

There is a form available in some states where it is a simple registration with the state (Fee $6.50 in OR, $24.50 in WA) and your checks would show "Church Of Discordiansism" on one line with "Reverend Smeg the Kilted" or "<your name here>" under it, address on next line, city, state et al.

If you talk to a KNOWLEDGEABLE bank official i.e. Manager, Business account rep, etc you will find that you are far from the first to have this question and he/she will gladly walk you through the process.

(Been There, Done That... Wanna see my T-shirt?)

If you apply for 501© (3) incorporation (Federal) which is not really necessary if you are just a straight church, do not get enthusiastic about incoming funds as the fees are apparently on some sort of sliding scale. It looks like you are pretty realistic on this, just a reminder.

May your Ministry be blessed.

Have you talked to your friendly local banker?

There is a form available in some states where it is a simple registration with the state (Fee $6.50 in OR, $24.50 in WA) and your checks would show "Church Of Discordiansism" on one line with "Reverend Smeg the Kilted" or "<your name here>" under it, address on next line, city, state et al.

Oh, good stuff. Next time I am home in the US I shall have to try that.

If you talk to a KNOWLEDGEABLE bank official i.e. Manager, Business account rep, etc you will find that you are far from the first to have this question and he/she will gladly walk you through the process.

(Been There, Done That... Wanna see my T-shirt?)

See, that's what I'm talkin, about. An idea and advice on how to go about it. Much appreciated.

If you apply for 501© (3) incorporation (Federal) which is not really necessary if you are just a straight church, do not get enthusiastic about incoming funds as the fees are apparently on some sort of sliding scale. It looks like you are pretty realistic on this, just a reminder.

Oh god no. Donations will be uberminimal. Mostly by me, and three or four other individuals, on a small scale.

Essentially, I want to be able to buy holy books (for dissemination), pamphlets, etc...you know, stuff like that, and be able to write these things off on my taxes. Nothing huge, and certainly not paying myself a wage from it (I mean, 90% of any monies will be coming from me, right? Wouldn't do me much good to pay myself a salary from my already-taxed secular wages)

This seems the most feasible way to go about such a thing, especially as the state of Michigan (my legal residence) requires only one incorparator for a NPO.

...incidentally, if there is a better way to do that that I have overlooked, please do share. I'm not trying to scam anything, just to make it more economically feasible to do what I do anyway.

May your Ministry be blessed.

Well thanks.

You can use it, when you call yourself, introduce yourself and for any purpose as long as there is no fraud involved. But a religious name is not and does not take place legally in the US of your real name ( unless you want to go to court and do a legal name change) But you can use it as a business name, ie most movie stars, Little Richie is not a real name

But for the POPE, I am sure he has someone else that signs the checks

not sure what part of michigan your from,but i live in the"deep south part".

rev jerry hit it on the head pretty much.when you inc,you need an employer number for the bank.you just need to have the papers for inc state your real name,your church name, address,yada,yada.on your bank checks,just use dba,and your church name with your real name(and title if you wish).not much to it.

keep very close records of everything,as the state of mich makes the irs look like teddy bears.while these are church records,if there is ever a question about finances,you'll be glad you did.also,if you haven't done so all ready,get thee to a good attorney.that is one investment you'll be glad you made.