Question About Starting A Congregation

LykosTemple

I am interested in providing outreach to adolescents with gender & past life issues, and extending this outreach to the same in prison & shelters in the Hollywood area.

I have no problem with the ministry itself, only the legal parameters from the Federal & State governments. They want to see an official church and/or congregation "letter of good standing."

My problem comes with the fact that two of our group (so far, we're only three) is not an ordained Minister, and doesn't want to be (she's part of our clerical help, and doesn't want to "minister" to these teens, but she supports our desire to do this work.

We have a business checking account (in the DBA's name); we have articles of incorporation, bylaws (as of yet unfiled), and anticipate no other problems. Is it possible to send in the Agreement with 2 Ministers & 1 "civillian" person? Or can 1 Minister hold two positions? Or should we find an otherwise unoccupied Minister from the ULC Directory (who'll have to live in the North Hollywood area)?

The City will not "allow" us to enter "the system" without this "letter of Good Standing," and we're essentially dry-docked until we have it. Can someone here advise us as to what we can and cannot do?

Also: if anyone in the Greater Los Angeles area wants to know what we're up to, don't hesitate to call us.

• Administrator

There is no requirement that ANYONE be a minister. You can form the corporation, congregation, obtain 501c, and everything in the complete absence of a minister. Then, if it suits you, go forth and hire a minister.

Or one or more of you can be a minister. Too many cooks in the kitchen....well, you know the rest.

My problem comes with the fact that two of our group (so far, we're only three) is not an ordained Minister, and doesn't want to be (she's part of our clerical help, and doesn't want to "minister" to these teens, but she supports our desire to do this work.

If you haven't done so already, you can become ordained by the ULC - that would mean that one member of your group is ordained, and thus would allow your group to become an official ULC congregation, which could assist you in your plans.

If you haven't done so already, you can become ordained by the ULC - that would mean that one member of your group is ordained, and thus would allow your group to become an official ULC congregation, which could assist you in your plans.

Actually, the two of us that are Ministers are ordained by the ULC. That wasn't the problem, only that one of us (Secy.) isn't ordained at all (and doesn't want to be).

Howdy Lykos,

According to my ULC Information packet;

To start a congregation, the first thing you must do is become an ordained minister of the Universal life church. After you are ordained, you may start a congregation if you wish. You must have two other people besides yourself as Secretary and Treasurer. They must also be over the age of 18. The three of you along with others if you wish are your Board of Directors.

Send your completed application and a $35.00 donation the the International Headquarters. You must fill it out completely and mail it back the the Headquarters. You will then become a congregation of the Universal life church.

It does not say they have to be ordained only you. You should of course email HQ to verify this. As I am not an official representative.

Http://www.ulchq.com

All the forms you will need are located here.

http://ulchqcom.ipower.com/osCommerce/cata...ex.php?cPath=16

As Dorian said HQ will provide a letter of good standing.

Send them an email with all your questions and they will get back to you.

Edited by Blackthorn

Organizing your congregation with the HQ is not mandatory, but I suggest it as way to officially affiliate your congregation with the ULC.

Thanks for adding that. I forgot that part. I gathered from lykos post that they are in the process of becoming a ulc congregation. This is definitely a good point though.