Degree Required?

Rev. Lacey

Hello, I have recently been asked to counsel a few people and I was wondering if it was ok that I do that. I don't have a degree of any kind. I know its sad but yes I'm 25 and have only dreamed about going to college. One day I will attend, but not any day soon I'm sure. But I was just wondering if I could get into any trouble for it. For offering advice to someone even though I don't have a degree. When I decided to become a Minister I just wanted to perform marriages and one day start a church. However now I am worried about the legal standpoint. I've tried to do research on the subject but I haven't gotten a strait answer.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas. Please Let me know.

Brightest Blessings,

Rev. Lacey

• Administrator

As a minister you can perform spiritual counseling. However, before you try to do "mental" counseling, you may wish to take a look at your local community colleges and see what kind of certificate programs they have available.

States do not regulate the peaceful conduct of ministers. You can officiate marriage, perform funerals, baptisms, preach, teach, counsel and perform all other peaceful rites of the clergy.

As a minister you can perform spiritual counseling. However, before you try to do "mental" counseling, you may wish to take a look at your local community colleges and see what kind of certificate programs they have available.

States do not regulate the peaceful conduct of ministers. You can officiate marriage, perform funerals, baptisms, preach, teach, counsel and perform all other peaceful rites of the clergy.

I thank you for your quick response. By your mind or what you know of anyway, what is the difference between "spiritual" and "mental" counseling? In my searches all I am finding is offers from Counselors. But I will keep up my search. I am surprised at the person asking me to do so, and I really want to help her.

Again I thank you for all you can offer to help me.

• Administrator

I guess the best way you'd look at it is....counsel the person as you would counsel a friend or family member. If you get out of your league, don't hesitate to say so.

I would recommend the S.O.U.L course from the bookstore here.

The Science of Understanding Life, SOUL Clinic course is a course in psychology. This course deals with resources from many fields. This course does not entitle you to be a state certified psychologist. It qualifies you as a ministerial counselor. This course consists of 12 lessons, as well as three textbooks which you obtain locally. They are available in most libraries and bookstores. A SOUL Clinic License is issued upon completion of the course. This interesting course is a must for every active minister.

http://www.ulc.net/index.php?page=shop (and search for S.O.U.L.)

He is the easy way to stay out of trouble. If the counseling is anything but 100% religious based (example: biblical basis of dealing with adultery) your likely not allowed to do it without being licensed by the state (usually requiring atleast a masters degree).

I use this disclaimer:

The counseling services of St Benedict Catholic Mission, are exclusively religious in nature and are not subject to licensure or regulation by the State of Nevada, and St Benedict Catholic Mission offers only non-medical counseling treatment methods, such as prayer, moral guidance, spiritual counseling, and scriptural study.

course I don't charge either but ask for a donation.

He is the easy way to stay out of trouble. If the counseling is anything but 100% religious based (example: biblical basis of dealing with adultery) your likely not allowed to do it without being licensed by the state (usually requiring atleast a masters degree).

I concur.. In Colorado any spiritual counseling has to be based on the doctrine of your religion. They are also very strict and you if step over that line you have to be a registered therapist/counselor... or face criminal charges. In Colorado we have to register with DORA, (each state has a similar department) They have two sections, licensed and unlicensed.. Unlicensed still need certifications and are generally professions like Hypnotherapist.

Edited for TYPOS Again

Edited by Sky