Little Girl Plays Satriani Song

Verisoph

Nice.........Gibson thru Marshall.........is that what you play V?

I play mostly classical guitar and fingerstyle acoustic. When I do play electric, I prefer the raw, edgy sound of a strat, or anything with single coils pickups.

I gotta say though, this girl is getting a beautifully raunchy sound out of her Gibson.

I play mostly classical guitar and fingerstyle acoustic. When I do play electric, I prefer the raw, edgy sound of a strat, or anything with single coils pickups.

I gotta say though, this girl is getting a beautifully raunchy sound out of her Gibson.

I've never had a Gibson......always wanted an SG cuz I play mostly slide guitar out of open G. I've been using a "strat" (warmoth neck, on an ash body). I say "strat" because that is what it started off as, but now it has two humbuckers. It's white with blue flames, I had it paint to match the bike I was riding at the time (71 Shovelhead). I was playing through a Fender "Bluesman" tweed tube amp(60 watt with four 10" speakers).

Classical guitar.......I wouldn't have guessed. How long have you been at it?

I think this is cool but I wonder if half of these kids that play these instruments are taught with some type of Suzuki method...that they are playing but they don't really "know" how to play. Props to her if that isn't the case....

She looked to me like she was really feeling the music. Pretty impressive any way you slice it.

I've never had a Gibson......always wanted an SG cuz I play mostly slide guitar out of open G. I've been using a "strat" (warmoth neck, on an ash body). I say "strat" because that is what it started off as, but now it has two humbuckers.

That's an interesting arrangement. Did you do the mods yourself?

My first guess would be that you prefer the "round" sound of humbuckers, (along with the noise reduction), but wanted the increased sustain that you get from a solid body. Is that anywhere close to correct? If so, how well did it work?

Classical guitar.......I wouldn't have guessed. How long have you been at it?

I've been playing guitar for 34 years. I started playing classical after about 3 years, and played one exclusively for about 10. I still prefer my classical guitars to all my others., but I finally got over being a snob.

She looked to me like she was really feeling the music. Pretty impressive any way you slice it.

She certainly looked like she was getting into it to me. That's one of my all time favorite tunes, and I've watched that clip a few times now. At about 1:50 they cut to a closeup of her face, it's during a pretty intense passage, and you can see the concentration going on there. But then, the hard stuff is all behind her, and she's headed back into that beautiful, melodic chorus, and her little face just lights up.

She's either as good an actress as she is a guitar player, or she's loving what she's doing.

That's an interesting arrangement. Did you do the mods yourself?

Did not do the mods myself; my buddies as Moze Guitars take care of me real well. I laso had (at the time) a Fender P bass with the same paint scheme...both had them chrome telecaster type knobs. The bass had the fattest of a five string bass string set on it; tuned down down two whole steps so the fat string was a "C."

My first guess would be that you prefer the "round" sound of humbuckers, (along with the noise reduction), but wanted the increased sustain that you get from a solid body. Is that anywhere close to correct? If so, how well did it work?

Excellent guess. I wanted that round sound for the slide, but I wanted also that delicate Strat sound on occaision. I have a "humbucker from hell" at the neck which is not as muddy and is very close to a single coil. Then a regular f-spaced humbucker at the bridge. When I have the selector in the "both" position, has that nice Strat sound. I play 13's and tune it down a whole step, so I'm actually playing out of an "open f." People like the looks of my guitar and then pick up strum it a couple time and put it right back down because the the alternate tuning......lol..

I've been playing guitar for 34 years. I started playing classical after about 3 years, and played one exclusively for about 10. I still prefer my classical guitars to all my others., but I finally got over being a snob.

I started playing piano when I was about 6 ....then trumpet whan I was 8....then electric guitar when I was about 12. I have about 30 years on guitar but I do not have 30 years worth of ability to show for it. I have about 2 years on bass guitar and about 2 years on banjo.

I think one of the reason I gravitated towards playing slide was because of a lack of ability to actually play the guitar. My professional playing now is just strumming chords on an acoustic singing worship songs in church. Which is not really what I want to do, but a position someone needs to fill, that I can fill until the "real deal" shows up.

What is the "hot rod" classical guitar to have?

I assume classical guitar is played in standard (EADGBE) tuning?

What drew you to classical guitar?

When you play electric guitar, what (or who) typically do you play?

I laso had (at the time) a Fender P bass with the same paint scheme...both had them chrome telecaster type knobs. The bass had the fattest of a five string bass string set on it; tuned down down two whole steps so the fat string was a "C."

You don't strike me as a Korn fan - what WERE you playing with a monster like that? Such a bass needs to carry a huge warning label: ULF ALERT! MAY CAUSE SERIOUS SPEAKER DAMAGE AT BEST AND START AVALANCHES AND EARTHQUAKES AT WORST!

I started playing piano when I was about 6 ....then trumpet whan I was 8....then electric guitar when I was about 12. I have about 30 years on guitar but I do not have 30 years worth of ability to show for it. I have about 2 years on bass guitar and about 2 years on banjo.

I think one of the reason I gravitated towards playing slide was because of a lack of ability to actually play the guitar. My professional playing now is just strumming chords on an acoustic singing worship songs in church. Which is not really what I want to do, but a position someone needs to fill, that I can fill until the "real deal" shows up.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. For as long as I've been playing, and as much as I've played during that time (6 to 12 hours every day through many stretches), I should be a lot better than I am. I was a very slow learner.

What is the "hot rod" classical guitar to have?

Taylor makes some fine classical guitars. They're probably the most popular available for under $3000. Anyone who is serious about their playing though, and who has the money, will go for a handmade guitar built to their own specifications. Those start at around $6000, and can easily go as high as $20,000 or more.

I assume classical guitar is played in standard (EADGBE) tuning?

Usually, but not always. I play mine in open tunings quite a lot. I'm pretty fond of DADGAD, as well as open G. But then I'm not above playing blues, and even slide, on a classical guitar (when I say that I got over being a snob, I DO mean entirely).

Like you, I get a kick out of seeing people who don't know that there's such a thing as alternate tunings try to play one of my guitars when it's tuned weird. I was playing at a party one time and had a guy come up to me and tell me that he thought I was really good. Between sets, he asked if he could try out my guitar. As I handed it to him, I warned him that it was in open G. He told me that was okay, and I thought he knew what I was talking about, but such was not the case. He tried to play a few different songs, and with each one, the look on his face became more and more perplexed.

Finally, he just put the guitar on the floor - he didn't even hand it back to me. His face became pale and his hands started shaking. I was worried about him, and kept asking if he was okay. Finally he looked at me, something he'd been avoiding doing, and he demanded to know how I could play like I did on a guitar that was completely out of tune. The poor guy was convinced that I'd made some sort of deal with the devil. :devil:

What drew you to classical guitar?

I very much like classical music, I was raised around it. I like the warm sound of the strings and the wide variety of timbres that can be achieved by changing the position and angle of my right hand and even the amount of arch of my right hand fingers. I like the wide neck (typically about twice as wide as an acoustic) and the feel of nylon strings under my fingers. Classical guitars are much lighter than acoustic guitars and this causes the neck and body to resonate strongly when played - I like the way that feels in my hands and against my torso.

When you play electric guitar, what (or who) typically do you play?

I prefer an electric guitar when I'm improvising. Two drawbacks to classical guitar strings are a lack of sustain, and an unresponsiveness to bends. Sustain and bends are pretty handy expressive devices if you don't want your lead phrasing to be all quarter and eighth notes.