Horror Film Facts

Bluecat

Hi all,

I was discussing Horror films with my students recently (they love them!) and several of them assured me that "they knew" that people had been frightened literally to death while watching horror.

I wondered whether anyone could tell me of actual case where that has been proven?

I would think it would be quite possible for someone to be scared to death if they had a weak heart.

The most scared I have ever been while viewing a movie was watching Vincent Price's "Tales of Terror/Twice told Tales" I was a teen and the one in which they hypnotized the man on his death bed at the moment of death scarred the bejesus out of me. It was late at night and I was so tensed up I went down into the basement to rock out the tension in my favorite rocking chair. One quick look into the pitch blackness of the back of the basement and I'm surprised I didn't have any bowel movements as I haul assed up into my room and dove under the blankets. I'm normally not such a scaredy cat except when girl scouts come knocking on my door to sell there cookies at midnight lol

Hi all,

I was discussing Horror films with my students recently (they love them!) and several of them assured me that "they knew" that people had been frightened literally to death while watching horror.

I wondered whether anyone could tell me of actual case where that has been proven?

It happened to me when I was a kid. The Horror of Party Beach is the movie that did me in.

I got better.

Hi all,

Statistically, I'm sure you could find someone, somewhere that died during a horror movie... However, proving that the movie was the cause of their heart attack would be difficult... I'm sure people have died in church during the sermon... doesn't necessarily mean they were bored to death... :)

Edited by Dwight

Thank you all for the help and references!

Have just been reading Stephen King on the Horror Genre (in film and writing) and he recalled the 50s when horror films used to be announced with posters claiming that " a qualified nurse will be in attendance at each showing!"

Great publicity.

I suppose what I'd really like to find is a confirmed case of someone dropping dead in a horror film - preferably just at a particularly scary moment - even though there would be no guarantee of cause and effect.

I once thought this was ABOUT to happen to the person I'd gone to the cinema with (to Jurassic Park) but that turned out to be, umm... how shal I put it? ... more to do with previously ingested substances than the Speilberg wizardry.

That was my own personal scariest moment in a cinema, mind you... :kimmy: