The Craft Of The Wise

Unfortunately the coven I join up with sometimes has come across Dueling magics. Normally happens between covens when a younger member has a grudge or wants to prove themselves. It's easily dealt with but is a nuisance. :kimmy: Again only reason I've saw this happen is because a younger wants to prove themselves to the older and more experienced. Their simply not on the correct path when they do this. Each religion has its bad apples.

Yep, sounds familiar. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. :coffee:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I mentioned that you can be a pretty active witch without actually "casting spells" so before we get into this lets make certain everyone means the same thing, has the same definition for, "spell casting"

I am including,

Tarot/Oracle readings-personal and querant

Cleansings

Blessings

Circle Castings

Sabbat/Esbat rituals

Initiations (formal)

and probably a bunch of other stuff that makes no sense to include in this list.

I am not including

Acts of Kindness

Meditation

Massage

Herbal Remedies?

Counseling

A warm shoulder

Yet I hesitate to say of any of those things that I am not in fact using magick. In fact, it is my opinion that all the focus, discipline, and love I work so hard to develop for the casting of formalized spells is used in its very best magickal form while engaging in those more practical activities.

Where the line gets really, really gray for me is where divination of any kind occurs. I don't consider myself to be overly "psychic" but I am definitely aware of my surroundings and the energies around me. In fact I am constantly working on moving those energies in precisely the right way for the best possible outcomes. It's so important to me not to miss important factors so as to not cause anyone harm that I spend much more time divining, looking, listening, and contemplating, rather than actually acting on those perceptions (as humans who spend all their time in the realm of imagination easily fool themselves into believing that they "know" things they really know nothing about--this is careless, unwise, and will cause a great deal of drama if not actual harm.) I consider this ability to discern to be the greatest of my magicks.

My other magick which never requires actual casting is my ability to create illusions. While I refuse to use this power to "fool" people, I spend a lot of time "manifesting" environments, feelings, and impressions. Humans are pretty suggestible so this is hardly a difficult task, but I really go for it. In the world of magick this ability comes with an array of "spells" usually known as glamours. I have never used a formal glamour spell. I have been known to create a ritual out of creating an environment or doing my makeup and sometimes I really get into it, but as a general rule, this is a pretty subtle process. I don't spend a lot of time letting other people in on what I'm doing. As a Scorpio any chance I get to do something that is both positive and secretive, I'll take it.

Divination bothers me personally mainly because I don't want to know what is coming. I want to experience everything firsthand. I feel it is not what happens to us that matters, but rather how we respond to it is wherin our lessons lie and how we develope spiritually.

Divination to me is like someone telling me how the movie ends. My trust in the Divine is pretty strong and no matter what comes my way I'm ready for it with the Divine right there for me. Needing to get a peak of whats to come seems to me to be a non-trusting state of mind.

Life to me is like an amusement ride. Let go and let the Divine give me the ride of a lifetime. If a skeleton is going to pop out at me around the corner and I already know that it is going to happen it takes a lot of the fun out of that section of ride.

I have never heard of "glamours" before sounds interesting. Does this abilty have to be a local event for you or can you project them across the globe?

Edited by Fawzo

I appreciate where you're coming from on the divination thing. I understand what your saying, and as I've said dozens of times, not every one works in all the same ways. For me, divination is like knowing where all the allied armies, and most of the enemy armies have hidden their base camps. Forwarned is forarmed so to speak.

As for the glamours, it's all a local process. I mean obviously people can use the internet, post, and phone calls to project certain impressions to certain peoples or groups of people, and I suppose if I were to build a website, I would work hard to make it a truly "magickal" site so that you felt transported to another realm (like a virtual Diagon Alley) but that would be the absolute furthest possible extent of it.

By and large, its a totally local ability. Truth is, if no one is looking, they can't possibly see what I want them to. Once they're looking where I want them to, I can make them see any possibility that is within their own imaginational limits. (and my too obviously)

What's the point, one might ask. Its simple. The truth is, my house is a constant wreck and smells permanently of my husband's dirty socks. No one I know will tell you that, and not just because they're being polite. They will instead talk about how it's so nice and warm and inviting at my place, and they'll coo at my creative space saving solutions, and ooh and ahh about what a pleasant home I have etc. Truth be told, my apartment could burn to the ground before I get home from work today, and I could give a crap less. This is the nature of the glamour. I have spent so much time visualizing my little den just the way I want it, cleansing it, blessing it, and spending time with it, that it gives off only the impressions that I want it to. In other words, it's a dump disguised as a retreat. You can see that the nature of such work requires a real hands-on approach, so no, I wouldn't say it has much of an "area of effect" On the other hand, since my own environment affects me, my environment also secondarily affects everyone who contacts me. My mother for example can describe my bedroom although she has never been it. She hasn't actually seen one of my rooms for about 14 years, but she more or less knows what my house looks like, or at least what I want her to think it looks like-hehe.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The more we share across belief systems I feel the more tolerance and compassion we can have for others as some of our ignorance of some things is lifted.

I was just pondering the reasons why some of the things on your magick list would be considered "sinful" by God according to mainstream Christianity and then I remembered that the coat that Moses created for his brother Aaron the highpriest contained the 12 gemstones and it also contained the Urim and the Thummim which were some type of divination tool. Hmm interesting and of course even the Apostles cast lots to decide who would replace Judas.

I wonder why the Holy SPirit didn't answer this question for them and they had to resort to casting lots to get direction from God and the Holy Spirit.

Sorry for bringing those up it's just the way my mind rambles sometimes looking for truth.

I guess the only kind of divination type action I perform would be when I'm hiking and come to a fork and can't decide which way to go. I toss my walking stick in the air and whichever way it points is the way I travel.

Edited by Fawzo

I really love talking about this stuff, and frankly I believe that if people can keep talking honestly-about the issues hehe- then we can bridge those differences between us long enough to come up with innovative and comprehensive solutions to our problems. The debate is on, so we'll chat later.

I'm going to jump in here real quick because you mentioned something like...

...So I mentioned that you can be a pretty active witch without actually "casting spells"...

It is an interesting consideration that the more advance one becomes on their path(s) the less one is expected to rely on thaumaturgy or low "manifestational magicks"; and instead to concentrate on the higher theurgical concepts that their paths profess.

So absolutely are we expected to divest ourselves of the material desires to change the way that everything is, and instead to manifest those things as what they are, in their own place, appreciating them for everything that they confer upon us.

What I wonder, however, is what you would consider being an "active ______"? What makes being that _______ any more evident, any more important, than your own humanity?

Edited by Brother Sean

First I'll answer Brother Sean's question-well kind of.

What I wonder, however, is what you would consider being an "active ______"? What makes being that _______ any more evident, any more important, than your own humanity?

Okay maybe the second _______ messed me up here, because I'm just not quite sure what the question is.

any more evident, any more important, than your own humanity?

Nothing is more important than my humanity. A spiritually active life is the way that I best fulfill my own humanity. Magick is the manifestation, the evidence of just how important humanity is to me. If I had a ton of money, I'd be some sort of philanthropist I'm sure. If I'd been any good at math, I'd express my humanity creating all natural cleaning products or soaps or something. What I understand is the human heart, human desires, and some of the ways the human mind "breaks" and some of the rudimentary "fixes". I also understand the undercurrent of all life as I understand it. I call that undercurrent the Divine, and I find that the more I actively seek Divine inspiration and Divine activities, the more completely I am able to express the full potential of my humanity while bringing out the finest points in others. This is my primary weapon in my crusade against apathy and fear, the Two Great Evils, (in my own universe anyway)

I don't know if that even answered your question, maybe you could try wording it another way for me if I missed it.

It's a brain freeze kind of a day :kimmy:

Now as for Fawzo's questions. I have an answer based on personal opinion rather than any factual or consensual reality.

Part 1:

I was just pondering the reasons why some of the things on your magick list would be considered "sinful" by God according to mainstream Christianity

Well, I guess that would depend on which things on the lists you noticed were considered sinful. I can give you a couple of my mother's arguements, but I doubt that they represent the official reasons given by mainstream Christianity.

My mother objects to meditation because she believes that if you open yourself up to "recieving messages" then Satan can use the opportunity as an opening to decieve you. This is the same reason essentially that she objects to readings. Who's to say where that information is coming from? That's her arguement anyway. Personally, I believe that it is an arguement based on the natural fear that one feels when confronted with something they haven't had an honest opportunity to learn about first hand. Churches object to people experimenting with these processes-rarely explaining why, and one's natural fears and inclinations do the rest.

Which others did you have in mind?

I remembered that the coat that Moses created for his brother Aaron the highpriest contained the 12 gemstones and it also contained the Urim and the Thummim which were some type of divination tool.

The old Testament is filled with archaic symbols, jewels, magick, divination, and literally every other tool that you will find in the early history of any indiginous peoples. Moses parting the Red Sea is perhaps one of the clearest examples. Talking to the burning bush is clearly scrying. The rods to snakes also a clear example of the early Hebrews believing in and using powerful magicks in representation of their God. This is part of what Jesus does away with by his birth, crucifixtion and resurrection. Man has always needed a "go-between" from his natural, most base self, to the highest, most Divine self. Cloaks and Staves and Tablets serve as the earliest go-betweens. According to Christianity, following the teachings of the Messiah, and asking for blessings, or working humbly, in the name of Jesus Christ, who's blood atoned all human sin, is the vehicle by which natural man realizes a personal relationship with God. This also helps explain why magick is looked down upon. It is considered by many to be a woefully misguided activity engaged in by primitive and uneducated people in it's best light. In it's worst light it is practiced by selfish people unwilling to accept the light and forgiveness of Christ, in other words, people who are choosing to turn their backs on God.

Clearly I do not believe either of those arguements hold much water.

I wonder why the Holy SPirit didn't answer this question for them and they had to resort to casting lots to get direction from God and the Holy Spirit.

This question would be funny if it wasn't genuine. Casting lots and drawing straws-ahh when all else fails. Truth is, if the Apostles had allowed the Holy Spirit to flow through them, it probably would have given a perfectly acceptable solution to their problem. At the time however the Apostles were angry and afraid. The more control we give bitterness, resentment, jealousy, anger, fear, and apathy, the harder it is for us to hear the messages that our world is constantly giving us. Without their ICON (Jesus), the apostles were confused and afraid, not to mention dealing with quite a bit of personal drama dealing with how Jesus' teachings should be best interpreted. If you read their stories you discover they did not at all agree amongst themselves what they were supposed to be learning. Rightly this is because each of them had different lessons to learn, but once Jesus was taken and Judas had committed suicide, all of this became to much to bear.

Since they weren't able to hear the Divine whisper (the Holy Spirit) for themselves, and Jesus wasn't there to advise them, they "fell back" on an old tried and true method. Casting lots in this case. Now, some may consider this a period of doubt and failing on the part of this Apostles but I personally believe it shows that they were aware that this worked, and they themselves did not believe the activity to be "sinful".

One more quick word on how Divination works. They say our subconscious brain knows quite a bit that it would dearly love to communicate if only we weren't so busy running around and not listening. I have no reason to doubt this to be more or less true. I believe that Divination is the method by which we learn to listen to the deepest parts of our own psyches. Recall the Rorschach Test. Now while it's not actually a good psychological tool, it does demonstrate a common phenomenon. People's abilities to "read into" and interprete the abstract; to create form from chaos. All the Diviner is doing is analying their own reality, including their past realities, to create a coherent picture by which they can see the potential ripples of their actions their hopes and their fears. There's nothing "supernatural" about it. In your case, you use it to help make certain types of decisions. And surely you've guessed by now that it's far preferable to standing for 20 minutes at a fork trying to decide which way your brain "really" wants you to go. Who cares if it actually "works" In your case no matter what the answer is the stick gives you, it becomes the starting point from which you smoothly transition into a right and correct decision for you.

...Then again I could be wrong.

:kimmy:

Now as for Fawzo's questions. I have an answer based on personal opinion rather than any factual or consensual reality.

Part 1:

Well, I guess that would depend on which things on the lists you noticed were considered sinful. I can give you a couple of my mother's arguements, but I doubt that they represent the official reasons given by mainstream Christianity.

My mother objects to meditation because she believes that if you open yourself up to "recieving messages" then Satan can use the opportunity as an opening to decieve you. This is the same reason essentially that she objects to readings. Who's to say where that information is coming from? That's her arguement anyway. Personally, I believe that it is an arguement based on the natural fear that one feels when confronted with something they haven't had an honest opportunity to learn about first hand. Churches object to people experimenting with these processes-rarely explaining why, and one's natural fears and inclinations do the rest.

Which others did you have in mind?

The old Testament is filled with archaic symbols, jewels, magick, divination, and literally every other tool that you will find in the early history of any indiginous peoples. Moses parting the Red Sea is perhaps one of the clearest examples. Talking to the burning bush is clearly scrying. The rods to snakes also a clear example of the early Hebrews believing in and using powerful magicks in representation of their God. This is part of what Jesus does away with by his birth, crucifixtion and resurrection. Man has always needed a "go-between" from his natural, most base self, to the highest, most Divine self. Cloaks and Staves and Tablets serve as the earliest go-betweens. According to Christianity, following the teachings of the Messiah, and asking for blessings, or working humbly, in the name of Jesus Christ, who's blood atoned all human sin, is the vehicle by which natural man realizes a personal relationship with God. This also helps explain why magick is looked down upon. It is considered by many to be a woefully misguided activity engaged in by primitive and uneducated people in it's best light. In it's worst light it is practiced by selfish people unwilling to accept the light and forgiveness of Christ, in other words, people who are choosing to turn their backs on God.

Clearly I do not believe either of those arguements hold much water.

This question would be funny if it wasn't genuine. Casting lots and drawing straws-ahh when all else fails. Truth is, if the Apostles had allowed the Holy Spirit to flow through them, it probably would have given a perfectly acceptable solution to their problem. At the time however the Apostles were angry and afraid. The more control we give bitterness, resentment, jealousy, anger, fear, and apathy, the harder it is for us to hear the messages that our world is constantly giving us. Without their ICON (Jesus), the apostles were confused and afraid, not to mention dealing with quite a bit of personal drama dealing with how Jesus' teachings should be best interpreted. If you read their stories you discover they did not at all agree amongst themselves what they were supposed to be learning. Rightly this is because each of them had different lessons to learn, but once Jesus was taken and Judas had committed suicide, all of this became to much to bear.

Since they weren't able to hear the Divine whisper (the Holy Spirit) for themselves, and Jesus wasn't there to advise them, they "fell back" on an old tried and true method. Casting lots in this case. Now, some may consider this a period of doubt and failing on the part of this Apostles but I personally believe it shows that they were aware that this worked, and they themselves did not believe the activity to be "sinful".

One more quick word on how Divination works. They say our subconscious brain knows quite a bit that it would dearly love to communicate if only we weren't so busy running around and not listening. I have no reason to doubt this to be more or less true. I believe that Divination is the method by which we learn to listen to the deepest parts of our own psyches. Recall the Rorschach Test. Now while it's not actually a good psychological tool, it does demonstrate a common phenomenon. People's abilities to "read into" and interprete the abstract; to create form from chaos. All the Diviner is doing is analying their own reality, including their past realities, to create a coherent picture by which they can see the potential ripples of their actions their hopes and their fears. There's nothing "supernatural" about it. In your case, you use it to help make certain types of decisions. And surely you've guessed by now that it's far preferable to standing for 20 minutes at a fork trying to decide which way your brain "really" wants you to go. Who cares if it actually "works" In your case no matter what the answer is the stick gives you, it becomes the starting point from which you smoothly transition into a right and correct decision for you.

...Then again I could be wrong.

Wow some very insightfull and thought provoking answers! My brain is in fog mode at the moment so I'll have to return and reread through it this weekend to make any intelligent comments.

My mother objects to meditation because she believes that if you open yourself up to "recieving messages" then Satan can use the opportunity as an opening to decieve you.

Dont have a bible in front of me but dosent Psalms 1 say something to the effect of " on his law you should meditate night and day"?

Om

Shanti

Music

~ Himitsuko, I thank you so much for your posts! You've allowed me to understand a bit more of myself actually :)

7, 8 years ago I carved symbols I'd seen in a dream into stones we'd found at the beach & drew designs on cloth. Open-ended, non-defining, personal.

... Not as divination tools, but for understanding. { Most everyone thought me nuts, no surprise! }

Concentration upon the readings did allow thoughts that may have been hidden by fear or misunderstandings to be faced. Helped a few.

Hadn't thought about that in years { Life does tend to knot things up sometimes, y'know? }.

& just babbling along as I do... Collected drift-wood too & carved walking sticks also. Interesting how designs would come 'from the wood'!

People wondered how one would be viny w/a fairy & the next a rattle snake & I'd just shrug & say, "Someone wants that." { & some day someone will! :lol: }

I understand what you're saying about 'glamour' & thank you for clarifying that.

Our house is full of stuff. Stuff my father collected, stuff my husband & I have collected, etc.

Finding the right place for everything, well, I've got a skill at finding places for things. I know, things are just that, 'things'... & yes, it's a silly talent.

Yet, 'things' are at times imbued with memories & energies & proper placement can alter perceptions. Like with Fung Shue. (sp?)

I realize the basic tenets of such includes no clutter. I don't consider the '20s leopord beside the bronze dragon vase to be 'clutter'. It's balancing that corner.

& so I move & manipulate 'things' adjusting to what I feel needs done.

I know, I'm not making much sense, huh? Sorry.

I apologise for interrupting.

Ok this is a little bit off the wall, but what purpose would one have for reciting the groonkydoodle chant/spell.

It is almost impossible to find on-line and it does seem as if everytime it is recited things go haywire.

Is anyone familar with it and know a link where I can read it. Its been ages since I saw it anywhere.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've had a cold that has made my head entirely too fuzzy to put together thoughts in anything resembling a coherent and meaningful way. Obviously, I feel much better today.

Ok this is a little bit off the wall, but what purpose would one have for reciting the groonkydoodle chant/spell.

Actually this is a great question and one that no one was able to answer for me and I had to figure out all on my own. I mean, it seems pretty silly. "Your telling me that if I chant this weird stuff in just the right tone of voice, the universe can hear me better than if I speak in English??? Some universe eh?"

So hear's the real deal. First, there are spells out there marketed generally to the lowest common denominator (in this case teens and young adults) that are filled with incomprehensible gobbeldy-**. It does serve a purpose although I don't personally think it serves it well. The trick is to get your logical mind-the part that wants to analyze and identify every little thing, to turn off for a bit to allow the abstract part of your mind, the part that can play, and doesn't care what the words mean, to start functioning. For a great many people, this is a very problematic part of magick. You need the playing part of your brain to get exercise and at the start of learning to shape our worlds, many of us have already had the play worked and studied right out of us.

Now, I'm not sure that this actually works as well as some might hope, and personally, I skipped right over that with absolutely no ill effect.

Chanting in Foreign Languages

Here's what you'll run into next. The justification even makes a little sense. If a spell was originally written for a certain past culture, doing that spell in the original language "tunes you in" to all those energies. It helps us feel connected to the ancestors and ancient powers. Don't forget, it's just a psychological game. You're just trying to get you're brain out of it's normal operational mode for a few minutes until you get good at it. At least with the foreign language bit, a good book or teacher will provide you proper pronunciation and a good translation. Often too, the words flow much better in the language they are originally written in, since poetic styles tend to work best in their own language.

Tone: What's with the dramatic intonations? Well, again there's the psychological trick, but once you get past how silly you look and just run with it, intonation draws serious energy from you're body. In some karate classes they teach you to kiai (kee-aye) from the gut while punching or kicking. It doesn't add merely percieved power to your strikes. Nope it's the real deal and when done correctly, adds a lot of actual power to you're actions. Why, well because to do it, you have to commit you're entire body and breath all the way to your purpose.

Intonation works on the same principle. You HAVE to commit all the way to do it right. At first, you're just trying to get your mind and body to co-operate as one, working together. The second thing that happens is that now, when you do this, your entire being, "gets ready." You know what you're doing now, and you start doing it with real gusto. Essentially, you've applied Pavlov's principle to yourself by using sound and breath to trigger a desired psychological affect. This step in spell working cannot be effectively skipped to the best of my knowledge.

Once you get the hang of intonation (which you can of course learn in any language including good ole' fashioned redneck) then you can really "work" formalized (ritualized) spells. I think of this stage as the second stage of magickal training. And here too is where you have to get pretty disciplined about your "practice" if you want to continue. You can cut corners for a long time in the beginning, but once you actually start learning, and doing, and doing, and teaching, you not only can't cut corners well, you don't really want to any more. You start using all that you have available to you. Your house, your voice, your body, your mind, your talents, your skills, and you find less and less need to seek those books out at all anymore. You have learned to listen to yourself-and to speak to yourself. The language and movements of your practice become wholly "YOU" rather than what someone else recommends. I can go into that transition in great detail if you would like, but I was wondering, in your own spiritual practice, do you often actively engage your senses and will for the purpose of affecting your environment?

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I've had a cold that has made my head entirely too fuzzy to put together thoughts in anything resembling a coherent and meaningful way. Obviously, I feel much better today.

Actually this is a great question and one that no one was able to answer for me and I had to figure out all on my own. I mean, it seems pretty silly. "Your telling me that if I chant this weird stuff in just the right tone of voice, the universe can hear me better than if I speak in English??? Some universe eh?"

So hear's the real deal. First, there are spells out there marketed generally to the lowest common denominator (in this case teens and young adults) that are filled with incomprehensible gobbeldy-**. It does serve a purpose although I don't personally think it serves it well. The trick is to get your logical mind-the part that wants to analyze and identify every little thing, to turn off for a bit to allow the abstract part of your mind, the part that can play, and doesn't care what the words mean, to start functioning. For a great many people, this is a very problematic part of magick. You need the playing part of your brain to get exercise and at the start of learning to shape our worlds, many of us have already had the play worked and studied right out of us.

Now, I'm not sure that this actually works as well as some might hope, and personally, I skipped right over that with absolutely no ill effect.

Chanting in Foreign Languages

Here's what you'll run into next. The justification even makes a little sense. If a spell was originally written for a certain past culture, doing that spell in the original language "tunes you in" to all those energies. It helps us feel connected to the ancestors and ancient powers. Don't forget, it's just a psychological game. You're just trying to get you're brain out of it's normal operational mode for a few minutes until you get good at it. At least with the foreign language bit, a good book or teacher will provide you proper pronunciation and a good translation. Often too, the words flow much better in the language they are originally written in, since poetic styles tend to work best in their own language.

Tone: What's with the dramatic intonations? Well, again there's the psychological trick, but once you get past how silly you look and just run with it, intonation draws serious energy from you're body. In some karate classes they teach you to kiai (kee-aye) from the gut while punching or kicking. It doesn't add merely percieved power to your strikes. Nope it's the real deal and when done correctly, adds a lot of actual power to you're actions. Why, well because to do it, you have to commit you're entire body and breath all the way to your purpose.

Intonation works on the same principle. You HAVE to commit all the way to do it right. At first, you're just trying to get your mind and body to co-operate as one, working together. The second thing that happens is that now, when you do this, your entire being, "gets ready." You know what you're doing now, and you start doing it with real gusto. Essentially, you've applied Pavlov's principle to yourself by using sound and breath to trigger a desired psychological affect. This step in spell working cannot be effectively skipped to the best of my knowledge.

Once you get the hang of intonation (which you can of course learn in any language including good ole' fashioned redneck) then you can really "work" formalized (ritualized) spells. I think of this stage as the second stage of magickal training. And here too is where you have to get pretty disciplined about your "practice" if you want to continue. You can cut corners for a long time in the beginning, but once you actually start learning, and doing, and doing, and teaching, you not only can't cut corners well, you don't really want to any more. You start using all that you have available to you. Your house, your voice, your body, your mind, your talents, your skills, and you find less and less need to seek those books out at all anymore. You have learned to listen to yourself-and to speak to yourself. The language and movements of your practice become wholly "YOU" rather than what someone else recommends. I can go into that transition in great detail if you would like, but I was wondering, in your own spiritual practice, do you often actively engage your senses and will for the purpose of affecting your environment?

Good Post Himitsuko,

While living at Satchidananda Ashram I took Mantra initiation and learned a lot of sanskrit mantra. Very powerful stuff! Sanskrit is an ancient language and has an alphabet consisting of 50 letters which makes mispronounciation difficult (And also hard to translate into english), but pronounciation is everything as its very much about getting the exact vibration. I have some of these posted in my board under the topic Mantra in the yoga section. http://churchofthespirit.yuku.com/topic/758

Swami Sivananda had said that Mantra was the quickest way to change your inner vibration in this day and age. I still do Mantra on a daily basis and also often use it during Reiki.

Om Shanti

Music

Edited by musicman153

Thanks for that MusicMan.

Some people may be intimidated by the idea of speaking in ancient languages but for those of us all about the power of play, and willing to look over little mistakes in pronunciation in order to get to the point, rituals in Sanskrit or ancient Hebrew, offer fascinating worlds in ancient ways of thinking. Definately a way to learn more about our brothers and sisters not only across the globe, but across the expanse of time itself. I greatly appreciate your contribution. I won't be on much today, I have a ton of work to do, but I'll check in a bit later.

I like how Fawzo right off helped us define the difference between Magician and Mystic...Thank you Fawzo.

In my practice I have clung more to the Mystical side of things, but to the point of Self deity, for myself.

I still do spell work with sigils, classic craft, and help people with problem solving using magickal remedies, which is mostly psychology.

A person needs to feel empowered, so I give them a simple spell they can believe in, and preform without too much trouble, but most of the time they just need to talk.

Early on I had a hard time with all things human, and it took me a while to get grounded and balanced in my pursuit of magick. Oddly enough it was science which grounded me right along with gardening and women.

For me learning to love this world has been the biggest hump. Learning to appreciate this place and not yearn too hard for the mysterious place beyond, because there's a reason, I, wanted to be here. I know why now, and it has focused my magickal eye.

I am in this world for occult reason, this doesn't make me an authority on it, and I'm here to help.

I am in this world for occult reason, this doesn't make me an authority on it, and I'm here to help.

Here, here. For those of us who've moved this far in our personal journey's, we know that there are still a TON of challenges, not the least of which is a little humility. I have spent my life studying psychological, sociological, and metaphysical, realities, perceptions, and methods. I can speak pretty knowledgably on what I know. But, I'm with you Magus Adam, this does NOT make me an actual authority on anything except how to live my own life, which I manage with about 80% efficiency-a pretty good mark to make by 28.

But your comment reminds me of the concept of authority as I learned it in my early studies of Druidry. I want to delve into the fine balance that we Craft practitioners must walk between this type of authority, (which I will hereafter distinguish by italics so we are not confused by the same word in its more generic definition) and the humility that comes with awe and respect for our world and all that lives in it. Before we can do that, lets make certain that everyone participating knows what I mean as otherwise, the conversation will turn quickly to an arguement of definition.

So first, what do you believe is meant by the word authority in it's metaphysical context, and how do you feel that definition differs from what Magus Adam pointed out about not being an authority?

"80% efficiency-a pretty good mark to make by 28."

Hmm...from an Astrological point you are approaching Saturn's 29.5 year transit age match up. Some people don't notice a difference until they're 30+, but Saturn is the heavenly body which travels from the light to darkness and back again.

When you turn 30, there's a psychological change in behavior in which we you may view 20-somethings as kids. You'll see things from a deeper maturity.

"But your comment reminds me of the concept of authority as I learned it in my early studies of Druidry."

Cool! I'd like to hear about this.

I always try not to take myself too seriously, I learned this from Taoism.

Some people don't notice a difference until they're 30+, but Saturn is the heavenly body which travels from the light to darkness and back again.

When I was 25, the world as I knew it crumbled and I, quite momentarily, (about nine months) spun totally out of control. Mind you, my world only started to crumble at 25, it didn't stop until I was almost 28. Now, I am a new person, living a new life, in a new place, and the only thing that has remained constant is my ever more determination to be a force of good and reason and truth in the world. This can't be done at all properly if one is not gifted with the ability to laugh at ones-self, and at the whole rollicking nature of the world. That isn't always easy for me, a scorpio, to remember. My personal sense of humor is very dry and frankly, pretty subtle. The only person I truly amuse is myself. On the other hand, I am a great lover of other people's clevernesses, and laugh without reservation at the little ironies around me.

As to the other, I actually only have access when I'm at work and with the elections coming up I've been pretty busy. I'll try to get you an clear concise and researched examples of the differences as I understand them, by tommorow, but if I do not, I will respond on Sunday. As it is, I am way too busy this evening to really do the subject justice.

Namaste

~ Well, you could try to not be so dry & hit it suko...

Just a thought. I know, not sought.

Would an apology a bit soggy

lighten your dry wit to allow a twit

to mention a suspension of your own fear?

Don't worry dear... I know I'm just babbling.

It's your self you need to find and unbind.

:wub:

• Amulet locked this topic