Thoughtl On Shamanism Lessons #3 And #4

I am enjoying the information in this course. It is interesting to find that even in this type of spiritual practice there were many ways it could develope. It is interesting to find that if the spirits choose you, you would become ill but would eventually recover from that trial. Many in the healing field in this country would relate to having gone through the need for healing themselves. I find it refreshing that the Shaman could be placed in a category such as Great Shaman, Middling Shaman, and Little Shaman. It seems to be more a way of describing what kind of services would be provided, not meant as a slight. Even though some are chosen by spirit, some could serve as there was a need, especially to take care of the general family needs that would arise. Also, it is realised that some are "just" wise and skillful people. Others may have a familar that is the spirit of a deceased Shaman who has agreed to protect and work with the living Shaman. I was not surprised to learn that their are Black Shaman and White Shaman who have pretty much the context that I would have thought. I understand the point that was made that a Black Shaman is not necessarily an evil person, but works with evil spirits. However, there is something that I wonder about. If a person is chosen by a (or some) evil spirit to be a Shaman, is this done with that person's permission? If it is not would that be an instance of possession as understood in the Christian sense? I realise that we are not talking about people who have a Christian world view. Normally, I would think of any kind of (especially forced ) take over of another as evil, but do not know if this would be seen as such by the people who have Shamans as their priests. Anyone know how they would look at it?

• Amulet locked this topic