Post-apocalyptic Ooks

Are you talking about scitpural ones such as Shepard of Hermas, I & II Esdras, the Coptic Apocalypse of Peter and two other Apocalypses of Peter.

The Apocalypse of Paul and the The secret book of John also known as the Apocryphon of John.

All these circulated among the church during early Christianty and a few where even thought of as canon and can be found in the earliest manuscripts of the Bible such as Codex Sinaiticus.

Too many think of those as soooooo much more than fiction. Ever see a documentary called "Jesus Camp"?

no, but i just looked at the wiki entry. it would be pretty funny if that stuff didnt really go on..

one step down from Westboro Baptist, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a mind-blowing post-apocalyptic novel by Russell Hoban called "Riddley Walker", written in a kind of post-apocalypse British dialect. Once you get over the strangeness on the page it really inhabits your head.

"A Canticle For Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller is pretty fine too.

PD James wrote "The Children of Men" about another kind of apocalyse (also made into a film).

Margaret Atwood has written at least 2 "speculative fiction" novels about post apocalytic societies: "Oryx and Crake" (which I haven't read) and the wonderful "The Handmaid's Tale".

When I was in the States it had just come out and a lot of people told me they could really see something like that happening there (it hasn't, yet) and now I live in the Arabian Gulf I can see some parallels with contemporary Gulf society...

Edited by Bluecat