Shamanism Test #1

Hello, this is my first post. Amy suggested that I put this on the forum. I hope this is the right place. These are the responses to the questions for the first Shamanism lesson. 1. The word Shamanism originated among the Siberian Tungus. The term Shaman comes from the Russian language from the Siberian Tungus. Shaman is "technically" only found in central and artic

Asia. But the phenomenon of "Shamanism" has been found in many places around the world in "the first of it's kind" belief systems that sprang up in individual areas. 2. Animism is the belief in souls. Depending on the belief system,this may include plants,animals, or rocks as well as humans. 3. It is true that Shamanistic practices are thought to predate all organized religions. 4. Native American peoples in America would seem to me to be the ones who practice Shamanism in the "first of it's kind" form. 5. Axis mundi refers to the world center or the connection between heaven and earth. It could be a holy place, a power place, a tree or a plant that is seen as a way to approach the spirit world. 6. Some of the differences between Buddhism, Christianity, and Shamanism: Shamanism has a form in each region that is specific to and serves that area and tends to stay there. The other two have been exported to other areas. I think that Shamanism is probably more accepting of the natural in surroundings and human behavior. I think that Shamanism might be more inclined to work with what is already there and gradually work for changes. The other two might be more inclined to force compliance and obedience of their norm as far as behavior. A Shaman might try to bring change through spiritual change first. 7. Many healers work with physical tools, whether from nature or man-made. Their aim tends to be directed more at results for the body. Even if a healer calls on spiritual help, he probably will not journey or try to guide the other's soul. A Shaman is primarily concerned with the health of the soul whether the body lives or dies. I feel that body,mind, and soul are connected. So I am not sure how he would decide to "treat" or not. 8. I was happy being a Catholic when I was young. I was married by a minister of another faith. This made it hard for me to practice as I had before as this was not always accepted back then. So I began to look more closely at where I might really fit in. (still looking) I consider myself a healer. I first experienced that through prayer for people. I also spent many years in denominations that practice laying on of hands for healing. I am now a massage therapist. I also do energy work for healing. I do not consider myself a Shaman. But I do see some correlations to some of the things listed. I do some work with passing souls to the Light that some people consider psyco pomp. But if you use the term to refer only to quidance to the Underworld, it may not apply to what I have done. I don't feel that I convey myth. I don't take an active part in the preservation of the body. Several years ago I did have a job where I would spend time with dying people. Sometimes I would help clean them before the family came in or the undertaker took them. But I would guess this preservation spoken of involves a lot more than that. In no way would I presume that I could control Spirit. But in working with people I have asked that my Source remove negative entities on rare occasions. At those times I may feel like a servant,a tool or a friend of Spirit. But I do not feel like I am using spirit as in directing what spirit will do. 9. Lamas and Shamans are probably not the same. Lamas say there are paths that go from Tibet to N. America that they use to communicate with Shamans. The paths that they describe do not seem to match up with the descriptions that other Shamans report. They do not seem to be seen by the Shamans that they report seeing. Unless they are transforming in some way, they are probably not on these same paths. 10. I think the way of the Path of the Shamanism would be to learn the beliefs of a traditional people. Then you would have to accept and respectfully practice ways to know and work with spirits. The learning might include an initiation or apprenticeship. The practice would have to include psycho pomp, preservation of the body or resting place of the soul, and being able to convey myth.