True Colors

VonNoble

There is no such thing as truth once you start intellectualizing about it...

I'm going to agree with this statement. Ultimately, "truth" is only as true as the depth of our knowledge. Sometimes, what we have always held as true is indeed revealed to not be. I personally believe that "truth" is therefore transparent.

I started to and found your statement to be untrue so I stopped.

Sorry to ruin your reputation, but I agree with you.

I'm going to agree with this statement. Ultimately, "truth" is only as true as the depth of our knowledge. Sometimes, what we have always held as true is indeed revealed to not be. I personally believe that "truth" is therefore transparent.

The truth ultimately does not change with the degree of ignorance of the observer. Only perception of the truth changes with the degree of ignorance of the observer.

I started to and found your statement to be untrue so I stopped.

I hear Barack right now talking about change on the TV,,, what I want to know,,, After all these years of Civil Rights, Will the Blacks, Not African-Americans will riot???

I hope not, but if they do in 48 days, they take the lost of a Black American didn't win the Presitenal win, no Guns, No chains, No anthying when it come's to Racial Violence.

I hear the KKK is ready to attack if there is problems,,, Hey look, I'm a American,, i can say Itailain American, but thats not the way I live.

Civil Rights?????

Aren't those days past, we all live with each other, I won't kiss a black man or woman's ass, but I also don't expect them to kiss my ass, we'll you all know what I'm saying.

It's sounds corney, but why can't we all get along,,,the KKK, what they need is sheets to cover there damn face's, hopefully there sheets are full of strong bleach and make's them sick as hell.

Let me tell you all, White, Black,Asian, mexican, and who ever else ,,(all I ask) is that you did what my Immagrant family did, not does ,but what what did.

My Family had to know English before they took there there Immigration test, which they were proud to take, to learn English and The American Constitution.

You know what I'm speaking about...

Let Us all be free, but let us earn it!!!!

Rev.John

Does the truth come in colors?

Von

I like the idea of shades and nuance...

It comes in shades, but not colors. There is much nuance in life, but relativism can only go so far.

But were it a spectral color I'd say Black. Because of the absence of influence. Truth is or it is not, there is no in between. What is true to me may not be to you and so it negates the idea of shades of reality. Just because we do not see the truth doesn't make it any less real.

The truth ultimately does not change with the degree of ignorance of the observer. Only perception of the truth changes with the degree of ignorance of the observer.

Not necessarily, in my opinion. There are truths out there which remain "true" to specific individuals despite of what you and I know or think. Are we wrong, or are they? Even with things such as "truth" and "honesty" there are areas which aren't completely absolute. What may be a truth to me could be just an opinion to you. For instance, if I were to say "I am a good person," there is no way that any one can say that this opinion is not a true statement to me. You and the rest of the world may and would probably disagree, but if I hold my statement as "true" and honestly believe that it is,then to me it's true. Therefore, I believe that truth is transparent, and depends on what lies beneath to "show color".

Again, this is all my interpretation of it, as I believe that certain concepts can't always be "categorized" or "color coded", and are more subjective than others believe.

Not necessarily, in my opinion. There are truths out there which remain "true" to specific individuals despite of what you and I know or think. Are we wrong, or are they? Even with things such as "truth" and "honesty" there are areas which aren't completely absolute. What may be a truth to me could be just an opinion to you. For instance, if I were to say "I am a good person," there is no way that any one can say that this opinion is not a true statement to me. You and the rest of the world may and would probably disagree, but if I hold my statement as "true" and honestly believe that it is,then to me it's true. Therefore, I believe that truth is transparent, and depends on what lies beneath to "show color".

Again, this is all my interpretation of it, as I believe that certain concepts can't always be "categorized" or "color coded", and are more subjective than others believe.

That is a good point.

Let's have an exercise. In your example, saying you are a good person is a subjective opinion. If we were to first agree upon a scale, however, to measure and determine if you really are a good person, regardless of opinion, then we'd come to an objective truth..... and, no doubt, a truth that finds that you are, in fact, a good person!

That is a good point.

Let's have an exercise. In your example, saying you are a good person is a subjective opinion. If we were to first agree upon a scale, however, to measure and determine if you really are a good person, regardless of opinion, then we'd come to an objective truth..... and, no doubt, a truth that finds that you are, in fact, a good person!

I just feel that not everything can be cut and dry. What is a subjective opinion to most others (such as the statement of someone saying that he or she is a "good person") is, in fact, the truth to the person who genuinely believes that opinion of him or herself.

It would be so much easier if we had a scientific way to measure every aspect and have a control to compare to. But, this is just impossible. I liken it to this, as well:

If you have ever had to testify before a magistrate or other judicial body, you may have been required to swear that you will "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." The unfortunate fact is that you can only testify to the truth as you know it to be. This is a concept known as "basic truthfulness." You are not perjuring yourself for as long as you tell the truth in the way that you honestly and genuinely know it as. In order to be found guilty of perjury, two key conditions must be met. First is that their was a false statement. Second is that the person making it knew that the statement was false.

The whole point to that last paragraph is that "truth" is what we make of it. I do believe that ignorance does play a huge role in what the "truth" is. However, by definition, "truth" is "a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true." Therefore, I, like the U.S. court system (when operated in an ethical manner), do I believe that "truth" is based more on the culpability of a person.

I also believe that there must be an important distinction between "truth" and "fact." In my previous example, I may believe that I am a good person, and this may very well be true. However, there may be someone out there with some type of evidence that shows that I mug children of their candy on every Halloween, and always park in handicapped spots just to watch those with placards get mad. The "fact" is that this would generally make me not a very good person, but doesn't change the "truth" of my opinion of myself.

I hope that this makes sense :thumbu:

Edited by smblkc

I just feel that not everything can be cut and dry. What is a subjective opinion to most others (such as the statement of someone saying that he or she is a "good person") is, in fact, the truth to the person who genuinely believes that opinion of him or herself.

It would be so much easier if we had a scientific way to measure every aspect and have a control to compare to. But, this is just impossible. I liken it to this, as well:

If you have ever had to testify before a magistrate or other judicial body, you may have been required to swear that you will "tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." The unfortunate fact is that you can only testify to the truth as you know it to be. This is a concept known as "basic truthfulness." You are not perjuring yourself for as long as you tell the truth in the way that you honestly and genuinely know it as. In order to be found guilty of perjury, two key conditions must be met. First is that their was a false statement. Second is that the person making it knew that the statement was false.

The whole point to that last paragraph is that "truth" is what we make of it. I do believe that ignorance does play a huge role in what the "truth" is. However, by definition, "truth" is "a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true." Therefore, I, like the U.S. court system (when operated in an ethical manner), do I believe that "truth" is based more on the culpability of a person.

I also believe that there must be an important distinction between "truth" and "fact." In my previous example, I may believe that I am a good person, and this may very well be true. However, there may be someone out there with some type of evidence that shows that I mug children of their candy on every Halloween, and always park in handicapped spots just to watch those with placards get mad. The "fact" is that this would generally make me not a very good person, but doesn't change the "truth" of my opinion of myself.

I hope that this makes sense :thumbu:

OK :thumbu:

But if the truth as you see it turns out to be wrong, because of the introduction of facts, it cannot remain the truth, right? Therefore the original truth must not have been the truth, but only opinion.

:coffee:

Who knows. It's just a fun exercise.... :beach:

• Amulet locked this topic