You're How Old?

VonNoble

Here is an example. Where I work (my office) I am the boss, with 3 times the time in the service as my subordinates at 28 and have 2 brand new butter bars sitting in to "learn" what we do. They all refer to me as "the old man" or "the old Sarge" at 28. They are all under 22 and have been in less then 3 years where I am 28 and have been in 10 and "half way to retirement". Now compare that to working in civilian company, I would likely be still on the "young" side of the fence while also being on the lower end of the experiance chain.

In conjuction with being "old" I also have a wide range of experience that makes me "go to" guy for how to get things done and for "sage" advice. Even the butterbars will pull me a side and ask me for a "mentorship session" to help them grow in to thier new positions. They legally outrank me, but both already realise that I have far my years of practical experience that can not be taught in a college, even a service academy.

Now all that said, it really just illustrates that old and wise are truly subjective.

(The older I get, the older I think old is)

Surely it depends on the individual but I must say,

I was a bit of a knucklehead in my twenties

Recently, I was thinking back, considering that when I was

my daughter's age, I had a six year old, my vision of my future

was clear, but I had no idea of the twists and turns life takes,

I just hadn't experienced enough yet.

It seems like I've lived many lives since then,

when I thought I was pretty well traveled and

worldly

I had so much to experience and learn - if I only knew, maybe better I didn't!

Experience, living every day and being open to possibilities makes one wise, IMHO

mm

What defines a person as old?

And what defines a person as wise?

Is it likely a person age 20 - 25 would be widely viewed as wise?

Von

What defines a person as old? Age

And what defines a person as wise? Wisdom

Is it likely a person age 20 - 25 would be widely viewed as wise? Generally no. On rare occasions, yes.

Maybe different levels of wisdom come

at different stages of your life!

The wise are always updating and learning

We can learn from each other. I learn from

my students, grandkids, my own kids, co-

workers, people on this and other forums I'm

a life long learner, always gaining new insights

and upgrading my wisdom .

:smart:

It would depend. Would wise mean experience only or personal ideas as well? I think a 20 year old who has seen a lot of deaths would be wiser, in that context, than a 40 yr. old who hasn't experienced the pain of losing a loved one.

I agree - it all depends on the person. While, in general, most 40 year olds know more than most 20 year olds, this need not be true.

I've heard it said that you're only as old as you feel. Somedays I feel ancient, but maybe that's just stress.

As for 'wise', that's much more difficult to define. There's an adage that says that the truly wise are those that know their ignorance; I personally am for that position.

Likely not, I should think. Although, my four-year-old niece is about as wise as a person as I know.

~ Wisdom. Generally seen as experience isn't it?

Could be. Could not.

My husband's mother died when he was 8. He was left alone with his 3 younger siblings for 10 days.

His grandmother lived 5 miles away. He called her every day & she just said "Your father's coming." & hung up.

He killed their pet rabbits to feed them because no one would come & they were hungry.

His father was in another state dealing with government stuff & had to get clearance & so, a week & a half an eight-year old boy was left alone.

With a five-year old brother, and a three-year old sister and two-year old sister. To feed for ten days. With no word about their mother.

{I'm sorry, but I am so still angry at that old bitch! His grandmother left those children because of her anger? I met her. Seriously, not a nice person to anyone.

I realise that she probably had reasons to be so nasty to everyone around her always. But children begging for help & she ignored? I don't understand.}

... Yes, I babbled. Sorry if it annoys, but there's a reason...

Simply because someone experiences horrid crap as a child does not endow wisdom.

If that were true every child born into a crack house would be a font. No. All they learn is how to survive.

{Which yes, could be considered a form of wisdom, but I don't think that's what we're talking about? }

I love my husband crazy-style, forever. He's wise when it comes to me ;) But neither of us would I consider 'Wise'.

Getting older, well yeah. 49, 48, generally considered getting so.

Feel older than that quite often. {I've been manic-depressive since 9. Wears ya out.}

Wisdom? I don't know as how anyone ever feels wise. It's others that claim one so.

Age? It's what you confine youself to.

Although, my four-year-old niece is about as wise as a person as I know.

I'm not surprised...

your comment brought up this question: how frequently do you (or anyone else) think it is that a youngster is truly "wise" (or other positive qualities) UNTIL someone comes along and presses the child to doubt himself?

When a child plays and adults don't believe it the child ceases to play that way and the stupidity begins.

If a child plays cowboys and indians for example, they are remembering cowboys and Indians and then adults in our "wisdom" say it couldn't be that way, they have to believe as we tell them because we are the ones who feed them.

We are so foolish when it comes to"wisdom". And those who sit in their ivory towers and wear sweaters with leather elbows and write books for others like them to read are the worst.

And those who play with their kids and talk to them and listen to them may be the wisest of us all.

Von

(The older I get, the older I think old is)

mm

good answer

I am very, very old at 40... And I used to be very, very, wise, when I was 20 or so... Of course, I was invincible then too... :rolleyes::coffee::thumbu:

Ah yes the wise invincible years.

I feel younger now at 57 than I have ever felt, My friends are generally 1/2 my age, so I say it is relative.

Wise I cant answer, I know some young ones who have the wisdom of hundreds of years and some older

who are most defiantly un-wise. Again relative to the person.

Pegasuss

• Amulet locked this topic