Down With Societal Classification!

One of the most present things in our world today is the idea of racial or ethnic classification. On nearly every job application or online survey I have ever filled out, not to mention the tests that we take in school and the like, always ask for the best classification of your ethnic and racial background. For the majority of my life, I clicked Caucasian or White because, as the term dictates, I have a Western European family lineage.

However, as I got older (I'm only 21, by the way), I realized that labeling myself as Caucasian felt wrong - akin to that feeling when you mix orange juice and milk during breakfast (which actually used to get me sick - I grew out of it). I had found out that there is a faint possibility that one of my ancestors was actually Native American, and when I talked with my fiancee's family, I discovered that despite the Hispanic heritage that they exude in cooking and life, his ancestry actually is Puerto Rican (which is an ecclectic breed to begin with), African-American (which can mean that he's ancestrally from one of many locations in the world), and Indian (which explains why he looks Middle Eastern sometimes). This kind of thing makes it impossible to label oneself as a single certain thing.

So, I did something about three and a half years ago that I haven't stopped doing since - whenever I am asked my race on anything, I answer "Other".

Now, for anyone who asks why, here's my reason - I'm dead tired of racial classification and the overbearing existence of racism and the social divisiveness that it breeds. If anyone (though I know hiring companies cannot) asks me why I labeled myself as "Other" when I look Caucasian, I answer simply, "Because I am a member of the Human race".

I fully believe that I am a member of the human race, and hold to that with every fiber of my being. If I really traced back my heritage as far as humanly possible (that sounded like a bad pun), I would probably find that my German ancestry had come from somewhere further east, or that my Irish heritage was actually originally Scottish, but my ancestor decided to move. Or even further back, the possibility of Native American blood is proved true, but their ancestors came to North America from Asia when there was still the connecting piece of land near Alaska (I think it was referred to as the Bering Strait, but I may be wrong). There are so many possibilities as to where my ancestors originated from that I cannot stand to label myself by societal standards any longer, and so, I repeat...

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE HUMAN RACE.

While I have felt and expressed the same views on the matter, something inside me feels that even the statement "I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE HUMAN" RACE" is a statement which attempts at separating us as more important than the rest of creation.

I personally feel as we become more in tune with creation, the statement and thought "I Am" is sufficient. Yet even with this statement the "I" could be the starting point of our separation from complete and total bliss with All That Is. There is no I in God!

While I have felt and expressed the same views on the matter, something inside me feels that even the statement "I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE HUMAN" RACE" is a statement which attempts at separating us as more important than the rest of creation.

I personally feel as we become more in tune with creation, the statement and thought "I Am" is sufficient. Yet even with this statement the "I" could be the starting point of our separation from complete and total bliss with All That Is. There is no I in God!

I fully agree with you on that point, Fawzo, but I am currently incarnated as a human being. Though I am both part of and child to the Divine Creative One, and thereby connected to the rest of All That Is and Is Not, I feel pride in connection with this form I have been gifted with. As such, I feel right saying that I am a proud member of the human race.

Being part of the All and Nothing is essential, but the comprehension of that is beyond my mortal limitations, and as such, I pin my pride upon the incarnation I find myself in. I meant no separation from That Which Is and Is Not, but a personal acquiescence of this life and form.

Mystical Philosopher Sephira Midnyght

Isn’t that funny how they perpetuate race and hate? ~chuckles~, just that classification on any document effects people in ways unknown to them causing deep-rooted subliminal ideologies ~grins~.

Whenever I fill out a document I always put in “OTHER” ~snickers~ and if it has a please explain I put in NO ~chuckles~.

I also personally don’t believe in the “”-American garbage. You are either an American or not an American ~smiles~. I could careless what color you are, but I do get angry when minorities get racial preferences to colleges and stuff when someone else might have had better grades.

I have been several places in this world and thousands in this country and everyone has the chance to succeed, albeit harder in the ghetto, barrio, etc. It is still possible for any child to go to college! So having a United Negro College Fund is just wrong too me because I came from a very poor white family when I was growing up! My parents never had money to put away for my college and last I checked blacks could get grants and loans too!

Yeah with the exception of very few primitive tribes there is no genetic purity in any race ~chuckles~. We all have Mongrel, Arab, African, etc. in us ~smiles~. We are all pretty much mutts this day and age! I personally think we should all screw each other until we are one color ~snickers~.

As much as I dislike the human race I am part of it too ~chuckles~

I AM is what I use to explain myself ~smiles~. I agree with you that the classification has it's arrogance too..

I also personally don’t believe in the “”-American garbage. You are either an American or not an American ~smiles~.

Actually I feel the same way. Either you are proud of being Canadian or you are porud of being of another group. If you want to be a proud "African", "Irish", "French", etc., then go back to Africa, Ireland, or France. If you want to be a Canadian, then say that you want to be a proud Canadian. By the way, I am not trying to offend anyone iwth the examples I used, they are only meant to explain my position, not to hurt anyone.

The only problem with answering "Other" on an application form is that you might get turned down. I always feel that asking one's skin colour, age, sex (unless to determine whether or not to call you "Mister" or "Miss" if you're name could indicate either sew), etc. shoould be not be allowed even if you are not required to fill out that section. That section is a double edged sword - not filling it out may not get you the job, but filling it out may create the same outcome.

"Race is fictitious, but racism is a fact."

I forget who said that, but I agree with it.

Actually I feel the same way. Either you are proud of being Canadian or you are porud of being of another group. If you want to be a proud "African", "Irish", "French", etc., then go back to Africa, Ireland, or France.

Do you think they are mutually exclusive categories, Ed?

"Going back" is not really an option for those who are born in (for example) Canada, but are identified by others (based on their physiology or whatever) as different from the mainstream groups.

Surely by that reasoning all Canadians should "go back" to wherever their ancestors came from?

Send the First Nations back to Siberia if they don't like it...

Either you are proud of being Canadian or you are porud of being of another group.
So, just as an example, one could not be both a proud Canadian and a proud man? Or a proud Canadian and a proud parent? Or a proud Canadian and a proud homeowner?

"Race is fictitious, but racism is a fact."

"Going back" is not really an option for those who are born in (for example) Canada, but are identified by others (based on their physiology or whatever) as different from the mainstream groups.

Surely by that reasoning all Canadians should "go back" to wherever their ancestors came from?

I forget who said that, but I agree with it.

I am proud to be Polish. I am Proud to be an AB and also Proud to have a disability.

I am also for an independent nation where people like me no longer have to deal with people that dislike people with disabilities and where the Supremacists, of any stripe, are not.

I am for Sucession from America, and the end of the majorit's dominion and rule over us.

Edited by Lord Occultis

So, just as an example, one could not be both a proud Canadian and a proud man? Or a proud Canadian and a proud parent? Or a proud Canadian and a proud homeowner?

I was talking about nationality. If you want to be a proud Canadian, be a proud Canadian. If you want to be proud of being a "Martian", then go back to Mars and be a "Martian".

If you want to live in Canadian, then be a proud Canadian. It's that simple.

Same as above - if you were born in Canada, you're a Canadian, plain and simple. If you don't like that, you don't have to stay. If you immigrated here, you made the choice to be Canadian, for if you had not, you would not have come here.

I know I sound very mean - but I really feel that if you do not have pride in the country you choose to reside in, that you should not be living in that country. As such, anyone who has to be a "xx-Canadian" or "xx-American" should go back to xx. The rationale is simple, you want to be Canadian or American, then call yourself simply Canadian or American and be proud of it.

I was talking about nationality. If you want to be a proud Canadian, be a proud Canadian. If you want to be proud of being a "Martian", then go back to Mars and be a "Martian".

If you want to live in Canadian, then be a proud Canadian. It's that simple.

Same as above - if you were born in Canada, you're a Canadian, plain and simple. If you don't like that, you don't have to stay. If you immigrated here, you made the choice to be Canadian, for if you had not, you would not have come here.

I know I sound very mean - but I really feel that if you do not have pride in the country you choose to reside in, that you should not be living in that country. As such, anyone who has to be a "xx-Canadian" or "xx-American" should go back to xx. The rationale is simple, you want to be Canadian or American, then call yourself simply Canadian or American and be proud of it.

why can't i be proud of whatever i identify myself with?

i personally don't refer to myself as anything but an American, but if i did it would be my choice.

since Canada is part of America (as opposed to the United States) then arent Canadians and Mexicans American?

This is not what I had in mind when I posted this. I can understand the idea of being proud of your home country, but why can I not be a proud Irishwoman or a proud German as well as a proud American? If I tried to "go back" as some of you have said, I'd be going back dead and in pieces dependent on the amount of ancestry in each of anywhere from three to seven countries.

Additionally, I stated that I cannot stand the necessity of classification in today's world, and yet I see that same vindictiveness perpetuated in some of these posts. We are all children of the same universe, as the ULC motto goes, and we are also children of the Earth Mother, for without her, there is no us. I fail to see any sort of positive outcome from these ideas of living on the Moon or on Mars, for in abandoning the Mother, we are running away from something we no longer appreciate and respect, and in waves, that will happen to all places and planets on which we reside. We must change our outlook and our thoughts if we have any hope of not collapsing in upon ourselves and wiping out the entire race in a pit of self-denial, hatred, and disrespect.

Never has humanity fixed their problems by turning their backs upon it and running away. For the sake of our world, and those who will inherit it as our world continues to turn, please see the effects that your words and actions are having upon all of us. Break down all the barriers of country, creed and race, and see that we are all one family on this world.

Mystical Philosopher Sephira Midnyght

One of the most present things in our world today is the idea of racial or ethnic classification. On nearly every job application or online survey I have ever filled out, not to mention the tests that we take in school and the like, always ask for the best classification of your ethnic and racial background. For the majority of my life, I clicked Caucasian or White because, as the term dictates, I have a Western European family lineage.

However, as I got older (I'm only 21, by the way), I realized that labeling myself as Caucasian felt wrong - akin to that feeling when you mix orange juice and milk during breakfast (which actually used to get me sick - I grew out of it). I had found out that there is a faint possibility that one of my ancestors was actually Native American, and when I talked with my fiancee's family, I discovered that despite the Hispanic heritage that they exude in cooking and life, his ancestry actually is Puerto Rican (which is an ecclectic breed to begin with), African-American (which can mean that he's ancestrally from one of many locations in the world), and Indian (which explains why he looks Middle Eastern sometimes). This kind of thing makes it impossible to label oneself as a single certain thing.

So, I did something about three and a half years ago that I haven't stopped doing since - whenever I am asked my race on anything, I answer "Other".

Now, for anyone who asks why, here's my reason - I'm dead tired of racial classification and the overbearing existence of racism and the social divisiveness that it breeds. If anyone (though I know hiring companies cannot) asks me why I labeled myself as "Other" when I look Caucasian, I answer simply, "Because I am a member of the Human race".

I fully believe that I am a member of the human race, and hold to that with every fiber of my being. If I really traced back my heritage as far as humanly possible (that sounded like a bad pun), I would probably find that my German ancestry had come from somewhere further east, or that my Irish heritage was actually originally Scottish, but my ancestor decided to move. Or even further back, the possibility of Native American blood is proved true, but their ancestors came to North America from Asia when there was still the connecting piece of land near Alaska (I think it was referred to as the Bering Strait, but I may be wrong). There are so many possibilities as to where my ancestors originated from that I cannot stand to label myself by societal standards any longer, and so, I repeat...

I AM A PROUD MEMBER OF THE HUMAN RACE.

That is pretty good . Great idea and thought .

• Amulet locked this topic