Golden Girl Estelle Getty Dies At 84

Golden Girl Estelle Getty dies at 84

Estelle Getty, who won both Emmy and Golden Globe Awards for her portrayal of Sophia on The Golden Girls, has died. She was 84.

Getty died Tuesday in her California home surrounded by family and friends, according to a report on her website.

On The Golden Girls, she played Sophia Petrillo, the tiny sharp-tongued Sicilian mother, who more often than not had the final word.

more ...

My prayers go out to her family, firends, collegues, and fans.

Actually, I believe that Rue McClanahan was the youngest, and Estelle the second youngest. From what I read in one article, she had to try out three times for the role as they thought that she did not look enough during the first two tryouts - but for the third she asked the make-up artist make her look as old as possible. The rest, as one might say, was history.

Actually, I believe that Rue McClanahan was the youngest, and Estelle the second youngest. From what I read in one article, she had to try out three times for the role as they thought that she did not look enough during the first two tryouts - but for the third she asked the make-up artist make her look as old as possible. The rest, as one might say, was history.

You are so correct - my mistake. I knew she wasn't the oldest though.

• Amulet locked this topic