Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant, they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let not this blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

“Desiderata” (Latin for “desired things”, plural of desideratum) is an inspirational prose poem about attaining happiness in life. It was first copyrighted in 1927 by Max Ehrmann.

A spoken-word recording of the essay was made by Les Crane and reached #8 on the Billboard magazine charts in late 1971. Crane died last Sunday.

I have liked Desiderata for many years. There used to be a story that it was found in the late 1700 in a Monastery near Baltimore but I have never tried to confirm that.

I have learned that one part of Desiderata is in error, this one: And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. It is wrong because we unfold the universe it is not being unfolded for us. We are cause not effect. For us to be the effect of anything we must choose to be the effect and the willing recipient of it.

I would, now, also change the first sentence from Go Placidly to something more like Go as you will while harming none. But that doesn't make good poetry.

Very nice Samadhi. I feel it is perfect as is!

I have liked Desiderata for many years. There used to be a story that it was found in the late 1700 in a Monastery near Baltimore but I have never tried to confirm that.

I have learned that one part of Desiderata is in error, this one: And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. It is wrong because we unfold the universe it is not being unfolded for us. We are cause not effect. For us to be the effect of anything we must choose to be the effect and the willing recipient of it.

I would, now, also change the first sentence from Go Placidly to something more like Go as you will while harming none. But that doesn't make good poetry.

How it is possible to harm none when every step you take does harm. If you are being well fed and enjoying the luxuries that life in the US has to give, doesn't that mean there are those who are going hungry and suffering elsewhere in the world to help sustain the higher level of living we have here?

Edited by Fawzo

yes it is possible,and quite probable.but what do you as an individual wish to do about it?

if you subscribe to the pure land buddhist school of thought,there is no way to step anywhere without harming anything.that's why the only possesion they were allowed to own was a small broom.what that has to do with anything i do not comprehend.

Very nice Samadhi. I feel it is perfect as is!

How it is possible to harm none when every step you take does harm. If you are being well fed and enjoying the luxuries that life in the US has to give, doesn't that mean there are those who are going hungry and suffering elsewhere in the world to help sustain the higher level of living we have here?

No, it doesn't mean that at all. Where have you been getting the kool-aide? They can have an even better standard of living than we enjoy. All they have to do is overthrow their non-representative governments and establish the personal liberty that we were founded with.

Do you notice the despots in this country still haven't gotten past the freedom thing? They have to go step by step to add an income tax here, elect the senators there, educate the youth into the big government silliness, control communications, put chemicals in the water supply, universal health care, federal gun control, minimum wages, Federal reserve, child work laws, war on drugs and so forth. We have no dictator, even though there are many who would like to do that, that can simply order these things to be done. That is the major difference between us and most of the rest of the world. On January 20, 2009 we will change Presidents, peacefully, in many countries, there will be an armed conflict when changing "leaders". Would you like some examples?

My fight is not to gain freedom but to reclaim it from where it is being lost because of these despots so that we do not become like the third world countries. But that is just the way I am. I believe in personal freedom and Liberty to do as one wishes so long as he does not harm others.

• Amulet locked this topic