The Distant Past

mererdog

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

1st coherent memory - 1977

Six years old, hanging from a tree. My mom leans out the door to tell me to come in and get cleaned up, because we're going to the movies. I tell her in no uncertain terms that I'm perfectly happy hanging out in a tree all evening (probably not quite as eloquently as how you just read that), but she was firm in her desire to ruin my good time. I pouted all the way to the movie theater, up until the movie started.

BOOM goes the chord right after reading on the screen "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...", and it immediately has my full attention. From what I understand, I was leaning forward with my mouth open the entire time. I was completely quiet, even after the movie was over. When I finally found my voice again, I appearently wouldn't shut up about it. Probably still don't. :cool:

two or three. i remember lying on my back in a pew during mass and looking up. it was a dark church with lots of shadowy depths up at the ceiling and only a few stained glass window slivers in the walls. heh, in those days they would use an overhead projector and flimsies to put hymn lyrics up on the wall. maybe it was too dark to read a hymnal..

Its hard to put memories from that age in chronological order but I do remember the vacation we took to arizona when I was 3. From the plane ride (and calling my aunt from the phone on the plane) to the cabin we stayed in and watching superman 2 on cable there (big deal at the time). I remember going and seeing all the dinosaur footprints and the flintstone village of bedrock (very cool). I even remember the brother and sister my sister and I hung out with where we stayed. The bus tour too. I have other memories that could have been at 2 but they are fuzzy and I can't be sure. Fortunately I have been blessed with a very good memory. Although sometimes it just serves to make me realize how much I must have forgotten.

I was 2, I remember a dinosaur toy set I got for Christmas and remember that Christmas as well my dog. I also have fond memories of playing with my grandfathers CB sets and not being able to walk yet, so my memories could go back a little further but I will stick with 2.

I must have been under two as my dad was a single dad from the time I was 4 months up until I was 2. I can remember standing up in my crib (at the end of his bed) at night when he came home late from night school. Sadly I remember his anger. I know at the time I probably didn't understand why the anger and now only figure that it was because I was up and he wanted to sleep.

two or three. i remember lying on my back in a pew during mass and looking up. it was a dark church with lots of shadowy depths up at the ceiling and only a few stained glass window slivers in the walls. heh, in those days they would use an overhead projector and flimsies to put hymn lyrics up on the wall. maybe it was too dark to read a hymnal..

I have this exact early memory as well! Not as coherant as my Star Wars memory, but it's pressed in my head nonetheless.

• 5 months later...

3...I remember taking a vacation with my parents to visit my aunt who lived in Miami Beach. I remember using water wings in the hotel pool and visiting my aunt's house. She had two or three white poodles...Strange, I do not remember anything about my aunt and uncle though...

• Amulet locked this topic