The New Generation And The Store Keeper

Guest pathmender

Guest pathmender

The new generation and the store keeper.

There once was a man who was known to own best and most flawless pearls. He had so many requests to see his pearls, he decided to open a shop of his own. People came from all around to buy his exquisite treasures. This continued till one day, the store keeper had none left to sell saving the last few for himself. As time wore on, the people who had obtained the store keepers pearls began to age, and the children they had bore, had become adults themselves.

In hearing of the pearls their parents and grandparents owned, these new adults desired pearls of their own. But no other pearls could be found from the store keeper. One of these new adults would not give up and continued his search in spite of being told by everyone that his search was in vain.

After a certain time, the young man began to feel the hopelessness of his mission and began to lament. While aimlessly strolling along the near by shore, he fell to his knees and began to pray to God.

" Why dear Lord, have you caused me to be born too late? All the pearls have been given out long before I could ask for one too"? And he hung his head and began to weep.

A splashing sound was heard in the water before him and he looked up to witness a small boy coming up from the water and walking onto the sand in front of him. The man managed the most pleasant greeting he could and the boy replied like wise.

He noticed a small net bag the boy had tied around his waist, and asked the boy what he had been doing in the water. The boy beamed with delight as he opened his little hand and exuberantly displayed a large oyster. The shell of the oyster opened and the most beautiful and perfect pearl was revealed, gleaming in the sunlight.

The young man was overjoyed at the boys luck and asked if he could have the pearl. To the man's surprise, the boy handed him the pearl without hesitation and smiled.

The man asked the boy, "Why did you give me this wonderful treasure, do you not know its value"?

The boy answered, "I know the value, but there are so many there in the water, and so many yet to be. You seemed so happy to receive this one; I will go get more as I know where to look. You do too, and if there are others, tell them so they may have some as well.

May God bless you and keep you strong in his service.

Rev. Campbell.

Edited by pathmender

Hi Rev. Campbell,

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

And so, a follow-up twist on the end of the story:

In one of Chuang Tzu's stories he suggests that the pearls should be left in the waters and the jade should be left in the mountains. This is because when we start placing value on objects then everyone will desire to have some. Those who cannot buy them will steal them. Those without will lament that they have none. All this brings discontent to man's soul. It would be better to let them remain where they are and know that they will always be there whenever anyone wished to view them.

Peace & Love!

Guest pathmender

Thank you for your comments JimBob! And thank you for the information on Chuang Tzu. In this case though I don't think Chuang Tzu would have been refering to the same kind of pearls as the ones in the story I presented. :)

I could be wrong though as I am not familiar with Chuang Tzu.

God's blessings,

Rev. Campbell.