Open Question About Pets

mererdog

• 5 weeks later...

Hmmm. Our pets are usually mentioned when asked about our family. We do not have children.

As an aside, I can't believe how some people reacted when we had to send one of our four-legged friends to Rainbow Bridge. Many were kind, understanding and supportive.

Others, well, I guess never owned a dog and shared most of each day with one for 12 years.

I'll only mention them if it's friendly conversation or the need-to-know is there (such as possible allergies to cats). Otherwise, rarely.

I love the little buggers for their companionship and entertainment value, but I'm not comfortable putting them on the same level as me and my wife. Despite what they think! :cool:

• 4 months later...
When people ask who you live with, do you usually put your pets on the list?

My wife and I do not have 'pets.' We each have a Mexican Hairless/Chihuahua mix Hearing Assist Dog. I am much more hard of hearing than my wife, having only about 25% of hearing in the left ear. A cold destroyed the nerves in the right ear when I was a baby, and as a police officer/security officer, I wanted my training to be as realistic as possible (dumb move, I admit) so thousands of rounds of heavy gunfire took their toll with no protection. We both always count her Bearbear and my Munchkin as part of our family. Bear recently had to have his right front leg amputated as the result of him jumping out of our truck the day before Thanksgiving and breaking his leg in four places. The vet wanted to do a skin graft, which would have meant four or five more operations, but his foot was not doing anything, just hanging there. We decided the pain and suffering had to stop. He has adjusted very well and gets around like he had had three legs all his life.

Rev. Allen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In many ways can a pet be part of your family. Remember that in most cases you don't pick your kids but you DO pick your pets.

Vicky and I always tell people proudly of our 11 year old Wolf and our Fleatard of a Rottie, Magra.

They are the only kids we have.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, I list them as dependents on my income tax return. And I had them get their ULC ordination. We have more clergy here than a monastery.

Are pet ordinations still allowed? I thought they stopped that?

Can I get one of my rocks ordained, so then I can stand over my altar and state "upon this rock I buld my church"

Are pet ordinations still allowed? I thought they stopped that?

Can I get one of my rocks ordained, so then I can stand over my altar and state "upon this rock I buld my church"

Of course. Haven't you ever heard of a pet rock? If you can get a pet ordained, you can get a rock ordained.

I suppose you will have to give your rock a name. How about, "Peter" ?

• 6 months later...

Absolutely! Our three "furry kids" are better behaved than our people kids. Kay and I have had "pets", or rather they've had us, since childhood. I couldn't even count how many over the years, but "always" fits. I only remember a very short period of when I didn't have something furry in the house...(beside the dust balls under the couch and tables!) My 1yr pic is with a cat "Jiggers", my 2 yr pic is with our dog "Dino", 3 year pic is...well you get the idea. My Sister tells me that having one of the pets with me was the only way they could get a picture with a smile until about age 10!

• Amulet locked this topic