Everything I Need To Know About Life

Phillipe

Argonius' poll and song listing from Queen's A Kind of Magic album got me to thinking about how much I truly enjoyed the Highlander TV series. I was never much for the movies, with the exception of Sean Connery's turn as Juan Sanchez Villa-Lobos Ramirez - somehow they disturbed my "timeline" of the Highlander universe, and Christopher Lambert is no Adrian Paul. :P

But then it struck me: Duncan was supposedly this guy who had centuries to study martial arts, specifically the sword.

I've only had about 38 years worth of practice.

He lived in a loft and taught downstairs; I lived in a loft and taught downstairs.

He drove weird cars; I drove weird cars. :lol:

Later in the series, he lived on a houseboat in Paris; I lived on a houseboat, too - unfortunately, NOT in Paris.

He always got the hot chicks, even though most of them died; I got the hot chicks, but I died every time they left me. :shy:

He had the ponytail, the boots, the long duster; yep, had 'em since well before the series.

He was my long-lost brother! :fear:

But it was the little morality plays that were played out in each episode that hooked me. Friendship, trust, love, respect, revenge, the futility of war and the eternal quest for peace...each was a riveting life-lesson. Each showed the pain and sacrifices needed to carry yourself as a scholar-warrior in this life (and in Duncan's case, many lives), as well as the necessity to enjoy yourself even when facing imminent death (witness his countless drunken bouts and wench-chasing).

That was one character who knew his Tao and followed it!

Darn - now I have to go out and get that whole-series DVD set...

Edited by Phillipe

Connor can kick Duncan's butt any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Psh.

He couldn't even be water-boy for a Watcher.

Wimp goes around trying to look all mysterious, mumbling under his breath - what, is that his idea of Method acting?

And his sword-work bites.

PS: I really like the PHP in your sig :thumbu:

Argonius' poll and song listing from Queen's A Kind of Magic album got me to thinking about how much I truly enjoyed the Highlander TV series.
Ew. Did you like Renegade, too? :umph:
I was never much for the movies,
Movies? There was only one, because there can be only one. Highlander needed sequels and a tv show the way Romeo and Juliet needs sequels and a tv show. :angry:

Ew. Did you like Renegade, too? :umph:

No, never got into that.

Movies? There was only one, because there can be only one.

Yes, movies. The first was best, the rest, eh...

Highlander needed sequels and a tv show the way Romeo and Juliet needs sequels and a tv show. :angry:

Oh, you mean like West Side Story? The countless ballets and symphonies that arose from it? The Odd Couple? :kiss:

Imitation is the sincerest form, etc., etc...

Oh, you mean like West Side Story? The countless ballets and symphonies that arose from it?
A remake is fundamentally different than a sequal. I wouldn't mind a remake. The problem is that in order to do the sequels and the serialization, they had to change the plot around, making the central themes in the movie meaningless. Oh, look. Romeo didn't really die, and Juliette's ghost lives in his shoes, so they get to be together a while longer. It's not a tragedy about star-crossed lovers, it's a detective story about a tights-wearing sleuth and his spectral side-kick! Hooray!

A remake is fundamentally different than a sequal. I wouldn't mind a remake. The problem is that in order to do the sequels and the serialization, they had to change the plot around, making the central themes in the movie meaningless. Oh, look. Romeo didn't really die, and Juliette's ghost lives in his shoes, so they get to be together a while longer. It's not a tragedy about star-crossed lovers, it's a detective story about a tights-wearing sleuth and his spectral side-kick! Hooray!

Understood.

..."tights-wearing sleuth and his spectral side-kick! Hooray!" :lol::thumbu:

Edited by Phillipe