Ever See The Movie Contact?

Ian Green

At one point in the movie a bad guy suggests that the alien message received were blueprints for building a machine which would blow up and destroy whoever was naive enough to build one. What if that were true? What if the received alien message was a cosmic crank call by some adolescent alien? So be careful. You never know what kids will do nowadays.

- I

At one point in the movie a bad guy suggests that the alien message received were blueprints for building a machine which would blow up and destroy whoever was naive enough to build one. What if that were true? What if the received alien message was a cosmic crank call by some adolescent alien? So be careful. You never know what kids will do nowadays.

- I

The part of the movie that got to me was all the religious nuts. Why would finding life off earth be so anti-God, anti-religion ?

Are we so.....well I can't find the right word here......that we would believe that God would only make one earth, one believing life form, one universe for only us ?

By now he would be bored watching what we are doing and he would go creat more liveable planets and more life forms.

Why in the movie did the religious nuts automaticly think any contact from off earth would have to be from God ?

I've watched the movie many many times and just can not understand all the religious wacko's and their way of thinking !

Peace.....

Friar Timothy...Agnostic

• 3 weeks later...
The part of the movie that got to me was all the religious nuts. Why would finding life off earth be so anti-God, anti-religion ?

Are we so.....well I can't find the right word here......that we would believe that God would only make one earth, one believing life form, one universe for only us ?

By now he would be bored watching what we are doing and he would go creat more liveable planets and more life forms.

Why in the movie did the religious nuts automaticly think any contact from off earth would have to be from God ?

I've watched the movie many many times and just can not understand all the religious wacko's and their way of thinking !

Peace.....

Friar Timothy...Agnostic

Different religions of Earth would react differently to a real ET.

A Buddhist monk could talk to anybody -- Human or ET -- about the nature of suffering and the need for enlightenment.

A Wiccan could talk to anybody about being in harmony with nature.

What could a Christian say to an ET? You must be saved by the Blood of the Lamb? That would fly like a lead balloon.

Jonathan Lobl

:coffee::coffee::coffee::smart::smart:

What would I say to an ET if they came by? "Got a sister?" :ph34r:

- I

Got a copy of those plans? I've been itching to build me a new project.... :kimmy:

What could a Christian say to an ET? You must be saved by the Blood of the Lamb? That would fly like a lead balloon.
How do you know the aliens won't come bearing Watchtowers? If Christianity is what it says it is, it would make perfect sense for there to be Christian aliens out there somewhere.... Another Another Testament of Jesus Christ?

How do you know the aliens won't come bearing Watchtowers? If Christianity is what it says it is, it would make perfect sense for there to be Christian aliens out there somewhere.... Another Another Testament of Jesus Christ?

The historic structure of Christianity makes it impossible for an ET to be Christian. The basic theology is that the "Old Man" (Adam) fell from grace. The "New Man" (Jesus) restored us to grace.

Unless the ET is descended from Adam and Eve -- not possible -- he does not participate in original sin. It follows that ET does not need to be saved by the sacrifice of Jesus. The entire structure of the theology is nullified.

Jonathan Lobl

:coffee::coffee::coffee:

The historic structure of Christianity makes it impossible for an ET to be Christian. The basic theology is that the "Old Man" (Adam) fell from grace. The "New Man" (Jesus) restored us to grace.

Unless the ET is descended from Adam and Eve -- not possible -- he does not participate in original sin. It follows that ET does not need to be saved by the sacrifice of Jesus. The entire structure of the theology is nullified.

Jonathan Lobl

According to Mormons, Jesus did come to America to convert natives, so why not Rigel 7.2-5?

According to Mormons, Jesus did come to America to convert natives, so why not Rigel 7.2-5?

If we take the Garden of Eden as literal history; it follows that the people of North America -- being Human -- are born to Original Sin as the descendents of Adam and Eve.

Are you suggesting that the people of Rigel 5 are desceded from the same Adam and Eve? If they are geneticly Homo Sapien; a case might be made for this. If the people of Rigel 5 have no genetic relationship to Homo Sapiens -- then no. They could not be descended from Adam and Eve.

I am working with the assumption that the people of another world woud belong to a different species. If they are of the same species, my train of logic would be derailed.

Of course, the people of a different species and world could have a completely independent Fall from Grace. In that case they would have an independent plan for salvation. That plan for salvation would have as much application to Earth as being saved by Jesus would have to Rigel 5.

Jonathan Lobl

Why is it not possible? Once there are omnipotent deities involved, there isn't a lot of room for "not possible".

This is true. Once we take Adam and Eve as literal history -- it is true that God could put their descendants on other planets, there-by spreading Original Sin throughout the Cosmos.

An omnipotent God could even change the DNA of these people; to make them native to the various worlds -- while keeping their Original Sin intact. The theology would be consistent.

Is that what you meant? :rolleyes:

Jonathan Lobl

If we take the Garden of Eden as literal history; it follows that the people of North America -- being Human -- are born to Original Sin as the descendents of Adam and Eve.

Are you suggesting that the people of Rigel 5 are desceded from the same Adam and Eve? If they are geneticly Homo Sapien; a case might be made for this. If the people of Rigel 5 have no genetic relationship to Homo Sapiens -- then no. They could not be descended from Adam and Eve.

I am working with the assumption that the people of another world woud belong to a different species. If they are of the same species, my train of logic would be derailed.

Of course, the people of a different species and world could have a completely independent Fall from Grace. In that case they would have an independent plan for salvation. That plan for salvation would have as much application to Earth as being saved by Jesus would have to Rigel 5.

Jonathan Lobl

Might it not be that Adam and Eve were on another planet when they fell?

Might it not be that Adam and Eve were on another planet when they fell?

If we take the events as mythology, they didn't actually happen anyplace. If we take the Garden of Eden as literal history -- well, why not. There is nothing in the Bible, that I know of, which actually states that these events took place on Earth. I will have to go back and read those chapters again.

Jonathan Lobl

:mellow::mellow::mellow:

- I

Be careful, Ian Green....with only one other post, you posted this question and did not stay around to reply to the replies.... :llol: Just kidding, Preacher Bob, just kidding!! :coffee:

I loved the movie Contact. I dream of the day, more like a fantasy really, when we are contacted by extraterrestrial life or machine. I have a handful of topics I like to think about when trying to fall asleep...and this is one of them. :smoke:

In that case they would have an independent plan for salvation.
I seem to remember Jesus being quoted as saying that ALL who believe in him can have eternal life. Why couldn't separate falls use the same salvation? Edited by Not murphzlaw1

Is that what you meant?
Sort of. More to the point, if an omnipotent God is involved, there would be possibilities that we can't even conceive of. All the rules can be changed, you know? Edited by Not murphzlaw1

Sort of. More to the point, if an omnipotent God is involved, there would be possibilities that we can't even conceive of. All the rules can be changed, you know?

Yes, now I follow your line of reasoning. God as the ultimate trickster.

The world was created old. If Adam had cut down a thick tree, it could have rings showing it was hundreds of years old. If Adam had dug into the ground, he might have found "ancient" fosils and bones. God has indeed been clever in deceiving His creatures.

This line of thought does not fill me with piety.

Jonathan Lobl

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Well, seeing the aliens that have officially yet unofficially came to us, the Zeta's and the Grey's, don't come from Rigel 5 or Rigel 12, Rigel is out of the equation. The Zeta's are from Zeta Epsilon and the Grey's are from Alpha Centauri. :smart:

I just wanna find out if those alien chicks can make love better than human chicks. :coffee:

:kimmy:

Well, seeing the aliens that have officially yet unofficially came to us, the Zeta's and the Grey's, don't come from Rigel 5 or Rigel 12, Rigel is out of the equation. The Zeta's are from Zeta Epsilon and the Grey's are from Alpha Centauri. :smart:

I just wanna find out if those alien chicks can make love better than human chicks. :coffee:

:kimmy:

I want to find out about the alien's religion; or even if they have religion at all.

Jonathan Lobl

:beach::beach::beach: