What Is Mankind's Greatest Achievement?

Fedora

If this post/thread does not epitomize the emotional and progressive leaning of this website/forum/"church" then I don't know what does.....

My goodness people.....have you read the posts here??

And why is this so important? A question was asked and these are the answers. I don't necessarily agree with them but why should it be important that I don't?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And why is this so important? A question was asked and these are the answers. I don't necessarily agree with them but why should it be important that I don't?

It isn't important that you don't.

It isn't important that I don't.

You may hesitate in "not necessarily disagreeing with them," but I don't. Not in the least.

I take this, and most all threads on this forum, in case it was not obvious, as being serious. There is a reason for that, which the astute here could easily glean.

In this thread, I'm more interested in "Mankind's Greatest Achievement".......and I will post accordingly. If others want to discuss bubble gum or lipstick, let them....but why should I ignore that fact? Am I held to a different standard? Hell, I prefer to raise the standard....

I'm not afraid. And I am very sorry if that offends the more politically correct sensibilities of the masses. No offense meant, only truth seeking.

:Peace: and :wub:,

:mike:

"Mankind's Greatest Achievement"?

​Maybe the evolution of the mind=free thinking,individualism (not thinking in a box)

Ordinarily I'd agree. Except that those who think outside the box are often viewed with disdain. On one hand it's encouraged, but as soon as it appears, it's suddenly "wrong" and "misguided" and "liberal."

I would agree with you ONLY when it actually becomes an achievement, IE: when the world finally gets off its duff and admits that free thinking and individualism is the best way to go. (IMHO, btw, I believe it IS the best way to go.)

"Mankind's Greatest Achievement"?

​Maybe the evolution of the mind=free thinking,individualism (not thinking in a box)

Evolution isn't man's achievement.

A free society, on the other hand, in antithesis to the vast majority of human history, most certainly is....

Ordinarily I'd agree. Except that those who think outside the box are often viewed with disdain. On one hand it's encouraged, but as soon as it appears, it's suddenly "wrong" and "misguided" and "liberal."

I would agree with you ONLY when it actually becomes an achievement, IE: when the world finally gets off its duff and admits that free thinking and individualism is the best way to go. (IMHO, btw, I believe it IS the best way to go.)

So, you equate "free thinking and individualism" as a "liberal" notion? Man, I cannot wait to debate that with you. Perhaps another time, in another thread....... Chomping at the bit....

That actually brings us to the Universal Life Church. :D

I have found that all roads, and none at all, lead to the ULC....a defined place with little to nothing philosophically concrete in place.....other than the TOS, of course, lol.

So, you equate "free thinking and individualism" as a "liberal" notion? Man, I cannot wait to debate that with you. Perhaps another time, in another thread....... Chomping at the bit....

Youch, reread my post. I said that, I quote, "Except that those who think outside the box are often viewed with disdain. On one hand it's encouraged, but as soon as it appears, it's suddenly "wrong" and "misguided" and "liberal."

Where in this do I say that I am one who thinks this way? The whole post reads "

In other words, None of what I said in this post indicates that I personally believe it to be "Liberal". So what would we have to debate? If you tell me that free thinking and individualism is the way we should be, I would agree, and cite my own post as an example as to WHY I agree that it is the way to go.

I just don't believe it is our greatest achievement due to the fact that the MAJORITY OF THE WORLD STILL VIEWS IT AS WRONG AND MISGUIDED AND LIBERAL. When we can finally admit as a society that it is the best way to go, then it WILL be our greatest achievement.

Youch, reread my post. I said that, I quote, "Except that those who think outside the box are often viewed with disdain. On one hand it's encouraged, but as soon as it appears, it's suddenly "wrong" and "misguided" and "liberal."

Where in this do I say that I am one who thinks this way? The whole post reads "

In other words, None of what I said in this post indicates that I personally believe it to be "Liberal". So what would we have to debate? If you tell me that free thinking and individualism is the way we should be, I would agree, and cite my own post as an example as to WHY I agree that it is the way to go.

I just don't believe it is our greatest achievement due to the fact that the MAJORITY OF THE WORLD STILL VIEWS IT AS WRONG AND MISGUIDED AND LIBERAL. When we can finally admit as a society that it is the best way to go, then it WILL be our greatest achievement.

I still interpret your post as saying that free-thinking and individualism, statements you were responding to, are encouraged but wrong, misguided and liberal. Perhaps your quotation marks, which I omitted here, were more significant than I gave them credit for. Heck, I have no idea what your viewpoint is.

"

Conventionally speaking," free-thinking is a term oft used by humanists and other liberals. Conventionally speaking, "individualism" isa term used by conservatives. Above, they were used in the same sentence, not by you, either out of ignorance or taking the terms out of normal convention. Either way, I have no idea what you think....as such, I don't want to debate. I apologize.

I'll make it simple, youch.

My viewpoint is that free thinking and individualism are good things. However, our government, religious institutions, and other controlling factors don't seem to agree with that sentiment. THEY encourage it on one hand then turn right around and degrade people for actually doing it. It's hypocritical and wrong.

Does that make sense to you now?

I'll make it simple, youch.

My viewpoint is that free thinking and individualism are good things. However, our government, religious institutions, and other controlling factors don't seem to agree with that sentiment. THEY encourage it on one hand then turn right around and degrade people for actually doing it. It's hypocritical and wrong.

Does that make sense to you now?

Yessir.

I think one would have to affirm a benchmark, a starting point, a standard, to know from what and from where we've achieved anything. My benchmark is the era of animalistic, uncivilized, perhaps nomadic, subsistence-living, serfdom, hunting and gathering, ruled by fiefdoms and tyrants, oppression and slavery, etc..., all more primitive states of being in our historical past. Human HISTORY is rife with tyranny and misery. Today, the modern and free people have very little to do with all those primitive states of being. Why is the advancement of (many) humans away from all that not our greatest achievement?

For all you spiritual people out there, isn't liberation a key and fundamental element to a happy spirit and soul?

Freedom is a unique thing. Take not, it lightly.

Not so much Freedom, but the Free Market. After all many living things are free, have agriculture and husbandry, make and use tools, But only humans have a Free Market and the division of labor it entails. Without it no other innovations would be possible.

• 4 months later...
  • Amulet locked this topic