What Is Mankind's Greatest Achievement?

Fedora

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago there was a contest on CNN or some other station as to what man`s greatest achievement was--# l spot was taken by the `Printing press`-though today I would say the computers/internet, but this could not have come about without the infant`printing`-- but the what about the wheel, fire? I suppose it keeps evolving. When I think of things like this--, it makes me wonder how very little we really know about anything within creation--so the greatest achievement of man has to be recognition of spirit/of soul--self awareness and the connection to something bigger than ourselves

peace,

Suzanne

Edited by Quetzal

That one Thursday afternoon way back when, when for a single moment the whole world was at Peace!

Now, now, Atwater Vitki, we are speaking of real events, not hopeful fantasies.

From my point of view, the greatest event in history was my birth. Without it, nothing else would have mattered to me.

Edited by Brother Kaman

~ Quite right Brother Kaman...

:D

You all know that's within ya all too! ;)

Whatever we or others achieve in our lifetimes is wonderful & fantastic, because it's in the time we're living.

This is the time of miraculous & glorious doings :D

• 10 months later...

I would have to say mathmatics is mankinds greatest achievement. Math is necessary for so many things. Mathematics is used throughout the world as an essential tool in many fields, including natural science, engineering, medicine, finance and the social sciences. The modern technological world could not exist without it. †?†

Everything we've ever made we copied from what we found around us. Monkey see, monkey do. That's just the nature of Life. The universe has been assembling and recombining larger bits from smaller bits for billions of years, so I'd say (paradoxically, of course) that our greatest achievement is convincing ourselves that we've accomplished anything at all. We are but pale shadows cast by the fires of creation, mere clay in the hands of the gods.

"Today self-consciousness no longer means anything but reflection on the ego as embarrassment, as realization of impotence: knowing that one is nothing." ~ Theodor Adorno

Ha! You caught me. Being a philosophical Taoist, that is the only position from which I can honestly (in my mind) speak. Nanoseconds, years, millnnia. What's time to the eternal?

"Extinct, or merely dead?"

Now that's an interesting question.

Is it possible for a life form, or even a thing, to begin the process of extinction before the individuals themselves actually die? I think so. Can't explain myself right now but we can talk about it if anyone is interested.

Peace & Love!

That leaves two questions.

1. What is time? Really, from a question of physics -- What is time?

2. What do we mean by the eternal -- or God? There is an old saying: God remembers the future. Maybe extinction can precede death of individuals.

:detective2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

What is mankind's greatest achievement?

Thanks for posting!

OBVIOUSLY, it is the societal ratification of the natural law of freedom. If not that, nothing else could, would or can exist save for the brutality of the "non-peaceful" world of the natural world.

The use of the female Hemp Plant for a myriad of uses.

Clothes, Ceramics that are 100 times lighter then steel and 1000 times stronger, rope, fuel, medicines that actually work and don't give you thousands of side effects, and of course a calm that can be used to bring peace in our turbulent times.

Did you know that Colorado's crime rate has actually dropped since legalizing pot for recreational use? It's true.

The use of the female Hemp Plant for a myriad of uses.

Clothes, Ceramics that are 100 times lighter then steel and 1000 times stronger, rope, fuel, medicines that actually work and don't give you thousands of side effects, and of course a calm that can be used to bring peace in our turbulent times.

Did you know that Colorado's crime rate has actually dropped since legalizing pot for recreational use? It's true.

I cannot possibly believe this to be mankind's greatest achievement. The male hemp plant is gender primarily used for fibers for rope, clothing, etc. Colorado's crime rate cannot yet be determined to have fallen in this short of time span. Give it a year or two, then make a determination. Also, is the crime rate over all, or drug related. Is it crime against property, violent crime? Lots of things going on here.

• Amulet locked this topic