What Is Mankind's Greatest Achievement?

Fedora

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not fair. Everything evolves! Everything that exists is a product of evolution.

Protons? Electrons? Neutrons? They exist, right? (or so I'm told - I've never knowingly bumped into one).

What would you SAY to an electron if you bumped into it? What kind of spin could you put on it? Would it take things to a whole new level? Would you come out of your shell? :rolleyes:

Protons? Electrons? Neutrons? They exist, right? (or so I'm told - I've never knowingly bumped into one).

What would you SAY to an electron if you bumped into it? What kind of spin could you put on it? Would it take things to a whole new level? Would you come out of your shell? :rolleyes:

Hate to rain on your parade, but Quantum Mechanics.

Nothing ever truly touches. Electrons repel each other before they can touch.

Edited by Kamina

Hate to rain on your parade, but Quantum Mechanics.

Nothing ever truly touches. Electrons repel each other before they can touch.

Yea!!! I got a little help from a friend.

Yes, even electrons, protons, neutrons evolved out the the nothingness before the beginning.

Interesting questions in your second paragraph. I think that we all effect all else in some manner and form. So, were I an electron and I came too close to another electron I would repel it and it would repel me, sending us both off in a new direction. Gotta refresh my memory on all the physics stuff. What do neutrinos do? I guess they do what neutrinos do. Hehehe.

We grow and evolve or we become extinct. Man didn't create that though. Some supreme power maybe.

Peace & Love!

Edited by JimBob

Yes, even electrons, protons, neutrons evolved out the the nothingness before the beginning.

Interesting questions in your second paragraph. I think that we all effect all else in some manner and form. So, were I an electron and I came too close to another electron I would repel it and it would repel me, sending us both off in a new direction. Gotta refresh my memory on all the physics stuff. What do neutrinos do? I guess they do what neutrinos do. Hehehe.

We grow and evolve or we become extinct. Man didn't create that though. Some supreme power maybe.

Peace & Love!

How do electrons mate then?

Figures it would be a New Yawka... see how they yelled? :lol:

That isn't evolving - that's appearing. Totally different beast. Unless of course you're referring to the taoist theory of Nothingness becoming One becoming Two becoming Three becoming The Ten Thousand Things...in which case, we're still talking only nanoseconds - hardly what I could call evolution.

I guess they do what neutrinos do. Hehehe.

That's Strange... :D

We grow and evolve or we become extinct.

Extinct, or merely dead?

Man didn't create that though. Some supreme power maybe.

Agreed. Maybe it was Ceiling Cat...

funny-pictures-ceiling-cat-creates-.jpg

Peace & Love!

War and Peace!

well, the momma electron and the poppa electron meet, and they fall in love.

they spend several weeks trying to hide from momma electron's poppa, cuz he don't like poppa electron none, and carries a shotgun.

oh, wait..n/m

I love a good romance...especially when it involves a Theory of Unity.

Did they end up breaking up and giving each other just a Plane Wave?

That isn't evolving - that's appearing. Totally different beast. Unless of course you're referring to the taoist theory of Nothingness becoming One becoming Two becoming Three becoming The Ten Thousand Things...in which case, we're still talking only nanoseconds - hardly what I could call evolution.

Ha! You caught me. Being a philosophical Taoist, that is the only position from which I can honestly (in my mind) speak. Nanoseconds, years, millnnia. What's time to the eternal?

"Extinct, or merely dead?"

Now that's an interesting question.

Is it possible for a life form, or even a thing, to begin the process of extinction before the individuals themselves actually die? I think so. Can't explain myself right now but we can talk about it if anyone is interested.

Peace & Love!

Is it possible for a life form, or even a thing, to begin the process of extinction before the individuals themselves actually die? I think so. Can't explain myself right now but we can talk about it if anyone is interested.

Peace & Love!

I guess (and here I'll probably alienate a few folks) if you don't reproduce before you die, technically you're contributing to the extinction of the breed.

But with the world population numbers increasing as they are, it isn't a major concern of mine. :coffee:

• 4 years later...

Although it's implied, I think you need to add "so far" to the question - I hope and expect we'll do even more weird and wonderful things in the future.

I have 2 candidate answers, one obscure, one more widely known.

a) Proving the undecidability of the continuum hypothesis.

b) The scientific method.

What is mankind's greatest achievement?

Freedom..... Which is ironic, given that we've spent most of our modern history evolving away from nature. So while we are less free than the animals in the natural world (the rest of the animal kingdom), we still have our fabricated stucture of freedom sustained by social contracts such as the U.S. Constitution. What could man have possibly created that could be more liberating (and thus creative, driven, productive, etc) than a {mostly} free society?? Everything else great can have its roots traced to the freedoms contrived by {some of} mankind.

• Amulet locked this topic