Creating A Religion

how do you tell the difference between cult and religion? i just want to clarify :seesaw:

IMO a religion is a way of life and belief system that fits you, and you think by spreading or talking about the message you have can positively influence the people, community, possibly the world. A cult is a system you create to manipulate others for your benefit. Cults apply also to those mentally unstable individuals who prey on the weak minded and spiritually starving.

Easy. Your belief is a cult, mine is a religion. Unless, of course, we would agree. Then both are a religion. :D

thank you very much, this makes me laugh, damn its so true. :jest:

IMO a religion is a way of life and belief system that fits you, and you think by spreading or talking about the message you have can positively influence the people, community, possibly the world. A cult is a system you create to manipulate others for your benefit. Cults apply also to those mentally unstable individuals who prey on the weak minded and spiritually starving.

and thank you very much because it helped me to understand a bit more about the role of a religion and the role of a cult. :smart:

peace and compassion

hello there people, i was just wondering how you would actually go about starting a new religion, i.e doctrines, texts, practices, principles, that kind of thing?

if anyone could help, that would be great!

peace :kimmy:

Start with a revelation or three, convince some folks to follow you, and you kind of go on from there. If things don't work out, try to avoid siege situations, group suicide, etc.

The followers bit may be easier than you'd think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join_Me

hello there people, i was just wondering how you would actually go about starting a new religion, i.e doctrines, texts, practices, principles, that kind of thing?

if anyone could help, that would be great!

peace :kimmy:

Homer Simpson tried it with the Church of the Fonz. You can always start a religion, but maintaining it, ahh, there's the rub.

I don't have any idea but maybe there is some book on Scientology that says how they did it as this was fairly recent.

There is an online book called Bare-Faced Messiah which claims to be the true story of L. Ron Hubbard. It goes into great detail about the beginnings and the growth of Scientology. You can find it HERE.

There is an online book called Bare-Faced Messiah which claims to be the true story of L. Ron Hubbard. It goes into great detail about the beginnings and the growth of Scientology. You can find it HERE.

or dare your college roommate that you can create your own religion, write your own sci-fi novel and devise a stress detector that will find the root of your problems by asking questions about your mother and youth. oh wait you already mentioned L. Ron Hubbard.

Hey, I created my own religion! It was easy. I just said this is my religion, wrote a few words on my belief, met a couple of people who had similar views, and voila, Gnosticology was born! I dare say that even if it was just me, it would still be my religion.

But if you're asking about how to get members and such, I don't know, mainly because I am going by the Field of Dreams mantra: if you build it, they will come. Currently, my religion is mine and a few others, and it may stay that way for perpetuity, which is fine by me.

Hey, I created my own religion! It was easy. I just said this is my religion, wrote a few words on my belief, met a couple of people who had similar views, and voila, Gnosticology was born! I dare say that even if it was just me, it would still be my religion.

But if you're asking about how to get members and such, I don't know, mainly because I am going by the Field of Dreams mantra: if you build it, they will come. Currently, my religion is mine and a few others, and it may stay that way for perpetuity, which is fine by me.

thats awesome, thats what im trying to get at, if i figure out my beliefs and can put them into a religious context for myself and others to understand can i call it a religion?

what do you believe in Gnosticology?

thank you all.

:taz:

thats awesome, thats what im trying to get at, if i figure out my beliefs and can put them into a religious context for myself and others to understand can i call it a religion?

what do you believe in Gnosticology?

thank you all.

:taz:

The main belief in Gnosticology is in enlightenment, and the journey towards enlightenment for humanity. Take a look at my Website where I try to explain it more fully.

Edited by Aaron

Is Gnosticim the same as Gnosticology? Is it a revival of the old way?

• Amulet locked this topic