Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness

Candle

i hold a candle as i walk through the darkness,

i hear screams all around, of people who are in pain,

people who are suffering, why don't i help them?

as i walk through the darkness with my candle,

i see others with a light. they gather around each other, ignoring the screams.

won't they help the ones less blessed then them? i've had enough.

i turn to the nearest scream. i said "come and walk with me and my light."

a woman took my hand and my light grew brighter.

as we walked through the darkness, the screams had gone faint,

and a light broke through the darkness.

we were going home. both naked, and unafraid.

in peace, i remain

Wayne

My thanks and appreciation for the welcome, Flower!

Not sure what you meant by interesting but my metaphysical poetry has been deemed less than "interesting."

The fact that you have chosen to reply means more than words to me.

in peace, i remain

Wayne

post script... there is a connection to the poem and my avatar. The connection has more to do with being open and honest than it has to do with nudity. But then that is the joy of metaphor. :Lighten:

You are welcome Wayne,

I guess what I meant by interesting was; when I read your poem, my mind went to those in darkness screaming. If there is light around them why scream in darkness? It's not so much those with light are ignoring the others, it's more those in darkness are shunning the light. Perhaps some of those with light have come to the conclusion, that those in darkness will always stay that way no matter what they do.

I like your style of writing. Again, thank you for sharing. Oh and I don't really know what metaphysical poetry is. I just know what I like.

Flower

I liked the poem.

But what if those screaming in the darkness wished to be screaming in the darkness, like those who like to ride rolercoasters and such. Then it could be possible that your light disturbed them and ruined their experience.

Hi Flower,

I like your style of writing. Again, thank you for sharing. Oh and I don't really know what metaphysical poetry is. I just know what I like.

Flower

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad that you found something in the words you liked. As for what metaphysical poetry is:

The metaphysical poets were a loose group of British lyric poets of the 17th century, who shared an interest in metaphysical concerns and a common way of investigating them. The label "metaphysical" was given much later by Samuel Johnson in his Life of Cowley. These poets themselves did not form a school or start a movement; most of them did not even know or read each other. Their style was characterized by wit, subtle argumentations, "metaphysical conceits", and/or an unusual simile or metaphor such as in Andrew Marvell’s comparison of the soul with a drop of dew. Several metaphysical poets, especially John Donne, were influenced by neo-Platonism. One of the primary Platonic concepts found in metaphysical poetry is the idea that the perfection of beauty in the beloved acted as a remembrance of perfect beauty in the eternal realm. In a famous definition Georg Lukács, the Hungarian Marxist aesthetist, described the school's common trait of "looking beyond the palpable" and "attempting to erase one's own image from the mirror in front so that it should reflect the not-now and not-here" as foreshadowing existentialism (as quoted in The Aesthetics of Georg Lukács by B. Királyfalvi (1975)).

SOURCE

In blessing, bless

Wayne

Hi Fawzo!

I liked the poem.

But what if those screaming in the darkness wished to be screaming in the darkness, like those who like to ride rolercoasters and such. Then it could be possible that your light disturbed them and ruined their experience.

Never thought of it like that! What a neat spin. Shucks, now I almost feel guilty for intruding... :huh:

Such is the wonder of words. We can each get something different from reading them.

in blessing, bless

Wayne

Thank you Wayne for the explanation. I am trying to understand something though.

"described the school's common trait of "looking beyond the palpable" and "attempting to erase one's own image from the mirror in front so that it should reflect the not-now and not-here" as foreshadowing existentialism"[/color]

Are you looking into the past. future, or the not even of this plain? And if so, why even bother with a mirror? Or is the mirror a metaphore for a scrying glass or pool?

Again, interesting poem. I may not know the style, but as said before, I like it.

Flower

Hi Fawzo!

Never thought of it like that! What a neat spin. Shucks, now I almost feel guilty for intruding... :huh:

Such is the wonder of words. We can each get something different from reading them.

in blessing, bless

Wayne

Don't feel guilty you were doing oh so much better being naked! :inno: