A Little Story

I remember a little story I read a while ago, but I can't find it again. I know I'm not retelling it exactly, but I figured I'd retell it here, with hopes that someone may know and point me to the original tale. Plus, I think it's a nifty story worth relating.

-----

One day, Rabbit-Nose was insulted by Tree-Tooth, who made a habit of wounding individuals with his words. Rabbit-Nose, usually a quiet person, uttered back insults, but Tree-Tooth simply walked away, laughing at Rabbit-Nose's words. Rabbit-Nose was angry all day.

That night, Eagle-Arm chanced upon Rabbit-Nose, and he asked him why he was so angry. Rabbit-Nose explained.

After listening, Eagle-Arm asked, "Aren't you the same person who was chased by a pack of wolves last week, and had to climb a tree to avoid their fangs?"

"I am that person," Rabbit-Nose responded.

"Were you angry at those wolves for chasing you?"

"No, I was not angry."

"Why weren't you angry?"

"How can I be angry at those wolves? They were just acting according to their natures."

Eagle-Arm nodded and added, "You weren't angry at those wolves with their fangs, because they were acting according to their natures. So why are you angry at Tree-Tooth with his unkind words. Was he not also acting according to his nature?"

Thanks. I enjoyed the story.

Now I'm wondering what character I play in it :rolleyes:

Insults are like bad gifts someone tries to hand you. If you accept them and make them yours you will be the one who experiences the effects. But if you are

wise enough to say. 'No thank you, you can keep your gift" it can't have any effect on you.

I remember a little story I read a while ago, but I can't find it again. I know I'm not retelling it exactly, but I figured I'd retell it here, with hopes that someone may know and point me to the original tale. Plus, I think it's a nifty story worth relating.

-----

One day, Rabbit-Nose was insulted by Tree-Tooth, who made a habit of wounding individuals with his words. Rabbit-Nose, usually a quiet person, uttered back insults, but Tree-Tooth simply walked away, laughing at Rabbit-Nose's words. Rabbit-Nose was angry all day.

That night, Eagle-Arm chanced upon Rabbit-Nose, and he asked him why he was so angry. Rabbit-Nose explained.

After listening, Eagle-Arm asked, "Aren't you the same person who was chased by a pack of wolves last week, and had to climb a tree to avoid their fangs?"

"I am that person," Rabbit-Nose responded.

"Were you angry at those wolves for chasing you?"

"No, I was not angry."

"Why weren't you angry?"

"How can I be angry at those wolves? They were just acting according to their natures."

Eagle-Arm nodded and added, "You weren't angry at those wolves with their fangs, because they were acting according to their natures. So why are you angry at Tree-Tooth with his unkind words. Was he not also acting according to his nature?"

Sweet :)

• Amulet locked this topic