Does Size Matter?

VonNoble

I would say it does from personal experience. As I have grown my affirmations have been solidified within my faith, although I do remember the first time my eyes were opened. That was a rush! :D

I don't believe you have to be old to be wise though, as I know some stubborn self righteouss old folks who have gone to church for 40 years.

....does size matter in spirituality?

History has shown that the bigger (and thus more popular) the faith system the more cash inflow, thus easier survival of the faith.

.....Length of time?

The longer you adhere to a belief the stronger it probably becomes, as long as you constantly test it in the real world.

...degree of frequency?

IMNSHO, not as important as some of the other guidelines.

..........measure of intent or intentsity?

Being too intense can blind one to flaws that a less ardent practitioner might catch.

That being said, one who only goes through the motions is shortchanging themselves.

• 4 years later...

From a philosophical point of view

.....Length of time?

...degree of frequency?

...and so forth?

von

Size--No--how would you measure it?

Length--No, depends how focused one is -only.. You can pray , meditate, contemplate for hours and never be present. That is how many say the rosary--us Catholics--simply repetition of words for many, the mind is elsewhere. Hard to focus at times.

Frequency--yes.. It has to be a lifestyle, practiced daily,

Intensity-No. One does not need long, fancy prayers to commune with God or whatever that higher power is.

Matthew 6:6

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I think the above it goes with all spirituality, prayers, contemplation and communion.

blessings,

S

I am reminded of something my Grandmother once said to me as she was baking bread: she mentioned that the yeast she was adding to the dough was what made it rise and lighten the loaf. She then said that the smallest and largest things in the world all have their purpose that the Almighty gave them.

I don't think size is as important as whether one lives for self or with others. Notice the wording: I did not say "for others," as that implies a sacrifice to self (which is fine if that is the choice one wants to make), where "with others" suggests more of an awareness and interaction that benefits all involved.

The best part of resurrecting this thread is that it has reminded me of "the long departed" (from our forum)... I haven't thought of Wizard Adam in years...As for the thread itself, the question is too vague to be meaningful.

Edited by Bro. Hex

I don't agree that it does matter. Some of the best lessons to learn are the most simplestic. To some, to be simple may be to be small. I disagree with that case too.

simple does not necessarly mean small,anymore than complex means big.

From a philosophical point of view

.....Length of time?

...degree of frequency?

...and so forth?

von

I suppose as in sex, so in spirituality. Questions of size, length of time, degree or frequency, and measures of intent or intensity are all eclipsed by the question of an intimacy born of trust and love.

• 7 months later...

Those who've studied musical instruments will know practice with good technique makes perfect- to rephrase an old saying...the same goes for spiritual matters as well I feel. If what I'm doing lifts my spirit, brings me closer to what I perceive as God and hopefully that feeling extends out to others around me then something has been accomplished. All the questions can be answered with what do you feel is right and can it get you where you need to be.

Those who've studied musical instruments will know practice with good technique makes perfect- to rephrase an old saying...the same goes for spiritual matters as well I feel. If what I'm doing lifts my spirit, brings me closer to what I perceive as God and hopefully that feeling extends out to others around me then something has been accomplished. All the questions can be answered with what do you feel is right and can it get you where you need to be.

• Amulet locked this topic