Still Spinning The Platters

Mike Hobart

Listening to Phillip Hunt's Sounds of Brass show on the BBC Radio Player website, I was intrigued to hear that some of the tracks he was playing came from a bag of vinyl LP records that a fan of brass band music had passed on to him.

I knew that in Australia few radio studios come with turntables or record players. My local station had a Vinyl Week recently where they played stuff on vinyl every afternoon, and they had to get technicians in specially to install a turntable.

So I fired off an e-mail to Phillip asking if his studio at Radio Devon still had one and got the following answer promptly:

Dear Michael,

Yes it does, not one but two in fact.

How much longer they will survive I do not know, but there are still some of us who use them regularly.

I just breathe a sigh of relief every week when I go in to still find them there.

Nice to see the old technology still survives in some isolated pockets of the Empire.

~ I know... I have my father's collection of old vinyl

& was wondering where I could get parts & needles for my own turn-table.

Well, there are D.J.s at raves & 'hip-hop' clubs & such that feed the demand!

In Santa Clarita {in So Cali} there's a shop called 'Beats & Blunts' that sells turn-tables & parts & needles & all.

There's music on that vinyl that hasn't been digitized yet & it still needs to be heard.

It's nice to know that the way & means are still available, huh?