The Cowardly Lion

RevRainbow

The world is a bubbling cauldron of hate, violence and evil; yet flowers still bloom and birds still sing. However, if you stop to smell the flowers, you may get shot in a drive-by. The day is also coming where the movie house, restaurant or train you are in could explode into rubble because of a terrorist attack.

Sadly, the Millennium did not usher in an era of peace and understanding; rather an era of intimidation and fear. My confidence in my generation’s ability to redeem itself, including our own current government’s ability to effectively (and with honesty) lead its people, has dwindled immensely in these past few years. The four essential human freedoms that Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke of 70 years ago have been reduced to two-and-a-half and, they’re not doing too well.

In our own society, Freedom from Want is not guaranteed for the poor and destitute even though the resources are at our fingertips. Freedom to Worship has been confused with Religious zeal; Freedom of Speech (and expression) is relegated to specified zones, and Freedom from Fear has disappeared.

Fear is where I want to focus; not the healthy, legitimate concerns that we all have, but the crippling fear of facing an enemy that saps the joy of life from our being through violent intimidation.

Fear will destroy you faster than any outside enemy. Fear paralyzes a people. Street gangs use fear to control neighborhoods. Tyrants use fear to oppress a country. Terrorists use fear to neutralize nations. They instill fear through violent menace and retaliation. And they know, as all warriors know, that if we are crippled by fear, we have already lost the battle. They rattle their swords and we cower. We lack courage.

As children we are afraid of the dark. As adults, we fear failure. In all these fears, we wind up running away, remain silent, do nothing, or sit alone worrying unless we face them head on and deal with them. We must do something to free ourselves from the paralysis that keep us in bondage and ineffective as individuals, and as a nation. We must identify, acknowledge and respond to our fears, real and imagined.

You say, “Okay, old man, so what should I do about it?” Two words: Do Good.

Hear me out. The world needs good people to do good things. In doing good, you honor yourself and others. Honesty and integrity are not archaic values of the past; they will work as well today in bringing forth positive results. You must be willing to see that what you do (as well as what you don’t do) affects others around you as well as yourself and that you can make a dramatic difference in a world bent on violence and self destruction.

Idealistically we all want to make our mark in the world; unfortunately, many leave a scar instead. As you head out into society to establish career, home and family, always carry with you strength of character and determination to succeed in what you do without hurting others. Do not allow fear of failure, the unknown or bullies’ threats keep you from building and achieving your hopes and dreams.

Do not be afraid to oppose violence, speak out against injustice, expose lies and deception, defend the weak, help those in need, and stand up for what is right. I believe you, all of us, can make a difference for good. Be strong but don’t be a bully. Be at peace, as much as is possible, with all those you come in contact with.

If the world community is to prosper there is, then, no room for barbaric, irresponsible violent behavior. We must first eradicate this pervasive fear that menaces our society by eliminating terrorism in all its forms. Free Society is breaking down and the only way I see to reverse the trend is by confronting the threat of violence (and those who perpetrate it) which keeps us in a state of fear, both at home and abroad. Change must begin with you, gentle reader. Claim the victory! Have the courage to do Good.

Edited by RevRainbow

The world is a bubbling cauldron of hate, violence and evil; yet flowers still bloom and birds still sing. However, if you stop to smell the flowers, you may get shot in a drive-by. The day is also coming where the movie house, restaurant or train you are in could explode into rubble because of a terrorist attack.

Sadly, the Millennium did not usher in an era of peace and understanding; rather an era of intimidation and fear. My confidence in my generation’s ability to redeem itself, including our own current government’s ability to effectively (and with honesty) lead its people, has dwindled immensely in these past few years. The four essential human freedoms that Franklin D. Roosevelt spoke of 70 years ago have been reduced to two-and-a-half and, they’re not doing too well.

In our own society, Freedom from Want is not guaranteed for the poor and destitute even though the resources are at our fingertips. Freedom to Worship has been confused with Religious zeal; Freedom of Speech (and expression) is relegated to specified zones, and Freedom from Fear has disappeared.

Fear is where I want to focus; not the healthy, legitimate concerns that we all have, but the crippling fear of facing an enemy that saps the joy of life from our being through violent intimidation.

Fear will destroy you faster than any outside enemy. Fear paralyzes a people. Street gangs use fear to control neighborhoods. Tyrants use fear to oppress a country. Terrorists use fear to neutralize nations. They instill fear through violent menace and retaliation. And they know, as all warriors know, that if we are crippled by fear, we have already lost the battle. They rattle their swords and we cower. We lack courage.

As children we are afraid of the dark. As adults, we fear failure. In all these fears, we wind up running away, remain silent, do nothing, or sit alone worrying unless we face them head on and deal with them. We must do something to free ourselves from the paralysis that keep us in bondage and ineffective as individuals, and as a nation. We must identify, acknowledge and respond to our fears, real and imagined.

You say, “Okay, old man, so what should I do about it?” Two words: Do Good.

Hear me out. The world needs good people to do good things. In doing good, you honor yourself and others. Honesty and integrity are not archaic values of the past; they will work as well today in bringing forth positive results. You must be willing to see that what you do (as well as what you don’t do) affects others around you as well as yourself and that you can make a dramatic difference in a world bent on violence and self destruction.

Idealistically we all want to make our mark in the world; unfortunately, many leave a scar instead. As you head out into society to establish career, home and family, always carry with you strength of character and determination to succeed in what you do without hurting others. Do not allow fear of failure, the unknown or bullies’ threats keep you from building and achieving your hopes and dreams.

Do not be afraid to oppose violence, speak out against injustice, expose lies and deception, defend the weak, help those in need, and stand up for what is right. I believe you, all of us, can make a difference for good. Be strong but don’t be a bully. Be at peace, as much as is possible, with all those you come in contact with.

If the world community is to prosper there is, then, no room for barbaric, irresponsible violent behavior. We must first eradicate this pervasive fear that menaces our society by eliminating terrorism in all its forms. Free Society is breaking down and the only way I see to reverse the trend is by confronting the threat of violence (and those who perpetrate it) which keeps us in a state of fear, both at home and abroad. Change must begin with you, gentle reader. Claim the victory! Have the courage to do Good.

Fear is also the tool of the government and the media, that is what keeps people fear level high, they thrive on it, how else could a useless war be championed by the people, some even after finding that those illusive weapons of mass destruction were fictional from the start still believe in the government that is in power all due to the perfected use of fear against the United States Citizens.

Much of our natural danger signals to our brains (those we have as instinct) have been muted down, such as the use of flashes of red, this is instinctual a danger signal, it makes our brain take note because in nature it is often a sign of danger, from poisonous, deadly or hot things, so the ad agencies use it on so many products, especially a round red mark, our brain will see it and we feel an alertness, often mistaken for excitement and are drawn to at the very least, look at the item. But go into a market and look down any isle and look for all the red danger signals, it is amazing, so our brains get resigned to ignoring instinctual signals of danger. We pick up the danger signals from our parents, few children come out of childhood without taking on parental fears (fear of water from the parent that can't swim, or flying, or heights, or small spaces etc..), we can also pick them up by experience (falling off a bike might have someone who never rides again, being bitten by a dog might leave the fear of animal bites, etc..) and then it is mostly media where we obtain the remainder of the fears.

Everywhere you look it is "The worst storm ever, see detail at 6", "It happened to me, It could happen to you, tune in at 11 or risk sure death", "Are marshmallows deadly to children? These parents warn others after their children died from this fluffy food, don't miss this vital information!" almost every show on TV, news, weather and talk shows are full of these dire warnings, fear tactics.

The government has laws to keep us safe from ourselves and that shouldn't be their job but using fear factors they convince voters to agree with these laws.

Yes we should stand up and say no more, but it should be to all of the mess and it is not likely to happen because so far what they all see is, it works it gets them just the results they want, people tune in, they buy the products they support the violence, they become afraid and let the government take control of their lives just so they can feel safe.

Yes, and even religions use fear, don't they?

Are you going to Hell? Tune in at 11! :fear:

:lol: I can't believe I missed that one

of course religions use fear, it is a great motivator and tool of control

:beach: good thing i don't believe in hell

Must be a commencement speech, the tip-off being the "As you head out into society to establish career, home and family" bit.

As such, it is filled with wonderful warm fuzzies, but dies a-bornin' from lack of practical advice. "Doing good" is about as specific a directive as "Do no harm" or "Do that which is right". My idea of good might be to work on my vigilante skills and collect scalps of wrong-doers.

Which brings to mind a second point. Violence is as necessary at times as good deeds and happy thought. You don't subdue terrorists with pleas and you don't reason with muggers on the street. You take them down fast, THEN worry about socially-conscious ideas and rehabilitative concerns.

Anyone who "speaks out against violence and defends the weak" had darn well better have more tools in their pouch than a kind word and a warm smile...

Not a commencement speech my friend but a farewell to a special group of people which I have shared here. Is that a sin?

Also, I believe I defined the type of irrational violence of which I spoke.

I believe I also defined the type of doing good of which I spoke.

Finally, I am a combat veteran so I know full well when someone is shooting at you you had better shoot back...and more accurately! :gun2:

Edited by RevRainbow

Fear is also the tool of the government and the media, that is what keeps people fear level high, they thrive on it, how else could a useless war be championed by the people, some even after finding that those illusive weapons of mass destruction were fictional from the start still believe in the government that is in power all due to the perfected use of fear against the United States Citizens.

Much of our natural danger signals to our brains (those we have as instinct) have been muted down, such as the use of flashes of red, this is instinctual a danger signal, it makes our brain take note because in nature it is often a sign of danger, from poisonous, deadly or hot things, so the ad agencies use it on so many products, especially a round red mark, our brain will see it and we feel an alertness, often mistaken for excitement and are drawn to at the very least, look at the item. But go into a market and look down any isle and look for all the red danger signals, it is amazing, so our brains get resigned to ignoring instinctual signals of danger. We pick up the danger signals from our parents, few children come out of childhood without taking on parental fears (fear of water from the parent that can't swim, or flying, or heights, or small spaces etc..), we can also pick them up by experience (falling off a bike might have someone who never rides again, being bitten by a dog might leave the fear of animal bites, etc..) and then it is mostly media where we obtain the remainder of the fears.

Everywhere you look it is "The worst storm ever, see detail at 6", "It happened to me, It could happen to you, tune in at 11 or risk sure death", "Are marshmallows deadly to children? These parents warn others after their children died from this fluffy food, don't miss this vital information!" almost every show on TV, news, weather and talk shows are full of these dire warnings, fear tactics.

The government has laws to keep us safe from ourselves and that shouldn't be their job but using fear factors they convince voters to agree with these laws.

Yes we should stand up and say no more, but it should be to all of the mess and it is not likely to happen because so far what they all see is, it works it gets them just the results they want, people tune in, they buy the products they support the violence, they become afraid and let the government take control of their lives just so they can feel safe.

So true.

The other day I was listening to the radio and a commercial came on about storm windows and how you were not safe unless you had them. In the background I heard a siren wailing and thought it was outside... only when I heard the ad for the storm windows again I realized the siren was from the ad itself.

So true.

The other day I was listening to the radio and a commercial came on about storm windows and how you were not safe unless you had them. In the background I heard a siren wailing and thought it was outside... only when I heard the ad for the storm windows again I realized the siren was from the ad itself.

yes even in a window ad, it is really amazing the scare tactics you will find all over the TV/Radio when you stop to pay attention to them.

Is that a sin?

Not at all. It's just that having attended more than my fair share of such speeches, I thought I recognized the genre. You have to admit that most monologues delivered to high school and college students are full of sound and fury, but signify nothing except platitudes.

Also, I believe I defined the type of irrational violence of which I spoke.

I must have missed it then, because I saw everything from drive-by shootings to fear of failure.

I believe I also defined the type of doing good of which I spoke.

"oppose violence, speak out against injustice, expose lies and deception, defend the weak, help those in need, and stand up for what is right."

Is that the type of good you're referring to?

You realize of course that without further elaboration for your audience, you might very well be sentencing some of them to a premature death...if I were to hear this speech, take it to heart, then go out and valiantly strive to do good by, let's say, defending the weak...I might not realize that I don't have all the tools necessary to do so. Did you also mention that sometimes the weak do not WISH to be defended? That helping those in need might very well lead to your enrollment in their very ranks? That the process of exposing lies and deception could very well lead to your physical demise?

However much I might admire the intent behind your words, you have to realize that people might interpret them a bit differently than you meant them, which in turn might NOT be good enough when it comes to laying down the chips.

Finally, whose definition of "good" are you subscribing to? How about the word "terrorist"? These words are quite loaded with double meanings - to many, the US is a bully, an interloper and a terrorist nation. Who's to say they're wrong? All of your points about violence, injustice, etc. could be and have been applied to the US.

Finally, I am a combat veteran so I know full well when someone is shooting at you you had better shoot back...and more accurately! :gun2:

Agreed. And, thank you for serving.

Sifuphil,

Your argument has been persuasive. I realized after reading your last post that the environment where this was presented was geared to a specific group who needed no clarification of context. I should have expanded the thought or at least defined the post rather than just reprinting. I will be more discerning next time. You made your point.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I think your consideration is yours and yours alone - whatever we say here is ultimately meaningless when compared to one's own thoughts and views.

As Samadhi said, "If you plant fear, fear will grow. If you plant confidence, confidence will grow..". The world can be a nasty place, but it can also be a beautiful one - it's all in your perception. MY perception tends to be darker than many but not as dark as some. I've been through many rotten times, yet I'm still capable of being...hopeful, I suppose you'd call it.

Leaving life is easy - staying and making a difference is hard. How do you want to be remembered?

Edited by SifuPhil

Your argument has been persuasive. I realized after reading your last post that the environment where this was presented was geared to a specific group who needed no clarification of context. I should have expanded the thought or at least defined the post rather than just reprinting. I will be more discerning next time. You made your point.

And my apologies for not inquiring as to the audience you had in mind. I made the mother of all mess-ups - I assumed. :(

Sifuphil, It was more my mess up than yours, you just pointed it out. We should both benefit from the encounter. Thanks.

Tigger, a wise man (well, at least a democrat) once said "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.' which was the point I was making. People can plant fear but our courage, determination, faith in God and/or ones self, love and hope for the future combined with our involvement all are effective tools in overcoming fear.

Dearest Tigger Have you seen George Carlin's latest? He basically says the way the country is run and if you do yourself in you are being brainwashed by the negative! I have had a bunch of junk in my life - mother died, husband died, father died, Lost the house and truck, became homeless, separated from my son cause he was staying with friends during that time period, lost the apartment, moved to TENN. into a house and reunited the family, then have had congestive heart failure, blood clots, and serious skin cancer. So let us say life has dealt me thanks to what some say my own decisions and choices and what I had drawn to me a rough road. And as I sit here I am still grateful for what I do have. My life has turned around in some respect as I work to clean up my own act. Then I would look at the illness as a cleanse as I release all the things that interfere with my accepting myself as spirit first and human second. We cannot control those in control of the USA, neighbors, friends, or family. All we can really control is ourselves and our own responses. I look at the trees and the flowers, the wildlife, forests,mountains, lakes, rivers, streams and creeks and see what has been provided us by the Creator. I sit and meditate and say thank you. I found that being grateful for all things that effect me on a personal basis, and paying attention to what I can do to serve my fellow man, allows me to be not afraid of what I have no control over anyway. My relationship with Creator allows me to be close to who I really am - a wonderful loving child of the Creator. As I work on cleaning out old tapes I am a wonderful loving child of the Creator who is not afraid of war, terrorist or the gang down the street. What I have noticed when I have not worked on myself I did get very afraid. And I know Creator has power over all things good and bad. I wish you luck be not afraid see the beauty within yourself! Light and Love !!!! Golden Eagle Woman

• 5 weeks later...

Growing up traveling I became inurre(sp) to the every day violence of gangs and terrorists (who in my mind are no different than gangs only on a broader/bigger scale).War and threat of war was a norm.

It wasn't until I had to physically defend myself and my children from a maniac (to whom I happened to be married to at the time) that I learned fear. All of my growing up life I was trained in self-defense never thinking I'd actually have to use it, much less against a man who claimed to love, honor, and cherish me.

As a result I have been living with a fear of relationships and have not, and do not have a man in my life. I had a hard time realizing what I was doing to myself in allowing that fear to take over my life.

I am now doing the things that I need to do to get my "self" back.

Love, Theresa

Growing up traveling I became inurre(sp) to the every day violence of gangs and terrorists (who in my mind are no different than gangs only on a broader/bigger scale).War and threat of war was a norm.

It wasn't until I had to physically defend myself and my children from a maniac (to whom I happened to be married to at the time) that I learned fear. All of my growing up life I was trained in self-defense never thinking I'd actually have to use it, much less against a man who claimed to love, honor, and cherish me.

As a result I have been living with a fear of relationships and have not, and do not have a man in my life. I had a hard time realizing what I was doing to myself in allowing that fear to take over my life.

I am now doing the things that I need to do to get my "self" back.

Love, Theresa

The worlds a better place with you in it. You will return to the place you need to be to accept love and give love without fear. Relationships between 2 people who share a mutual love for one another, sometimes suffer hurt and pain emotionally in everyday struggles of life but should never under any circumstances bring physical pain and abuse to each other. I'm sorry for your experiences, let them make you stronger as a woman. Let the world around you heal you as only mother earth can. From your roots, a stronger, loving woman will emerge and I am glad to know you.

Love Bill

• Amulet locked this topic