One-hit Wonders

PastorWilbur

There are plenty of great songwriters around. Maybe you just aren't listening to enough new stuff - you have to separate the wheat from the chaff - it's always been that way.

As a percentage, very few songs nowadays have lyrics beyond a cereal box or 1st grade attempt at a rhyme, which generally only plays to the least common denominator.. But of course, there are exceptions.....Diana Crawl and Nickel Creek come to mind. And others. Few lyrics today have much meaning nowadays. But again, as denoted by my smilies, I was largely making a humorous point in my previous post. I see your proclivity, but you may get more purchase picking your nose, instead of people. :D

He played at Pat 'N' Nick's, a bar by my house, about a month ago. It's kind of sad to see a musician of that caliber playing bars, but he did a great show. Speaking of great songwriting - Leon's "This Masquerade" is one of the finest songs ever written, IMHO.

I agree 100%

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun... -Terry Jacks

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby, rock the boat.... - The Hues Corporation

Put the lime in the coconut, she drank it all up... - Nilsson

Who's gunna steal the show, you know it's the guitar man... - Bread (ok, not exactly a one-hit wonder, but the song came to me in my revere)

{the sound of dueling banjos} - I forget...but a great tune and a theme to a great movie

:rolleyes:

I am not sure why lyrics come to me so easily....I can remember almost any song from '65 to '85, yet I cannot remember the names of the countless women with whom I have had sex. :cool: Priorities man, priorities!!! I really should make a list. -_-

Which reminds me....where in the hell are all the song writers today? A rhetorical questions.....they are all dumbed by nintendo and the undisciplined progressive generation that has no skills whatsoever. Wait a minute...."put the lime in the coconut" is some form of genius? Not. But, at least they could play musical instruments and write.

What ever happened to Leon Russell? Such is life......

He'll be playing DFest in Tulsa on the 28th. sings "I'm up on a high wire..."

Edited to add..."Billy Don't Be a Hero" Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods (US version).

"The Night Chicago Died" - Paper Lace (Had a hit version of the above song in the UK).

Edited by revbruce

Another one from that album: "Jump into the Fire"...oh, and "Early in the morning"...for the longest time i though i bought a defective album from that song lol:..."aint got nothin' aint got nothin' aint got nothin' aint got nothin'... but the blues".

And there's also "The Moonbeam Song," which I think is the best song on the album.

As a percentage, very few songs nowadays have lyrics beyond a cereal box or 1st grade attempt at a rhyme, which generally only plays to the least common denominator.. But of course, there are exceptions.....Diana Crawl and Nickel Creek come to mind. And others. Few lyrics today have much meaning nowadays. But again, as denoted by my smilies, I was largely making a humorous point in my previous post. I see your proclivity, but you may get more purchase picking your nose, instead of people. :D

Do you mean Diana Krall? She's a fantastic jazz pianist and vocalist, but as a songwriter, she has yet to prove herself. She's recorded eleven albums, and on one of them she co-authored six songs with her husband, Elvis Costello. Everything else she's released has been covers of jazz standards.

If that is who you're referring to when you mention Diana Crawl, which of those six songs that she co-authored do you think qualifies her as a great songwriter, an exception to what else is out there today? :D

Edited by Verisoph

Here is one.

Lee Graham, also known as Leapy Lee. the original artist who, in 1968, sold 3,500,000 copies of his song "Little Arrows". The song and the album topped the charts in 18 countries around the world. Two more No.1 hit singles in South Africa and Australia, along with subsequent tours and cabaret shows established Leapy as a true international performer in every sense of the word.

Leapy's hit "Little Arrows" was prevented from going to number one in the UK charts by The Beatles' "Hey Jude". When The Beatles came off the top, Leapy stayed at number two while Mary Hopkin's "Those Were The Days" leapfrogged him into the top slot.

ftp://tsgc.dyndns.org/music.files/ROCKA/Little%20Arrows.mp3