One-hit Wonders

PastorWilbur

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember "Steam"?..."ShaNaNaNa, Hey, Hey, Goodbye"?

--Iron Butterfly...Inagoddadavida?

--Lee Michaels....Do you know what I mean?

Man that Lee Michaels was a keyboard playing Maniac!

And that drummer of his...Frosty Bartholamew (?), excellent stuff! they should have been "contenders", for sure.

--and that one band that did the song called "stairway to heaven" or something like that?

they had a couple good songs too.

Name your favourite 'one-hit wonder' from the music world.

Now THIS is my kind of thread.....

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.....here I am, stuck in the middle with you. - Stealers Wheel

Give me the beat boys.. that frees my soul... I want to get lost your rock and roll... and drift away.... - Dobie Gray

Let her cry for she's a lady, let her dream for she's a child, let the rain fall upon her...for she's a free and gentle flower growing wild... - Skylark

Ah, to name just a few..... :D

A couple of years ago I had a long-lasting thread on this forum similar to this where I quoted lyrics and others figured out who the band was....but with the internet, it really was not much of a deal....but it seemed many erstwhile folks enjoyed it. Oh well.....

Rock on..... :russian:

El Chico

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun... -Terry Jacks

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby, rock the boat.... - The Hues Corporation

Put the lime in the coconut, she drank it all up... - Nilsson

Who's gunna steal the show, you know it's the guitar man... - Bread (ok, not exactly a one-hit wonder, but the song came to me in my revere)

{the sound of dueling banjos} - I forget...but a great tune and a theme to a great movie

:rolleyes:

I am not sure why lyrics come to me so easily....I can remember almost any song from '65 to '85, yet I cannot remember the names of the countless women with whom I have had sex. :cool: Priorities man, priorities!!! I really should make a list. -_-

Which reminds me....where in the hell are all the song writers today? A rhetorical questions.....they are all dumbed by nintendo and the undisciplined progressive generation that has no skills whatsoever. Wait a minute...."put the lime in the coconut" is some form of genius? Not. But, at least they could play musical instruments and write.

What ever happened to Leon Russell? Such is life......

We had joy we had fun we had seasons in the sun... -Terry Jacks

Rock the boat, don't rock the boat baby, rock the boat.... - The Hues Corporation

Put the lime in the coconut, she drank it all up... - Nilsson

Harry Nilsson doesn't really qualify as a one hit wonder - he also did Everybody's Talkin', which was used as the theme to Midnight Cowboy, in addition to being a hit on its own.

He's also an excellent songwriter. On the same album as "Coconut" is the song "Without You," (can't live... if living is without you) which has been recorded by at least a dozen artists, and has been a hit twice.

Which reminds me....where in the hell are all the song writers today? A rhetorical questions.....they are all dumbed by nintendo and the undisciplined progressive generation that has no skills whatsoever. Wait a minute...."put the lime in the coconut" is some form of genius? Not. But, at least they could play musical instruments and write.

There are plenty of great songwriters around. Maybe you just aren't listening to enough new stuff - you have to separate the wheat from the chaff - it's always been that way.

What ever happened to Leon Russell? Such is life......

He played at Pat 'N' Nick's, a bar by my house, about a month ago. It's kind of sad to see a musician of that caliber playing bars, but he did a great show. Speaking of great songwriting - Leon's "This Masquerade" is one of the finest songs ever written, IMHO.