When you entered the temple of Apollo in Delphi, Greece, you found a sign that said "Gnothi Seauton"  which mean "Know Yourself."

The early Gnostic Christian attributed to Jesus Christ the following words: "When you know yourselves, then you will be known, and you will understand that you are children of the living father" (The Gospel of Thomas, verse 3).  Bassui Tokusho (1327-1387), a Japanese Buddhist teacher, taught his students that be obtaining knowledge of their true self they could reach enlightenment or Nirvana, spiritual enlightenment.  Meister Johannes Eckhart (1260-1327) wrote the following: "To reach the center of the greatness of God, one must at least reach the center of oneself.  It is impossible to know God if one does has not known oneself at first".  Sri Ramana Maharishi (1879-1950), a modern day Hindu Guru, taught  his students to concentrate on the question "Who am I?" in order to reach spiritual enlightenment.  These three men from three different religions taught the path of "self-knowledge" in order to reach the goal of their respective religions.

The simple path of self-knowledge or concentrating on the question "Who am I?" can lead us to profound inner understanding.  It matters not if we believe or not in a being called God, the path of self-knowledge can awaken in each of us an inner light.

Hermano Luis

Brother H,  In my years here on this forum, having read your responses on several varied subjects, I have come to admire and respect you for your calmness and understanding in responding to the positions of others (even if the comments of others are abrasive and/or disrespectful).  The knowledge which you have shared here has helped me personally, and I would especially like to express appreciation for the timely delivery of this particular message.

God bless.

On 2/15/2016 at 0:46 AM, Songster said:

Brother H,  In my years here on this forum, having read your responses on several varied subjects, I have come to admire and respect you for your calmness and understanding in responding to the positions of others (even if the comments of others are abrasive and/or disrespectful).

Ditto.... Your non-combative nature speaks volumes about your character, maturity, and belief... While I don't share the same philosophy, you demonstrate more Christ-like attributes than most Christians.