I heard of this church when I read an article on line offering Kate Kelly the chance to be ordained through their church (you can read about it here...http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2030300). I was very curious. But after looking on line to learn more, it seemed there were a number of websites claiming to be the ULC, I think the one in the article I read was an offshoot from this one? But you (this church) seem to have two websites, I'm not sure if this is even the same church as the one linked to on Wikipedia (the original
?). So, I had a few questions:

1. Are you (this website) affiliated with the original ULC or a splinter group?

2. Is the ULC mentioned in the article the same as this one or any form of recognized branch, or are they just some other church with the same name?

3. Do you also accept pagans, Jedi, etc in this order if it is not the same one, like the one in the article does?

4. If there are differences, what are they and why did other groups offshoot from you, or the original if you are not the original?

5. If you are different churches, do you (this church) accept those that want to preach using books outside the Bible, like the Dead Sea Scrolls, Pseudepigraphal writings, Gnostic texts, Book of Mormon, etc?

Thank you for your time.

I agree. It is the Monastery's hyper link and motto. As of 2006, we are not connected to them They split off.

We are the original church. The first congregation, founded by Kirby Hensley in 1959, is still in Modesto, California. The Monastery was the Church's first website. They broke off and became an independent entity.

Edited by Jonathan H. B. Lobl

I heard of this church when I read an article on line offering Kate Kelly the chance to be ordained through their church (you can read about it here...http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2030300). I was very curious. But after looking on line to learn more, it seemed there were a number of websites claiming to be the ULC, I think the one in the article I read was an offshoot from this one? But you (this church) seem to have two websites, I'm not sure if this is even the same church as the one linked to on Wikipedia (the original

?). So, I had a few questions:

1. Are you (this website) affiliated with the original ULC or a splinter group?

2. Is the ULC mentioned in the article the same as this one or any form of recognized branch, or are they just some other church with the same name?

3. Do you also accept pagans, Jedi, etc in this order if it is not the same one, like the one in the article does?

4. If there are differences, what are they and why did other groups offshoot from you, or the original if you are not the original?

5. If you are different churches, do you (this church) accept those that want to preach using books outside the Bible, like the Dead Sea Scrolls, Pseudepigraphal writings, Gnostic texts, Book of Mormon, etc?

Thank you for your time.

The original ULC and the one recognized by the government is Modesto.

This site is authorized by Modesto, The Monastery is no longer authorized by Modesto and is a splinter group and pretender.

Since each minister ordained can or has started their own ministry, there are a large number of ULC organizations and ministries out there.

The only requirement to belong is to have your ordination registered at Modesto. All branch sites provide this, excluding the Monastery.

There is no benchmark to meet to join the ULC, except the nominal registration fee , I guess.

The whole point is freedom of religion. Believe what you wish. Center your religious practices on whatever you wish. Just be prepared to grant all others the same due, That's the only way it works.

Please bear in mind I am in no way an authorized representative of this organization. Just putting in my 2 cents.

I can address your questions one at a time here, be advised that I am not a spokesperson for this site. I am just a regular member who has been a member for a while now. These are just my opinions.

1. Are you (this website) affiliated with the original ULC or a splinter group? This is the only site authorized by the very original site, this has been addressed above. But it's true.

2. Is the ULC mentioned in the article the same as this one or any form of recognized branch, or are they just some other church with the same name? When the ULC (original) started gaining popularity, wininng lawsuits and getting a lot of publicity other persons started their own churches ( I'll use this tem inclusively), But only this one has remained recognized. The only splinter group that does not recognize the orginal is a group from Florida called The Universal Life Church World Headquarters.

3. Do you also accept pagans, Jedi, etc in this order if it is not the same one, like the one in the article does? Yes this site or church accepts any and all persons no matter what your beliefs. Just browse the forum and you will see not only acceptance but a brother hood of support and understanding. There is a great opportunity here to learn and educate yourself as to other's beliefs, gain an understanding of how they think, what moves them. And a chance to let yourself out and educate others. My quote: "In knowledge there is understanding, In understanding there is peace." If you get ordained here you are accepted by all the sites except one, mentioned above.

4. If there are differences, what are they and why did other groups offshoot from you, or the original if you are not the original? I'm afraid you'll have to ask the other sites why they did what they did. They have their reasons, anything I tried to explain here would just be guesses. Nothing says that you have to be exclusive to only one site. Some people here do belong to other sites. I also belong to the seminary for the educational and shopping opportunities.

5. If you are different churches, do you (this church) accept those that want to preach using books outside the Bible, like the Dead Sea Scrolls, Pseudepigraphal writings, Gnostic texts, Book of Mormon, etc? In one word: YES. You'll find those here of all different beliefs, with different books of faith. There is no traditional doctrine, only do that which is right. Even if you do not have a book you will be accepted here. No body is judged here, just acceptance.

Like I said this is my opinion and mine only, not the official position of the site or it's moderators. But it really is a great site to belong to. I hope these answers help.

Edited by RevJackP
  • 1 month later...

I don't know about the UPS Store, but I Googled their address and found a strip of rather nondescript commercial buildings. I Googled the address of this one and I found a church... I'm also puzzled by the use of the word "monastery," which implies it's a place where monks go to isolate themselves from society and take a vow of poverty or silence or whatever.

Yes, their use of the term "monastery" does appear (to me) to be deliberately misleading... "puffery" is what I would call it.... its not illegal, just not particularly truthful (imho).

Querty, if you hang around here long enough, you will discover that several of us actually have a preference for esoteric scriptures, such as the Gnostic Gospels (my particular favorites) and other fragmentary works, such as the Gospel of Peter. Personally I have only a passing interest in the canonical gospels (other than Mark), and almost no interest at all in the Jewish criptures that are typically called the Old Testament. You will find all kinds of bedfellows here... some may be to your liking... and others, not so much.

• Amulet locked this topic