Mission As Youth

Umeko

As a child my grandfather would often tell me "it must be your mission, like a missionary". He was referring to how helpful he said I was to strangers. I often had strangers just approach me, out of the blue. They felt the need to simply tell me about what was bothering them and I would listen intently. Sometimes I would offer them some kind words, reassurance and a warm embrace. They always thanked me and could offer no reason for having even spoken to me in such detail about whatever was bothering them. I felt I was there for that reason on that day, it helped them out - I'm happy for that. As an adult this still happens to me no matter where I live. But like my grandfather says - it may well be my 'mission' to offer a listening ear for others.

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for taking so long to answer Umeko.

However, you remind me very much of the same type person my wife is in what you wrote. She too has had the oddest encounters with people just coming to her "out of the blue" and often while within a crowd of people.

There is a certain energy that you put off, like a beacon for those that need your particular words. Words that may be said by others, but somehow only have the impact that your energy seems to deliver. It's strange to most and can actually put off many people, but do not allow that to distract your purpose. As with Kay, many nay-sayers of her, well let's just call it "ability" for the sake of conversation, seemed troubled because they couldn't break through her energy.

This is not a "wrong" or something you are not doing or anything negative. The fact remains in Kay's case, perhaps yours, your connections to people are only for those people that there is an intended message, no one else.

Let me ask you these...

Do you keep a very small group of friends? Do you feel somehow "disjointed" in crowds? Would you rather have one or two really tight friends than a dozen so called ones? and a dozen more questions down the same line of thinking.

These all applied to Kay and what she found was that was her purpose, not to be "little Miss Popular" rather a true and genuine help to those in many forms of distress. Personal to spiritual, religious to secular, school to work, you name the topic, she's had people touched by her words.

I genuinely hope that you find your place/purpose in what you do because it is so rewarding Spiritually as I'm sure you're aware of already.

Many blessings of Peace,

Thank you for writing about this subject. I greatly enjoy hearing from others and how they have helped people with something small, like words. Like you wife I too find a connection with smaller groups, fewer close friends. Oddly I'm not the best speaker, I can sometimes just stumble over explaining something. But when someone shares something to me I feel a need to listen and help in some small way.

Thank you for writing about this subject. I greatly enjoy hearing from others and how they have helped people with something small, like words. Like you wife I too find a connection with smaller groups, fewer close friends. Oddly I'm not the best speaker, I can sometimes just stumble over explaining something. But when someone shares something to me I feel a need to listen and help in some small way.

I must apologize as well, I don't know how I missed your thread.

I am also one of those folks who have strangers walk up and start explaining their problems, while I listen patiently... It has been disconcerting for family and friends at times....

But I cannot tell you how many times I've been thanked for being there to talk to.... how it has affected them? - I usually do not know - but I believe it helps everyone to have someone to share with....

• Amulet locked this topic