Marrying People In Indiana, Help! Getting Married!

mlk

I have a question and i am hoping someone can give me a answer. I have a buddy that wants to get ordained though the ulc and i was wondering if he could legaly marry us after he is ordained though here? If so, how do we go about getting papers and any legal stuff to make the marrage legal? Do we just get the papers at the courthouse? How will they know if he is ordained or not? Do we have to purchase a certificate for him? I am sorry for all the questions but i love this girl to an unexplanable length, and i would love for my best friend to marry us. It means a lot to me. Any help would be great. Please remember i live in indiana if that makes a difference. Thank you for any help. mlk

first,step back,take a breath and relax. :coffee:

what you need to do is get your marrige license.what your friend needs to do is register thru here,or at the main ulc website,get his confirmation(usually an email from hq)that he has been ordained and then fill out his part of the marrige license,making sure he gets it back to where it has to go within time limits.now,if you want to pay for his certificate,then go for it.otherwise,he'll get one within 3 months.

question for you:you state"i would love for my best friend to marry us".how does your intended feel about this,and does she want to get married?love is a great thing,and marrige can be,but you need to make sure it's what you both want.and just fyi,the wedding day is usually the brides time,so what she wants in a ceremony and such is the rule.your just there as a legality.

which part of indiana are you from?

Edited by mark 45

first,step back,take a breath and relax. :coffee:

what you need to do is get your marrige license.what your friend needs to do is register thru here,or at the main ulc website,get his confirmation(usually an email from hq)that he has been ordained and then fill out his part of the marrige license,making sure he gets it back to where it has to go within time limits.now,if you want to pay for his certificate,then go for it.otherwise,he'll get one within 3 months.

question for you:you state"i would love for my best friend to marry us".how does your intended feel about this,and does she want to get married?love is a great thing,and marrige can be,but you need to make sure it's what you both want.and just fyi,the wedding day is usually the brides time,so what she wants in a ceremony and such is the rule.your just there as a legality.

which part of indiana are you from?

Martinsville or what i like to call Martintucky. HAHA!! J/k Yeah we both want this, he is the reason we got together in the first place. Trust me, we all know it's the womans day. :) Thank you so much for everything. You have been a great help. Anything else I should know???? Any other legal stuff or hoops I have to get through?

• Administrator
Ministers of the gospel and priests of every church throughout the state may perform marriages. ---Ministers must return the marriage license and a certificate of marriage to the clerk of the circuit court within 3 months after the marriage. ---For questions see the clerk of the circuit court.

Sounds to me like all the minister needs to do is sign the license and submit it to the circuit court.

However, as always, your best bet is going to be contacting that circuit court and determining whether or not your friend needs to "register" as a minister, or if signing the license is good enough.

fyi:ministers do not need to register in indiana(or michigan,illinois,kentucky.ohio is another whole story).if there is any question,it would have to be brought by the couple as the counties and state don't really pay any attention,unless it involves a divorce.

Indiana is easy I have married over 200 couples.

Just get the marriage license<couple>, sign it after the ceremony. Make sure of the following

BRIDE signs her maiden name NOT the married name. on the form.

The ceremony book provided by the state is for the couple, rest of the license is self explanatory, and just drop it off in the envelope provided.

Make sure you read it over<license>, before you mail it in.

Also INDIANA CLERKS like the title REV , not letters meaning something. like joe smith oqp..this is not liked, just put REV..and no denomination mentioned<it isn't on there anyhow>.

You will do just fine

REVPO :coffee:

Just get the marriage license<couple>, sign it after the ceremony. Make sure of the following

The ceremony book provided by the state is for the couple, rest of the license is self explanatory, and just drop it off in the envelope provided.

Also INDIANA CLERKS like the title REV , not letters meaning something. like joe smith oqp..this is not liked, just put REV..and no denomination mentioned<it isn't on there anyhow>.

You will do just fine

Wow, great info. Thank you so much yall.

I too have performed a few ceremonies in Indiana. No need to register anywhere, ( unless it is a county requirement). I myself, make it a practice to personally deliver the certificate back to the courthouse for registration. I also get a copy of it before leaving the courthouse with the date filed stamped on it. It is a requirement that the officiant keep a record in their files.

• 1 month later...

You will do just fine

The state of Washington's law is similar to Indiana in that you do not need to register either with the state or the county. You may wish, if you are intendiing to minister in Washington,contact the County Auditor in your county, as that is the official you will deal with. Just as with Indiana, just use the format: Rev. Joe Blow, D.D. there is no reference to your religious tradition. Best wishes.

• 3 months later...

I was reading through the posts because I too was wondering about marrying people in Indiana. I have a couple of other questions though. I have tried to call my clerks office to find out, but I am certain that they are clueless. I live in Lake County Indiana and my best friend asked me to marry her and her fiance. Anyway, I am under the assumption that I do not have to register-would anyone know if this is really true? It would be horrible to go through all of that for it to be void. Also, when the bride signs her name does she sign her current name(she was married before and has still been using that last name)or her actual madien name? Thanks so much!!!!

I was reading through the posts because I too was wondering about marrying people in Indiana. I have a couple of other questions though. I have tried to call my clerks office to find out, but I am certain that they are clueless. I live in Lake County Indiana and my best friend asked me to marry her and her fiance. Anyway, I am under the assumption that I do not have to register-would anyone know if this is really true? It would be horrible to go through all of that for it to be void. Also, when the bride signs her name does she sign her current name(she was married before and has still been using that last name)or her actual madien name? Thanks so much!!!!

as strange as lake county is,no you are not requried to register.

as far as the bride,i would check with the county clerks office on that.she can ask when they go pick up the license.