30 replies to this topic

#1 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts
  • Ordination Date:03/26/2002

Posted 22 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

Have you ever gotten the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSoD)?

Attached File  BSOD.gif   37.04KB   0 downloads

You see it pop up and try as fast as you can you never can read all of what it says before it blinks out and reboots. Have you ever wondered what it really says? Wanted to research the error it is give you but don’t have time to copy it down? Well this is a tip for you!

Right-click “My Computer”
Choose “Properties”
Click “Advanced” tab (Advanced system properties for Vista users)
Click “Settings” button in the “Startup and Recovery” pane
Uncheck “Automatically restart” and hit “ok” twice.

What this will do is as the directions above lead you to believe is not automatically restart after a BSoD. This will allow you time to copy down the important info of the error message before having to manually reboot using the trusty CTRL+ALT+DEL. Then it is off to Google you go!

#2 PastorWilbur

PastorWilbur

Master of the Weekly Deadline

• Members
  • 3,331 posts
  • Ordination Date:01/01/1765

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:49 AM

Whew!

One more reason why I'm glad I'm a Mac user.

#3 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

hey, i have had quite a few mac's crash on my users. Funny enough macs are now using processors orginally designed for windows and now offer the ability to run windows on a mac. The very first preview I seen of vista beta was on a mac notebook.

#4 *Former Member-tannhaus, that was deleted by the Pickle Conspiracy*

*Former Member-tannhaus, that was deleted by the Pickle Conspiracy*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:26 AM

hey, i have had quite a few mac's crash on my users.

With OS X 10.4?

#5 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

most were OS 10.X. Most were straight up hardware failures.

#6 *Former Member-tannhaus, that was deleted by the Pickle Conspiracy*

*Former Member-tannhaus, that was deleted by the Pickle Conspiracy*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:06 PM

most were OS 10.X. Most were straight up hardware failures.

Ah....well, you really can't blame the OS for hardware failures.

#7 Rev. Chuck Baker

Rev. Chuck Baker

Titled Member

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Ordination Date:April 8th 2002

Posted 24 October 2007 - 02:18 AM

If you are getting the BSoD with XP the problem most likely is your motherboard.

The first computer I had XP on ran fine and then the motherboard died and I had a new motherboard, memory and processor put in the old case and then reinstalled XP

Well the motherboard didn't like XP. XP would crash about ever 1 to 2 hours of use.

That motherboard died and I just got this new compaq computer and I reinstalled XP and it runs great. Then only problem I had was finding drivers to make this new hardware run under XP.

But the computer now is fully functional under XP and I am loving it. So, Don't assume XP is your problem. Your hardware might be to blame.

#8 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:10 AM

If you are getting the BSoD with XP the problem most likely is your motherboard.

while that could be the problem, the error would tell you that, and motherboard problems are one of the least likely to cause a BSoD. Drivers, adding hardware, and new apps are generally the most common causes.

#9 PastorWilbur

PastorWilbur

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

Is it just me or isn't it rather amusing to have such an error called the Blue Screen of Death?

#10 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:37 AM

There is an official name for it, but everyone just called it the BSoD becuase frankly, when you get it...your PC is dead (atleast until reboot).

#11 PastorWilbur

PastorWilbur

• Members
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:00 AM

Come to think of it, the term reboot is interesting, too.

Kinda makes you want to kick your 'puter.

#12 Rev. Chuck Baker

Rev. Chuck Baker

Titled Member

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Ordination Date:April 8th 2002

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

while that could be the problem, the error would tell you that, and motherboard problems are one of the least likely to cause a BSoD. Drivers, adding hardware, and new apps are generally the most common causes.

In my case the info on the screen said that the crash was caused by an unknown driver error.

Since the system started crashing right after I installed XP on the new motherboard and before I added any of my own programs I assumed that it was caused by one of the motherboards hardware drivers. But I never could find out which one.

#13 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

did you start it in safe mode and add/remove the drivers one by one?

#14 Rev. St. Charles

Rev. St. Charles

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Ordination Date:11-30-07

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

The BSOD can be caused by everything from software problems to hardware problems. However, the error itself is generated by Windows. If you are getting this error, make no assumptions and Google it or check Microsoft's knowledge base directly at http://support.microsoft.com.

Although it CAN be a motherboard problem, in Rev. Baker's case I suspect the power supply.

Whenever you have a problem that seems to pop up after a certain period of time (such as what Rev. Baker had), the issue is usually one of heat. Some component in the computer got too hot and the computer crashed as a result. Given that he had already replaced the motherboard, CPU, and RAM (I assume it was an upgrade to something better) I suspect that the new components were too much for the power supply and kept crashing as a result. A faulty or weak power supply can cause a BSOD just as Rev. Baker described. I've ran into this before.

If anyone has ANY computer problems feel free to ask me.

#15 Rev_Phil

Rev_Phil

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Ordination Date:04/01/2006

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:17 AM

There's also the Black Screen of Death, same acronym (BSoD), and then there was in the old Mac OS days the Mac Chimes of Doom and the unhappy/dead little PC guy icon.

And everything said above, well it is indeed true. Bad hardware to bad software or faulty drivers, bad power supplies, memory or other devices not seated properly, cables not quite fully connected, heat issues, etc., can all cause all sorts of problems.

The cooling problem is usually solved by adding another case fan or two or some other cooling system, if your case has the room for them. Additionally, periodically check and clean any and all vents, with power off of course.

Kicking a computer isn't always wise...especially plastic cased ones. I really wouldn't recommend kicking a metal case barefoot.

#16 revjerry

revjerry

Senior Pastor

• Moderators
  • 2,230 posts
  • Ordination Date:08/01/1978

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

THe missus got one of those PC things with VISTA. Did our taxes on it. Next year couldn't call up old tax file for ref. TaxCut is supposed to do it automatically. Searched files, realized a lot of files weren't there.
Turns out Vista "calls home" from time to time and if you have a non-mickeysoft approved file in there it goes bye-bye.
This is fine for preventing counterfeiting, piracy, and downloading of illegal files like <gasp> music.
So I fixed that little problem.
Installed Windows XP. She wouldn't go for my suggestion of "Dump it and get a MAC."
SHe's happy, makes me happy.

PS: I :wub: my MAC!

#17 Rev_Phil

Rev_Phil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:40 PM

I don't know of anyone who likes Vista. Most people think because it's what's new that it's better, that's what came on the computer, that it's better, and they're stuck with it. Not true.

Installing XP was indeed a good choice, most people who I know who do have Vista have run into so many problems with it, have asked me what I can do to fix it, and I tell them that 1) I don't know anything about Vista, I refuse to touch the blasted thing, and 2) Install XP instead.

XP is more stable than Vista, and Windows 2000 is a lot more stable than XP. In fact, there were very few problems with 2000 when it came out. Now Windows (Windoesn'titwork, Windoesn't, etc.) 7 is out and the rumors say it's supposed to be better, more stable, and everything that Vista was not. We shall see.

Of course, you could always go the Linux route-most of it is Free Open Source Software (FOSS), except for generally the business/enterprise server editions. Aside from learning the command line specific to that distribution (distro) of Linux, it tends to work a whole lot better, and is even less prone to software based failures than either Windows or Mac.

Problems with Mac is that they tend to be more expensive and don't have quite as many programs as Microshaft, mostly in the video game department. But, then again, I do like to play video games, so that's just me.

#18 Eynion De' Tilston

Eynion De' Tilston

Just wanna ride my motorsickle

• Master Debater
  • 5,895 posts
  • Ordination Date:10/10/1981

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:12 PM

I guess I'm a fluke. I have Vista and I like it. No problems.

#19 mdtaylor

mdtaylor

The Non-Conformist Philosopher

• Admin
  • 10,026 posts
  • Ordination Date:March, 1979

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:41 PM

I guess I'm a fluke. I have Vista and I like it. No problems.

Your not the only one. I liked it so much I upgraded to Ultimate...

#20 Rev_Phil

Rev_Phil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:11 PM

Well, like I said, most people I personally know don't like it. I know I don't.

#21 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

I use Vista in an enterprise enviroment and it is actually much easier to admin then XP.

#22 Rev_Phil

Rev_Phil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:53 PM

To each their own. I've found that I personally prefer Linux over Microshaft products, but the command line generally throws me off. Without a reference sheet of Linux commands for that distro, I'm pretty much useless at the command line. Same goes for Windows. I know a few commands, and I know enough to get by and get done what I need to, but beyond that, I seek out people I know and trust.

No offense to you, Mr. Dorian Gray, but I've come across some IT professionals that still didn't know what they were doing. A college degree doesn't always mean "Hey this person knows what they're doing", but unfortunately, that's how the business world sees it.

I'm quite skilled in hardware-related repair of computers, I volunteer for a non-profit group that donates computers to low-income families, takes in donations of computers, recycles old computers. We put Linux on every machine that goes out the door, unless a volunteer has a copy of Windows and would like that installed. Otherwise, it's Linux (Vector Linux 5.9) that goes on every outgoing donated machine. I'm okay as far as software side stuff goes, up to a point. Some of the items you've posted I'll be sure to glance at every now and then, some I already knew.

Now I'm just waiting to see how Windows 7 fares.

#23 Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray

Benigno Numine

• Moderators
  • 29,695 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

No offense to you, Mr. Dorian Gray, but I've come across some IT professionals that still didn't know what they were doing. A college degree doesn't always mean "Hey this person knows what they're doing", but unfortunately, that's how the business world sees it.

None taken, If you need it, I can easily provide you a list of recommendations, skills, previous positions, and IT awards.

#24 Aina

Aina

Je suis le fromage.

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Ordination Date:05/26/2005

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I didn't like Vista at first and was going to install XP. Misplaced my install cd though, so I never did. I finally got used to it, but I still preferred XP.

I was looking forward to seeing the press on Windows 7, and it disappointed me. I feel they should offer a free basic upgrade to all the people they shafted by forcing them to pay for Vista with a new system like I had to. I can't use certain programs that require me to have SP2 installed because SP2 somehow breaks the sound feature on Toshiba laptops (probably others too, but not sure) so I had to backroll it. Instead, they want me to pay $120 for just an upgrade to what may possibly be another crap system? No thanks.

#25 Rev_Phil

Rev_Phil

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

None taken, If you need it, I can easily provide you a list of recommendations, skills, previous positions, and IT awards.

That won't be necessary; I believe you are well experienced and qualified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users